Skip navigation

Definition of styles

Back to the top

Definition of styles

Hi there! I've had 4 V dubs over 3 years and I've read plenty of Performance VW and Golf + magazines, however, I'm still fuzzy when it comes to definitions of styles (Rat-look, SoCal, OEM, OEM+, etc). Anyone out there who can shine a light for me? I know most cars don't fall into 1 specific style and style is subjective, but I'd just to know what they represent!

Back to the top
Its basically, something the magazines have "invented" to try and comparmentalise all the cars out there. Its utter tosh, really.

Back to the top
i alwayswonderd what OEM stands for tho, i take it it's an abreviation for something????

1982 Non Sunroof Black 1600 GTI

2003 MKIV Golf PD150 GT TDI

Back to the top
OEM - doesn't it (somehow) mean original?

Back to the top

lakesk8 said

i alwayswonderd what OEM stands for tho, i take it it's an abreviation for something????

Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Used when describing parts, they might not be branded VW and come in their packaging, but its the same part from the same supplier who supplied VW.

OEM+ is when you use better versions of OEM parts, possibly from other models in the range. For example, 16V Golf engine in a Mk1 is the obvious example.

Back to the top
Ratlook is when things are structurally sound and have been designed to look like sheds (or other stages of on their way to becoming sheds).

It is NOT just a scrapper, but many people will describe rustboxes as "ratlook" to try to sell them.

Cal look.. not sure how to describe it.  Can't imagine it on a Mk1, TBH, only on a Bug/van.

Back to the top
i thought rat look originated from people spending all there money on engines, brakes etc but not bothering with aesthetics?  :dontknow:

Back to the top

paul_c said

Its basically, something the magazines have "invented" to try and comparmentalise all the cars out there. Its utter tosh, really.
not much more to say really.

Back to the top
What on earth is 'SoCal' then??? Sounds like a drinks sweetener! Or is it just 'Cal'?

Back to the top
according to google SoCal = Southern California.

and this, is apparently a So Cal mk4:

Back to the top
dont care wat others say i got my own style (see sig pic)

hello!

Back to the top
you are using the word 'style' very loosely there

Back to the top
*leans against juke box in track suit and puts thumbs up and shouts chickens!!!!*

god i'm kool.

to kool for you all.

hello!

Back to the top
:lol:

Back to the top

hello!

Back to the top
you need a bigger 'style' budget. or some nail varnish.

Back to the top
that style is know as the ROT look :wink:

Back to the top
Rug On Top

Back to the top
or  ROS look

right old shed :lol:

Back to the top
i've never liked beetles
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.