Skip navigation

Back from Gaydon

Back to the top

Back from Gaydon

Just got back from a day at Gaydon, was really nice to put some faces to names. Hopefully should be back up again tomorrow

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
how long did it take you to get there? what time are you going tomorow want a convoy ?

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
took an hr and 15mins but we went a38,m6 toll, m43 & m40. Apparently would be better going onto the m1, off at j21 and then doing something else!! I have  a map anyway.
Not sure what time we are going as Im suffering really badly with sunburn and a banging headache from the heat. just drinking loads of water and going to have an early night and hope i feel better.
I'll PM you my mbl no. what time were you thinking? it'll just be me & the kids, gaz is mending my car so Ill be in the cab…which i hardly drive so should be fun!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
I'll be there tomorrow, what was today like?

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
i was thinking of setting off about 9am , i was thinking of going M1,M42,M40 ?

Back to the top
my map says m1, then m69 then cont forward onto a46, then m40 briefly and then the b4451 & 4100 which are right near gaydon.

im up now but need to co-ordinate children! what time & where do you want to meet? 9am seems a bit early ;)

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
how about meeting in morrisons carpark on sir frank whittle way ,derby at  9.45.

Back to the top
sounds good to me. il have my mobile on me. cant drive too fast though, im incapable  :lol:  make a picnic, theres no food really.

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
ok will see you there, and anybody else who wants to come, my mobile is

Back to the top
Im safely back yet again. Had a great time but bit more stressful today as had the babies.

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
I didn't make it :( car kept cutting out on me on M25 this morning, ended up AA taking me home. Battery was not charging up properly, even after charging this morning. A new battery tomorrow, I am so gutted, has anyone taken pictures?

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
I've just arrived back, after a long journey home.

It was a good event this time round, we were lucky with the weather (in fact if anything, it was a touch too warm!) except for 1 shower on Sunday which didn't last long. It was really relaxed and I met and chatted with loads of people, and had a good look round the cars too. There were around 50-60 MK1s there, I think? Managed to sell a few parts, also sold a bit of the merchandise so it was a reasoably successful day.

Set off home, only to get caught in a big queue, then found that the motorway was closed so I turned round and went back to where I came from! Apparently, a motorcycle rider was shot on the motorway, possibly related to a biker rally taking place over the weekend. See here for a news story. I passed a large group of bikers on the way home, at high speed. I hope I didn't upset them too much!

Back to the top
Yeah saw that paul, didn't hit the motorway, went B roads to bypass it, looked really bad.
As regards gaydon, weather was pretty spot on, met loads of other members and saw the mk1's i waited to see in flesh, had plenty of laughs 'TEFAL', you know what i am on about lol, it was a good weekend, defo again next year, Will post pics up when i get round to sorting them.
Thanks for a top weekend, it was well organized and i came home with a prize :mrgreen:
Pete    :wink:

Back to the top
Just back… well a while ago having unpacked and had a brew.

The M40 was chocker going London bound but the A4100 and A452 took us past the long queues and straight on at junction 14 for a 2.5hr run home.

I was looking for loads of Dubs from tatton coming in the opposite direction but there were few to be seen.

Cars were up to the usual high standard (I would have put mine in the Standard Cabriolet section instead of Show N Shine… I would have won a prize then  :banghead: ).

The car for me was the blue 'X' reg GL 5 door. I love the non GTI cars more then the higher spec ones cause there are more interesting things to look at!!!

Well done to all those who organised this year…. Hairyarse, You're sacked…..

Ant & Claire… You're on…!!!

Dan (not as drunk as last year and NO hangover this morning!!!)

Back to the top
we went b roads all the way home.

not only was m40 closed due to the shooting. the a46 was also close due to an accident (pile up from what i understand) so we added 30 mins onto our journey time.

all in all a good time was had. nice to see new faces as well as the old ones lol. oliver had tired himself out so much he was aslepp alot off the way home.  the mk1 behaved which i didn't expect.

bring on 2008 3 day event!!!!!

hello!

Back to the top
The journey back to North Devon was great, no traffic at all, the M5 in the other direction was queued for miles though :)
Made the 190 mile trip back in less than 3 hours :o The car didn't miss a beat even though its had been layed up for 3 years with no use. I had a grin all the way home, hatchbacks are no doubt much nimbler and more fun to drive than cabbys, but I do miss the open top.

Cheers to everyone that organised the event, and sorry I wasn't there to help set up this year. Missing the AGM was a shame, congrats to the new committee members and a big thanks to those that have stepped down this year for all their hard work.

See you all next year hopefully if not before,

Ross :D

Back to the top
I'm home!  :D

Final mileage=697 miles.  8O

I'll comment and put up all photos tomorrow.

Way too tired now… :boohoo:

Back to the top
Thankyou everyone for a terrific day, was my first MK1 oc event, and its the start of things to come, as I bought my full membership too.

Nice to see some familiar faces, due to the fact i used to work for VW and GSF for a long time.

Nice one

Warren

HAVE VW ETKA 7.0 SO CAN HELP IF YOU NEED A PART NUMBER FINDING. PM ME.

Back to the top
We got lost on the way home trying to go cross country and find the M1, got there eventually (M1 was pretty chocker too!)

Great to see everyone, still downloading pics from the camera, I think I got every Mk1 there!

Great atmosphere during the camping, nice to see new and familiar faces!

The two blue cars (5 door GL and the G40 converted Golf C) were my favourites.

Many thanks for the honorary membership! Will be treasured. I'll do more of a write up tomorrow when I'm awake!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top

marsredgti said

I'm home!  :D

Final mileage=697 miles.  8O

I'll comment and put up all photos tomorrow.

Way too tired now… :boohoo:

Well done Andy , we will post your mini video later !

Cheers……….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.