Skip navigation

Wiring in a stereo for a n00b

Back to the top

Wiring in a stereo for a n00b

Position 2 powers all circuits, there is no intermediate position. I think only US built cars had it.

There are switched 12V supplies on the fusebox triggered by the headlamp position switch which are sometimes useful.

The MFA does provide useful information on oil temp (permissable engine speed) and exterior temp (possibility of ice).

Banner

Back to the top

Nipper99 said

(Does a good driver really need a ?350 electric Rear-View Mirror)
No,  but the Car Manufactures needs the profit that comes from selling this unnecessary Item.

Do you think car manufacturers made less profit per car in 1976 than today?

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

The MFA does provide useful information on oil temp (permissable engine speed) and exterior temp (possibility of ice).

All three of these items could have been fitted with less complications, and after a while the MFA  information  became so unreliable my old Oil Temp Meter never cried wolf when there was no Wolf.
The only reason I have changed the MFA twice in the past is to maintain the value of the car.

Permissible engine speed, ?
I drive by the rev counter, and with the Beetle it was by the sound of the engine, my Volksbuses have had rev counters fitted and I have never had a rev counter fail on me yet.

I don't think Volkswagen invented the Temperature gauge,  they just made it more complicated.
Don?t get me wrong,  like all of you I love my VW?s   (The ones that I have),  I don?t just refer to VW all modern cars these days are the same,
Renault most likely the worst.

Well spotted,  yes I agree that when you take the price of goods today,  and how much they have risen over the years comparably the car prices have not risen half as much.
What they have done is learnt from the government, (Who have hidden Taxes)
These extra Taxes come in the price of Spare parts and servicing, there are so many parts these days,  that after an owner has forked out an inflated price for the part,  he is then told it can only be fitted by the car manufacture themselves,  due to the special  tools required.

Thanks for your input in this subject.

Best Regards,

Tony

Back to the top

Nipper99 said

dubboy said

All three of these items could have been fitted with less complications, and after a while the MFA  information  became so unreliable my old Oil Temp Meter never cried wolf when there was no Wolf.
The only reason I have changed the MFA twice in the past is to maintain the value of the car.

Permissible engine speed, ?
I drive by the rev counter, and with the Beetle it was by the sound of the engine, my Volksbuses have had rev counters fitted and I have never had a rev counter fail on me yet.

I don't think Volkswagen invented the Temperature gauge,  they just made it more complicated.
Don?t get me wrong,  like all of you I love my VW?s   (The ones that I have),  I don?t just refer to VW all modern cars these days are the same,
Renault most likely the worst.

Well spotted,  yes I agree that when you take the price of goods today,  and how much they have risen over the years comparably the car prices have not risen half as much.
What they have done is learnt from the government, (Who have hidden Taxes)
These extra Taxes come in the price of Spare parts and servicing, there are so many parts these days,  that after an owner has forked out an inflated price for the part,  he is then told it can only be fitted by the car manufacture themselves,  due to the special  tools required.

Thanks for your input in this subject.

Best Regards,

Tony

It seems a pretty uncomplicated and cheaper way to me to be able to display the oil and ambient temps in an LCD rather than separate gauges. These functions of the MFA are pretty reliable (unlike the others), any fault usually being the the life of the LCD. I referred to use of the oil temp display as an accurate gauge of maximum permissable engine speed during warm up period. If you read any car handbook it will inform you that using high engine speeds during warm up decreases the life expectancy of the engine. The MFA therefore provides more accurate info to the driver to allow him to increase the life expectancy of the engine. It is also one of many reasons why the durabilty of engines has increased from the Beetle (which had no engine temp display).

In terms of profitability, for sure the consumer never wants to pay for anything. He gets a cracking deal on a new car but still does want to pay much for parts and service. If you account for inflation, I would propose the cost of ownership for parts and service of cars is less today than it was 30 years ago, especially when you consider the 3 or 5 year warranties given today and the extended service intervals.

Regarding "he is then told it can only be fitted by the car manufacture themselves" this is not true. Since Block Exemption, anyone can repair the fault provided it is done to the manufacturers standard without affecting the warranty. Parts, special tools and service information are all available. Yes there is a cost to develop this which in the end the consumer must pay for.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Nipper99 said

[.

Dear dubboy
Lets look at each of your points in turn
It seems a pretty uncomplicated and cheaper way to me to be able to display the oil and ambient temps in an LCD rather than separate gauges.
Ill grant that the MFA is cheaper to Manufacture which is why VW used it,  so that,  when it required replacing, which is often the case,  that?s when they get their profit, it could be replaced with clocks at a quarter of the price.
These functions of the MFA are pretty reliable (unlike the others), any fault usually being the the life of the LCD.
Which is not very long
There are countless owners that have had severe wrong readings from the oil temp display until such time that they don?t know whether to rely on it or not,  and have ended up fitting clocks,  so as to have a reliable indication.
have you not read these threads

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36797
Here?s another
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36715
And another
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36025
I could fill this page with MFA Problems
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29534
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36369
Lets go to another Forum, where this comment was made stated
?The MFA would probably be another fault, they seem to be a law unto themselves and account for no end of enquires and problems.?
Then there was 22 MFA Problems on the first page never checked the other 7 pages of MFA Problems.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?action=search2
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?action=search2
Another Forum you?ll find a few here
 http://www.clubgti.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1114001
I wonder why he took the MFA out ?
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132050&highlight=MK1+MFA
Yet another Forum
http://www.demonvwforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15142&p=126282&hilit=MK1+MFA#p126282
I referred to use of the oil temp display as an accurate gauge of maximum permissable engine speed during warm up period. If you read any car handbook it will inform you that using high engine speeds during warm up decreases the life expectancy of the engine. The MFA therefore provides more accurate info to the driver to allow him to increase the life expectancy of the engine.
Below is a JPG again of my Campaign Owners Handbook, clearly stating  what one should do when starting the engine,  move off straight away being aware of the Operating Temperature.
This proves your point,  but it also proves that you read that small LCD while in motion, so you can get a idea of the Operating Temperature. !!!!!

It is also one of many reasons why the durabilty of engines has increased from the Beetle (which had no engine temp display).
I did not mention the Beetle as a car to own,  or what I require from a car,  so why are you mentioning it,  are you reading my Posts OK.
It is cars built in the Late 80?s up till now that are the worst offenders.
In terms of profitability, for sure the consumer never wants to pay for anything. He gets a cracking deal on a new car but still does want to pay much for parts and service.
No he does not want to pay much for parts & service.
If you account for inflation, I would propose the cost of ownership for parts and service of cars is less today than it was 30 years ago, especially when you consider the 3 or 5 year warranties given today and the extended service intervals.
You are stating what I stated in my earlier post, I don?t think I?m going to get through at all, I do admit my Grammar is not the best,  but most understand my emails and posts.
Regarding "he is then told it can only be fitted by the car manufacture themselves" this is not true.
I totaly disagree, this is true in many cases.
Since Block Exemption, anyone can repair the fault provided it is done to the manufacturers standard without affecting the warranty. Parts, special tools and service information are all available.
Special Tools !!! ?
Yes there is a cost to develop this which in the end the consumer must pay for.
Exactly my point, in the end the consumer must pay.

Hoping you have a sense of humour I ask ?
Why should I think you work in a modern car showroom ?.

Best Regards,

Tony.

Back to the top
Dear All
I realised that I had posted something on this radio thread that only part off my post was to do with fitting a car radio.
The rest of the post was about Buying a Modern Motor Car, I have now started a new thread on.
LINK
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=247974

Forgive me I am new at it

Best Regards,

Tony

Back to the top
Nipper99, you might have a big surprise if/when you find where dubboy works!

On the general issue of reliability, lets not forget we're talking about 25+ year old cars here. That length of time has revealed a bunch of common areas which fail, I think the MFA issue isn't too bad considering the time. Many modern cars' components don't last too long outside their manufacturers warranty period. And many other cars of the era have sharply decreased in numbers due to much more serious issues (corrosion) and lack of parts availability.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Nipper99, you might have a big surprise if/when you find where dubboy works!

On the general issue of reliability, lets not forget we're talking about 25+ year old cars here. That length of time has revealed a bunch of common areas which fail, I think the MFA issue isn't too bad considering the time. Many modern cars' components don't last too long outside their manufacturers warranty period. And many other cars of the era have sharply decreased in numbers due to much more serious issues (corrosion) and lack of parts availability.

Dear Paul,
I am fully aware that dubboy is the chairman of this forum,  I always check these thing before commencing,  if that is the case that you are referring to as his full time job.  but I always thought these Forum s were run on a Hobby basis.
You say
Many modern cars' components don't last too long outside their manufacturers warranty period.
Exactly my point, then it is fork out for your spares at inflated prices

Nobody is going to convince me that this piece of LCD is going to be more reliable and more accurate and safer than a set of clocks,  it is almost as dangerous as a Mobile Phone. and any piece of electronic gear that is placed immediately under the window screen,  should have had more thought put into its design,  
That goes for the Relay/Fuse-Box as well,   most of those relays should only cost half what they do.
If the Modern Car manufacture wishes to impose this gadgetry onto the unfortunate unsuspecting Driver/Owner then,   Its about time they taught their modern mechanics to repair, as opposed to replace.
Fortunately as an electronics engineer,  I am able to repair most relay problems.
I can buy a Complete Stand Alone USB DVD Writer for Under ?40,  yet after I cleared a couple of dry joints on a guys relays, which was caused through a poor seal on his window screen,  he informed me that he had just bought a new relay at a cost of ?40 from a VW dealer, he pointed it out to me,  there was no more than a fivers worth of parts inside, I fixed that one as well, and gave it to him as a spare.

Paul & dubboy Would you mind if I moved our comments over to the
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=248014

Best Regards,

Tony.
www.helios-electronics.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.