Skip navigation

Mk1 Length??

Back to the top

Mk1 Length??

Hi folks

Just trawled the first few pages of several Google searches trying to find out the length of a Mk1 tintop.

Anyone know?  ASAP would be great - I need to know whether my car would fit into a garage attached to a house my parents are thinking of offering on!!

It's very close.

Thanks a lot, Dom

Back to the top
If I had a tape measure handy id nip outside and get it for ya , afraid I havent got one long enough  :|

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
I've just done that but Dad's tape measure is in feet and so it gave me some ridiculous 'old-fashioned' number that I have since forgotten.

Will go out again.  There'll be an inch in it whether or not the car fits.  ..which, if it fits, would mean going far enough to actually bump the wall every time I park.  Maybe not so good an idea!!

Back to the top
If it fits there will only be an inch?? HAHA you will have to get those parking sensors that beep BEEP BEEP

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
3.815 meters

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
if you screw a length off wood to the floor and just touch it with your tyres when parking your sorted!!!!

perfect parking every time and you can position it so you mm away from wall

hello!

Back to the top
Just run with no bumpers, that'll give you a few more inches :wink:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
3.815 - cheers Rich.  Now I'll just have to see how far out the tow bar protrudes :/

Rov, that's an amazing idea.  That really is genius.  My friend uses a pingpong ball suspended from the ceiling, so she knows to stop when it touches windscreen, but that is a much better idea.. way more accurate.

Thanks all :D

Back to the top
Garage is 3.974m.  It's too close to call.. I've got 15.9cm "spare" - my towbar could easily extrude that far!!

Moment of truth will be the day I try it, should we buy the house..

I'll let you know :)

Back to the top
who builds a garage you can barely fit a mk1 golf in its not exactly a large car! :banghead: hope for your sake it fits :D

Back to the top
Just measured towbar.  Car comes to 3.935m.  Garage is 3.974m.

Do you think the length is actual space, or would I need to account for the garage door?  :?

Ridiculous garage.  The other one is long enough for any normal car, but Dad has shotgunned that one..

Back to the top
Only way to tell is to measure the garage yourself

Back to the top
You'd get a load more space if you took off your front bumper. :wink:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
But why, Dave?  It wouldn't protect the car should I bump into anything, the insurance would probably go up, and most importantly, it'd look crap  :D  8O  :oops:

Dom

Back to the top
are u sure you're measuring it length ways?

:lol:

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
Ah!  I knew I'd done something wrong! :)

Nah, it's 3.163m wide.

Dom

Back to the top
And a MK1 is 1.63m wide  :wink: (gti)

Back to the top
Really?!?!?

I could nearly get two in then!!

How on earth is it so narrow?  I'd never realised.  I suppose it's all proportional!

Back to the top
My garage is only just about long enough to get my gti into…. So now I'm doubling it's length out the back  :D

Back to the top
Hey man, wasn't my question.

You ask 'em and I'll answer 'em. :lol:

Yradave says relax.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.