Skip navigation

Speeding offense advice...

Back to the top

Speeding offense advice...

A couple of weeks ago I went through a gatso at the required 50mph and gently started to accelerate for the 70mph stretch thats probably quarter of a mile up the road.  The old bill had parked their van between the gatso and the 70 stretch and caught me doing 61.

I'm not arguing that, what I'm arguing is they've written to me describing where they caught me and said it was a '30mph restricted road'.  Unless there were some invisible road works and temporary speed restrictions that I and everyone else on the road didn't see it was definitely the usual 50mph limit.

Has anyone got any advice?

Back to the top
1st point was the police vehicle a camera van, if yes ask for the photo to prove it was your car.

if the road is 50mph go and take a number of photo proir to the gatso get the signs of the 50MPH with road and then after towards the 70MPH.

You will have to ask for a court date to give this information to the court.

The only thing you've done wrong is to pick your speed up after the 50MPH and proir to the 70 zone

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
How did they catch you? was it the camera in the back of a van?
If so, write back asking for a picture, this should show the road
markings signs etc.. then go and take a picture of the road
yourself, (as evidence) if you are in the clear you can either……..

A) Go to court (Magistraits court)  and argue your case
    (not as bad as it seems!) been there……..

B) Take the pictures to a Solicitor ?60 for a briefing (approx)
     they will advise you if you can appeal against it etc…..

C) Take the points / fine (not advisable)

I got caught 7 years ago, doing 103mph in a 60mph area
went to court fearing the worse and ended up with 9pts
and a fine, basically I was honest and pleeded my case as
it was a long straight road no houses,cars,people around etc..

At the end of the day, a lot depends on the Magistraits views.

Good luck whatever you do  :wink:

Dibbler

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
i'm afraid if you were doing 61 in a 50 zone and they can prove it, you are stuffed.

Back to the top
61 in a 50 I'm not disputing and will take the points and fine for that, I just don't want them trying to pin 61 in a 30 on me, which would be much more serious…

thanks everyone else for the advice!

Back to the top
the only good thing is, that they are trying to do you for the 30mph zone, which does not exist. so in theory, you could ask for the case to be dismissed (by the judge) as the documentation is incorrect.

Back to the top
Im with wooders on this one, if they are claiming its a 30mph zone then the evidence presented is wrong, my brother got caught doing 130 mph on an R1 bike (de accelerating i might add!) by traffic police 8O  they wrote him up as 100mph sent summons etc but had put the wrong reg on the paperwork!!! "not my bike im afraid" case binned :lol:
I personally dont like the camera vans either they are sneaky so and so`s!!! putting it mildly!! they always hide within 150 yards of where theres already a camera, so whats the point in that? get confirmation its a 50mph road from the council, take photos of the posted signs then speak to a solicitor, if the "community camera partnership" (not police) are saying its a 30mph it should get thrown out as its all based on that evidence 11mph isnt excesive ove 50mph but 31mph is!!! hell i have had people walk out of court scott free for burglary when I caught them climbing out the window of the burgled house!!! go to court plead your case but do it thriough a solicitor its better they speak for you as they know the tricks and wont get tongue tied or tripped up!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Good advise, well said  :wink:

Dibbler

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
my mate caught doing 120 in a 50….mispelt his middle name in correspondence……bin.

Collect evidence as suggested, and just don't pay….if they come after u, show them why.

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
One further point the cameras/guns/speedos are required to be calibrated at regular intervals and if they haven't been done and you query it - gets chucked out.

The advice I had was "make it as awkward/expensive as you can and make them prove it"

So first up ask for the photograph, it will have some details printed on it Date/Time etc - check it all carefully, any errors and it won't stand up.

Secondly ask when the camera/gun was last calibrated and ask for a copy of the certificate.

Speedos in Police cars I believe have to be done every day ? and the advice I read was "if stopped by a car never admit you were speeding - if asked how fast you were going be polite but ALWAYS say 30mph, 50mph or whatever the speed limit is" if you admit it you're doomed… if not then they normally won't proceed unless they have all the evidence/speedo calibrations etc.

You could of course always drive within the correct speed limit  :P

Andy

Back to the top
Were there any road works being done and / or traffic cones spaced out along the side of the road?

I got hit with a fine & 3pts outside edinburgh airport ( the road is normally a 40 or 60 can't remember off top of my head ). Was doing 45-50 & got pulled over by an unmarked vehicle, aparently cause they were constructing a new head quarters for the RBS the road had been reduced to a 30 (which according to the orifice issuing the ticket, was signified by the cones along the edge of the road…)

On the spot fine was handed out, that or I'd have had to have argued my case in court….. and could have ended up paying double  :tlc:

Back to the top
Yea coming out of Rotherham they park just up the road from the fixed camera 'casue they know everyone only does 30 for the camera and then drives normally again :roll:

I'm also very wary of long striaghts, they know people get some speed up (its long and straight) and can pick you off whilst their van is just a spec in the distance.

The only time (fingers crossed touchwood etc), I was done was on a 70 mph dual carraiage way that had some sort of semi-permant 50mph limit on it. Was doing 61 then too.

Funny how the 100s of ?millions and 100s of thousands of police manhours invested in speed cameras hasn't had the slightest bit of positive effect on the death rate. Its been around 3,500 a year for decades. You'd have though with all that effort it would have gone down by a hugh amount :dontknow:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Funny how the 100s of ?millions and 100s of thousands of police manhours invested in speed cameras hasn't had the slightest bit of positive effect on the death rate. Its been around 3,500 a year for decades. You'd have though with all that effort it would have gone down by a hugh amount :dontknow:

The figures you qoute are quite correct, but cameras do have the desired effect as everyone in a legal car slows for them, which means that particular place is safer, cameras only ever get put in place where there have been at least 4 fatal or very serious accidents within a year, the police dont have anything to do with the cameras or there enforcement, even police officers get points from them if they cant justify why they have set one off!! even if its on an emergency call, the police crash investigators do put forward recomendations but dont have final say, thats down to government and council authorities, lets face it speed is the one common thread when it comes to fatal accidents, then drink and drug use and bad driving, how many of us have been "saved" by a camera just because it slowed some other idiot down?

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
well I got stopped on wednesday by the cops and this copper was trying to convince me the benifits of speed scameras (oops sorry cameras) and I didnt take his rubbish about hidden cameras saving peoples lives as he was telling me, in fact I dont believe the visible ones save lives either due to people braking suddenly before and then speeding up directly after them, they cannot detect drunk or drugged drivers or even stolen cars and with people like Chief constable Brundstrom in charge I fail to accept these money making machines are anything other. In my view we need more police patroling the roads not cameras

Back to the top
well said, cameras generally do have an affect on speed, but like i said only on that small place where they are, more police instead of Community support officers and civvies is the way forward, unfortunately thats not whats happening, but thankfully the U turn is only just around the corner when all the funding gets pulled in 2 years, its a hopeless failure and a poor attempt at filling the streets with "replacements for police personell" the pcso role seems to be filled greatly with "wanabees" and some very worying characters who could never be police!!! thats why they end up there!

Back to the top
if they really wanted to reduce fatalaties on the roads, there would be speed cameras on 30mph zones, thats where most people get hit, comin into my village everyone does 50+ gradually slowin down as it gets busier

if you do end up in court, make the effort to show, suited up and be nice, thats worth a 1/3 off your fine, well it was for me 85 in a 60, 5 points and 200

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
i got bummed for doing 55 in a 30 thru a village that consists of 1 pub, 3 houses and a post office spread over about 50 feet. 60 road goin into the village and coming out again! god knows why there was a copper sat there! i go thru that village almost every day and he was the 1st person ive ever seen on foot there! haha! oh well 6points  and ?100!

Back to the top

el_sicko said

i got bummed for doing 55 in a 30

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
theyre as bad as the clergy!

Back to the top
dont start me on religon!!! biggest causes of war, death and argument EVER!!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.