Skip navigation

i need a fifth gear!!!

Back to the top

i need a fifth gear!!!

Should be identical apart from the extra length for the 5th gear, which is the bit covered by the endplate.

The code should be on the top edge of the bellhousing.

Back to the top
hi yeh cleaned it up and the code says its a 8P, just wanted to know can I use my existing gear linkage?  :dontknow:

thanks for all the help dude.

Back to the top
I'm still using the Golf linkage, but I have replaced the ball and cage at the gearbox end with the Polo items. It makes quite a difference to the shift feel. I also squashed the cage in a vice so that it has no slop around the ball.

The 8P is a good choice of box. I've got a GT box, which is great for fast road stuff but no good for cruising. I've now got an 8P to try, but haven't got the time to swap them over.

Back to the top
ok… my lil guide :)

i got hold of a 5speed box. mine was a 5speed box from a 1.3 mk2 golf, but i believe you can use mk2/mk3 polo 5speed boxes 2.

As far as modding 2 fit it in goes, yes….you will need to weld.
all i basically did was just used the original gearbox mount from the car, cut the bottom half of the mount off, and welded it 2 the top of the mk2 golf gearbox mount:

also, the rear mount had 2 b modded slightly, had to cut a lil slit in the rear mount for it 2 sit properly:

advisory, change the clutch, only cheap from GSF for like ?60, and doesnt take to long to do.

after its fitted, its just a matter of gettin all the gears. take off the rubber thing around the gear stick, and you will see 2 lil white plastic things held on both sides of the hole. pull them off as you wont have enough movement to select 5th and reverse. to be honest, i even had to bend the hole abit wider to get 5th and reverse for some reason :S.

i also put in a repair plate on the bulk head as i've erd they r prone 2 bend :S?

hope this helps.
PM if you need some help.

Back to the top
good work chris

thats how ive done mine, good work

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
why thank you ash :D

Back to the top
chris, where did you get the clutch cabe repair plate from? jools182 is looking for one; see post in bodywork and fittings
cheers

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

chris, where did you get the clutch cabe repair plate from? jools182 is looking for one; see post in bodywork and fittings
cheers

GSF my friend. Part no. 171-898-152, ?10.28 with VAT :)

Back to the top
thanks mate :) passed it on to jools

i've got the 5 speed box in my driver, 1300 MH engine from a mk2 polo, never taken a look at the gearbox mounting in any great detail, might bob down for a look in a bit

good job there  :)

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
if i remember rightly, your bought your car off a guy on e38?
i loved that car 2 pieces! really wanted his wheels, and the interior is pretty dam lush :)

i have many saved pictures of your car on my computer. ha :)
if it is the same car :)

???

Back to the top
nope sorry mate! that's not my car, looks really nice though, got any more pics of it? reg no looks very similar to mine, same wheels as well, but i put those on it myself when i bought it

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
this is my 5 speed chris,

full conversion shot inc. weber carb ;)

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
lush, nice 1. looks like he did it the same way i did.

hows morning starts with that K&N filter? i had a filter like that once, but made my carb ran awful, i just ended up using the original stuff.

Back to the top
it's great, manual choke so really easy to start, used to have nightmares with the pierturd. it starts and runs really well, don't need to leave the choke out too long

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Snakes alive ! Your gearbox is held in on that side with ONE bolt ?

Whats the movement like ? Any " pulling " around that bolt hole ?

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
nah, if im right, thats just a bolt 4 an earthing point?
the 5speed box mounts is very similar 2 a GTi 5speed box mount. the bolts go tru it side ways, not straight down. hence why you need to do some welding 2 that mount 2 make it fit.

Back to the top
Ah yes ! Apologies, didn't have my eyes in this morning ! :D

Real golfers don't play with clubs
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.