Skip navigation

NEED HELP ON ENGINE CONVERSION!!!

Back to the top

NEED HELP ON ENGINE CONVERSION!!!

ive recently bought myself a convertable golf 1.5. and to be honest with u its really slow, as Paul_C will know going to GTI Inters. so thought to myself i have a bit of money coming my way so engine conversion is the way forward. after alot of debating i came to the decision to go for a G60. But on having looking through ebay, ive found this little number. 230145246302 . could anyone tell me if this engine could be fitted without any major alterations. cheers
trev

Back to the top
Yes it could, but there are a few things you'd need to do for ANY conversion (except carbs):

Fuel tank
Fuel pump
Fuel lines
Fuel pump relay and other electrics

Also, makes sense to uprate the brakes (unsure if yours has solid or vented front discs?) and suspension at the same time.

I'd personally hang on for the G60, if you have that kind of money (or go for a high spec 16V instead???), if you wanted the 112bhp the Digifant on eBay offers, you may as well buy a stock GTI cabby.

I've been watching the prices, G60 tends to go for around ?900, 9A around ?300-400.

Back to the top
yeh i know what ur saying paul, but G60- ?2600 prob bit more, and that example on ebay ?300 fitted, mechanic friend of ine :). see my point, is anyone selling a 2.0 engine or here. If not i may sell the whole car and perhaps look at buying a tin top GTI. Cause then i wont have to alter the fuel pump and other stuff.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Genez said

yeh i know what ur saying paul, but G60- ?2600 prob bit more, and that example on ebay ?300 fitted, mechanic friend of ine :). see my point, is anyone selling a 2.0 engine or here. If not i may sell the whole car and perhaps look at buying a tin top GTI. Cause then i wont have to alter the fuel pump and other stuff.

If you have the money, no point it staying in the bank and having a slow car!

Back to the top
Well i have the money, but my mrs wants a house, and she says shes going to rip my ****s of and throw them at me if i spend too much, Well according to her were saving for a house. but u know how it is. so im trying to meet her half way by not as spending as much .lol

Back to the top
i'd seriously consider on how long the floppy will stay with you. if it's a long termer, then by all means, splash the cash for the g60.
 if, however, you're not sure on how long it'll be around you, go for a cheaper conversion. could go twin webber/dellorto's. think i would if i had a carbed motor to start with.

Back to the top

Genez said

Well i have the money, but my mrs wants a house, and she says shes going to rip my ****s of and throw them at me if i spend too much, Well according to her were saving for a house. but u know how it is. so im trying to meet her half way by not as spending as much .lol

You need to really have a good idea of the money you want to put to it, with a bit of flexibility (ie if something breaks on fitting, or is found to be defective, etc). Then you need to decide if you're going to put money towards a custom manifold and carbs; or to upgrade the rest of the car to fuel injection. Then you need to decide on suspension and brakes (this would depend on likely power output). Once you have sorted which brakes you're going to use, you might want/need to go for larger wheels. Then the leftover can go towards the engine and gearbox. I'd suggest keeping the same box, so that you get a nice lowish set of ratios. But it wouldn't be too much to go for a proper, close ratio GTI box; or for best performance, a box with lower final drive (eg from 1.6 GTI).

Back to the top

wooders said

i'd seriously consider on how long the floppy will stay with you. if it's a long termer, then by all means, splash the cash for the g60.
 if, however, you're not sure on how long it'll be around you, go for a cheaper conversion. could go twin webber/dellorto's. think i would if i had a carbed motor to start with.

well been with her for 6 years, tried my best to get rid but shes having none of it. lol. hmmm twin.webber/dellorto's. what sort of money would u think i would need for that. and where would u buy such parts from. Also what power would u estimate getting from them?

Back to the top

lol

foxymk1 said

buy a tin top, leave the slow floppies beheind

Funny boy

not all floppies are slow you know :lol:

Back to the top
lol mine def is lol :)

Back to the top

Re: lol

bens_cab said

Funny boy

not all floppies are slow you know :lol:
no just slower than the equivelant tin top

twin webber/dellorto's on a 16v do seem to run well. power? not too sure. i'd be guessing. it needs a bit more thought as paul says, on the budget side of things.
 think what sort of budget you have and then see wht options are available to suit that.

Back to the top
id say about ?1500 at the mo but workin on it.lol either that or the value of my car plus ?1500. what u think ppl

Back to the top

hmm

fit a 20vt costs 2k if you do it yourself

and it will be lots quicker than a slow tintop 8)

Back to the top
There's a couple of places which stock an inlet manifold to run twin Webers, on the 16V. I wouldn't bother with carbs on an 8V engine, the problem is that you never gain that much power because of heat from the exhaust manifold. With properly set up carbs, a 1.8 16V could make 160bhp and a 2.0 16V 180bhp or more - ie, no different to injection. The problem is, they tend to be less fuel efficient than injection once they're set up like this.

Back to the top
Or a 2.0l 16v 9a engine. quicker than any standard tintop and will be nigh on unstoppable with a turbo............... :lol:

White Clipper cab, 2l16v powered……..
Maintaned by www.rk-engineering.co.uk

Back to the top
well not to bothered about the fuel probs to be honest.  need to mae a choice really. either sell the car i have and buy a tin top. or upgrade the cabby not too sure, any sugestions people. good thig is about the cabby is its a solid car underneath, and is rust free.

Back to the top
?1500 should buy you:

2.0l 16V engine
Exhaust system
Inlet manifold + twin carbs (unsure)
9" servo and 22mm master cylinder
Uprated suspension
Oil cooler
Bigger radiator

Assuming you're doing the work yourself, you're within budget.

Bens_cab, does your ?2000 cover upgrade to suspension and brakes too?

Back to the top

lol

nope :lol:  :lol:

id done all that prior to deciding about the engine :lol:

make that 3k if you wanna be able to stop nice 8)

Back to the top
well another prob is, dont mind having a go myself only i havent got a grage or anywhere to store it you see. paul i remember talking to u at INTERS. i think i asked u then if u could help me out. ie engine rebuld and stuff. dont worry would pay you.lol what do u think
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.