Skip navigation

MODIFY OR SELL

modify or sell

it's your car, do as you please and enjoy it {-} [7 votes]
sell it original and bring a non standard one to life {-} [15 votes]
This poll is closed. You cannot vote unless it is reopened.

Back to the top

MODIFY OR SELL

decided i'm going to play about a bit with the mk1. it's been suggested that maybe i should sell it to some one to keep as standard and buy another one to play with. this option i think, is more or less on the basis of it being an atlas grey, not because it's a campaign.
opinions?

Back to the top
did some one modify my avatar thing for me? i couldn't work out how to shrink the photo in the sig.

Back to the top
If your looking for a modification may I suggest a small screw in the throttle body  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
tried it

Back to the top
ur car ur choice

would be a shame if u over modded it though but its your taste

you may find modding it de values it to some extent

hello!

Back to the top
atlas grey are a rare bread. I say sell it.

Back to the top

marsredgti said

If you sell it, who's to say the new owner won't modify it too? I say, do what you like - you seem to anyway. Why the sudden urge to modify anyway, possibly a little bit scared that a certain black 2l 16V and a certain red 20vT CABBY is going to embarrass you at Santa Pod at an upcoming meet???? he he

Back to the top

paul_c said

If you sell it, who's to say the new owner won't modify it too? I say, do what you like - you seem to anyway.

you'd be surprised how much i resist the urges.

seems like it's grinder out for the roof chop then.

Back to the top

paul_c said

marsredgti said

If you sell it, who's to say the new owner won't modify it too?

Obviously nobody can say that the new owner won't modify it. It would be nice to offer it to an enthusiast who would maintain the original status of a rare coloured mk1 campaign. (the whole foundation of the club  :wink:  )

Like others have said though, it is your car so knock yourself out with alterations…

Back to the top
yes, that's kind of what i was thinking. i was joking about the angle grinder too.
 in two minds still.

Back to the top

marsredgti said

paul_c said

marsredgti said

If you sell it, who's to say the new owner won't modify it too?

Obviously nobody can say that the new owner won't modify it. It would be nice to offer it to an enthusiast who would maintain the original status of a rare coloured mk1 campaign. (the whole foundation of the club  :wink:  )

Like others have said though, it is your car so knock yourself out with alterations…

Interesting take on things, I suppose the club IS about keeping the original cars, original. Strangely I kind of agree, despite having a modified one. Its a difficult path to tread, to modify a car and keep it an all-round good package. I took some decisions during my mods which make it a dream on a track day, but rather impractical day-to-day. But it still looks stock, apart from the lowering and bonnet pins.

Back to the top
she's a daily driver so mods won't be too harsh and not a major effort to reverse. engine will be the biggest hassle to revert to standard but i doubt most would bother doing that.

Back to the top
Difficult to really make it a good package then. Ideally for any type of track use, you want hard suspension and solid engine mounts. The Mk2 guys have Vibra-technics engine mounts (expensive) but I don't think you can get an equivalent for the Mk1. You can swap springs in coilovers but that would be a pain, every time you wanted to set the car up - may as well keep 2 sets of struts and swap/change as needs be. You could go for top adjustable damping.

Back to the top
PS I know you mentioned engine mods, and I talked about mounts and suspension. If you modify the engine but not the other parts, it might be ok but more likely "floppy" in a way you don't want it to be!!!

Back to the top
its your car so mod it how you please

Back to the top
i say do what you want to the car, i prefer to keep my sportline original-ish :wink: , well it is untill i find some 8j 15 BBS RS alloys for it :lol:  then i will lower it too, i think personally if you stick to reversible stuff like wheels suspension and exhausts, even interiors i think they only enhance a mk1, as long as you keep all the original bits and if its not a low mileage minter then i dont see the problem? cars are as individual as people wooders and as you are far more individual than most :lol:  modify it right now!!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

wooders said

she's a daily driver so mods won't be too harsh and not a major effort to reverse. engine will be the biggest hassle to revert to standard but i doubt most would bother doing that.

Realistically, what kind of stuff are you thinking of?

Back to the top
uprated brakes, lower strut, eibach roll bars, lowered a bit, may need 15" wheels depending on brake upgrade, 2.0 engine, home made front lower spoiler, zender 3 piece rear spoiler, no bumpers or rear seats.

Back to the top
How many valves?

Back to the top
i like 8 just fine. 3a belly 270 cam
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.