Skip navigation

Why is it so hard to sell a MK1 Campaign?

Back to the top

Why is it so hard to sell a MK1 Campaign?

Is this one of the most "must have" cars VW ever built, or am I just deluded?

I've been trying to sell it since March, and have only had two veiwings -I'm only offering it to enthusiasts because it is too good to wreck.

Where's the best place to advertise?

I just don't understand.

Back to the top
everything is for sale.............at the right price

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Yes but what is the right price, considering that my car is incredibly quick through the lanes, and it doesn't rattle, and I've just sunk ?500 in the rear arches, valance and spare wheel well…

Back to the top
Do you still want ?1500 for it and does it still need a respray?

MK1 GTI Wanted

www.swdubs.co.uk

Back to the top
Do you have more details? I think perhaps there isn't such a big differential between the Campaign and non-Campaign GTIs these days.

Back to the top
The price that someone will pay. Stick it on ebay with a full and honest description and let the market decide :dontknow:

Back to the top
Do you have a link to your ad?

Back to the top
The ad is in the for sale section of this Forum, under Good Home Wanted for MK1 Campaign.

I don't trust ebay, and will only use it as a last resort…before breaking (on a good MOT!!!) - either that or it will get towed :banghead:

Back to the top

Back to the top
I know its not a campiagn or T&T'd but this is whats out there, wish I'd spotted it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1981-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-WHITE_W0QQitemZ300120281800QQihZ020QQcategoryZ9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back to the top
This is a Campaign through and through and more original than most, and taxing it will take 5 minutes on line because the MOT runs out in January...

Back to the top
I checked out the ad, and to be honest its probably overpriced. If it still has areas in primer, despite your best intentions, it still falls into the "unfinished project" category. I would recommend sticking at it and finishing it properly, or if you really need the money now and have run out of space or something, accept that you're going to lose quite a bit because its unfinished. Realistically its around ?800-1000.

Back to the top
i personally think the series 1/2/campaign thing is diminishing year by year. simple fact is, it's going to get harder and harder to find a good mk1, period. this site does a hell of a lot to keep them going, but father time and mother nature are a formidible force.
 i think campaign owners can be a bit anal. campaign buyers can be the same. they'll pick on tiny minor items that they would not have an issue with on another mk1. alot of people on this site overprice their cars too.
 try thinking what you'd expect to get/be happy with getting for ?1500.

Back to the top
i just sold a tidy mars red up here in inverness scotland with 9 month mot and 2 months tax for ?1000. i dont think people are that bothered about the campaign tag so much, its more the individual car.  mk2 gtis seem to be making the money just now :evil:

Back to the top
I hear what you are saying, and from what I've seen people are prepared to pay good money for bad cars.

I could have sold this one for ?800.00 before I was decent enough to fix the rear end. So it seems the sum of the parts are worth more than the car. 5 good Pirelli 'P's with new P6000 tyres  - all new gear linkage, recently serviced gearbox, good engine that doesn't burn oil, fully sorted brakes and suspension based around the standard set up (see my other posts) how much more do I need to say. This really is upsetting me now…

I've had what I consider to be a top endorsement from a major contributor to this site, who happened to be a sprayer who was willing to pay the asking price and extra on top for all the other bits that I have, but things haven't gone according to his plan - I've held out for as long as I can for him…

Now, being a VW mechanic (so mechanically the car is pucker), I can get a good job done very reasonably to make the car into a looker, which in itself would save a wouldbe purchaser a tidy sum, as I have suggested before - you see the solid base to start with, now build me a car, which I have done - it just needs finishing in a paintshop.

Are folks seriously suggesting that if I am prepared to repaint the car I will be in the money? If people can't see past the primer, then I seriously doubt it. Still I will get some new up to date quotes…

… then again I could use aerosols, but that would leave a wouldbe purchaser in the same position but a whole lot poorer - I won't play that game.

I know the VeeDub scene is now centred elsewhere - mainly vans now, which to be honest is where my heart is, but this car has been hailed as the most important of the 20th Century, embracing real fun with everyday practicality and economy.

A 1.9TD Anniversary Transporter will sell for ?1,500 over book price, and then some, and the final edition van even more - and these have been abused and thrashed by builders and plummers, not cherished and enjoyed by an all out VW enthusiast…

Back to the top
In simple terms, yes, Mk1 Golfs which have had extensive work done never make the value that "the car owes them". At the end of the day, a car is only worth what you can sell it at.

Back to the top

stephentazz said

Are folks seriously suggesting that if I am prepared to repaint the car I will be in the money? If people can't see past the primer, then I seriously doubt it. Still I will get some new up to date quotes…

Hiya Fella,

I understand exactly where your coming from Stephen, in the past i have tried to be totally honest and frank with people when selling a car.. the way i see it your effectively allowing the buyer to choose the final colour etc etc.  

Unfortunately i have found that people/car buyers are a very suspicious and untrusting bunch and like you i have had my feelings hurt when all you or i are trying to do is sell a car that has meant a lot to me and help out the potential buyer..

As a result the quote above, i would say is accurate, i think you will make more money if you stick it in the spray shop and get her finished… When buying a car most people want to see the shiney results not the dull primer and dust stage. Mars red seems to sell well!

Wooders made a good point too, campagin owners and buyers are a bloody anal croud.. i count myself as one of them (unfortunately). My campaign is totally original, its only ever had one bump and i have all the pics to prove the damage /repair.. I was looking for an unrestored example that had no modifications at all.

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
I was beginning to feel like an outsider…thanks for the words of support guys…

I totally appreciate the fact that people can't see past the shiny bits, and that Campaign owners can be picky (to be polite). And I understand the trust issue as well.

But, I won't mention names, a chap just bought a Campaign for ?2,800 - it was a local car Had our plates on it - and he asked for a MOT. When stood on the ramp it didn't look right, the nearside front corner was about an inch lower then the otherside. Closer inspection revealed some panel gaps wider than the Grand Canyon and the nearside flitch panel was creased.

But the car looked shiny…

Anyway, looks like I will be spending my summer bonus on a paint job,
then we'll be looking at something of value, right?

Back to the top
I would say its going to be the best return on your efforts and investments…

Just pick a standard colour! lol

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
I notice that there are none on ebay at the moment…

I'm still having second thoughts on the repaint…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.