Skip navigation

My Gti Resto continues (Help! I've got a question to ask...)

Back to the top

My Gti Resto continues (Help! I've got a question to ask...)

Cracking job on the sills, keep it up.

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

Cracking job on the sills, keep it up.

Cheers, It's the first time I've worked on a golf, I've no idea what I'm doing lol! I've got the gti restoration manual which I keep refering to but it only gives instructions on replacing panels, it doesn't give you anything if it goes tits up and you have to make your own panels.

I'm going to get back to this on Sat and finish the floor and outer wheel arch!

Back to the top
I finally finished off the floor and welded back the seat support and floor crossmember.
I refitted the door to check alignment and much to my annoyment, it fits perfectly at one end (Towards the front of the car) with a gap of 4mm. Towards the back end of the car, there is a cap of about 7-8 mm.

All the measurements are the same as when I started, so there's been no movement when I cut the original sills out one at a time.

Is that common of pattern parts? I'm gonna try and hammer it level but I'd rather leave it than make a mess of a perfectly good panel.

Back to the top
Pattern parts are notorious for needing some fettling after they've been fitted, and I'd guess that is the cause of your problem (plus there may be some distortion following the welding).

How is the fit around the rest of the door?

Rich

Back to the top
The fit around the door is perfect. It's just the bottom. I may just leave it, it's bearly noticable, I don't want to be bashing up metal and then make the sill look a mess.
I'll make sure I double check on the passanger side though when it comes to is. Measurements aren't reliable enough when doing this job. I might find I have to remount the door several times while fitting to be sure of alignment.
I'm happy enough that the fit all round the door is perfect otherwise, as is the drivers wing, there's just the right amount of gap.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.