Skip navigation

My Gti Resto continues (Help! I've got a question to ask...)

Back to the top

My Gti Resto continues (Help! I've got a question to ask...)

Oh….. And please don't slag my welding off, I'm still learning! :lol:

Back to the top
Not bad actually.
Good work that man!!!!
 :clap:
I would've give up,nesh git that I am.Keep another oldie on the road!

Back to the top
Done a bit more today but done the drivers side instead.
I'm still waiting on a panel coming which you'll see that I already have for the drivers side in one of the pics.
I just done the same as yesterday for the drivers side.

Before I started cutting away the rot.

After

New panel placed in and tack welded for now.

Offered the wing up to see how it all lined up and guess what…..Perfect! No wide gaps!

Here's the new panel that I also need for the passanger side. I cut the top edge off it as I dont need it and it would make it easier to weld and because i'm welding under the lip it'll be concealed more.

I'm just gonna weld this panel straight onto the inner wing as opposed to cutting up good metal, Sounds and looks like a bodge I hear you saying, But I'm not willing to cut up good metal just to weld in a cheap panel in it's place, Besides it can only do good to strengthen the front end!!!!

And that's today's work, I only got to spend a couple of hours on it but I'll go back to it during the week to finish the welding off outside the house.

Back to the top
Coming along nicely.  How it it round the back?

Moved over to resto btw :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
The back end of the car is solid which is unusual!!!! The only spots that need attention I feel are the rear arches, I'm replacing them regardless so I know they're new when I go to get the car painted and the rear bottom corners under the bumper.

Other than that, The major thing that's worrying me is the sills, I've never done a big resto like this before so it's all new to me, I'll be searching this site for lots of info before I tackle the sills! :lol:

Back to the top
That's some rot there, I thought mine was bad. looks like half the O/S floor pan isn't joined to the sill 8O when was it last mot'd? Good on you for taking it on, those front wings are shaping up nicely.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Believe it or not but the mot ran out a day after I picked the car up and if memory serves me right then that was about july time! 8O

Back to the top
are they gen vw wings?

Back to the top
:O every credit to you with that one, it will be worth it, i'm sure you know that though. More than i or most would take on.

Good luck :)

Back to the top
Thanks!
I'm getting a bit of stick on edition38 for sticking with this car instead of scrapping it and reshelling, But that would take the fun out of it lol! :lol:

Dubhighland: The wings are patterns from gsf

Back to the top

kami said

Dubhighland: The wings are patterns from gsf

And are they a good fit?? People have been advising me to stay clear of pattern wings. How much were they if you don't mind me asking??

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
Well….There's a story!
I paid ?69 for them both! They're a good fit but I had to twist them slightly (or maybe massage them is the right word) to get them onto the bolt holes where I wanted them and to sit they way I want them to sit.
In all it only took me a few mins and they sit fine.

I Got these wings delivered to me but they had a good number of really bad dents in them due to some one not taking care in packing them.
I called them up as I expected to pay for damage free wings and because of the postal strike at the time and the hassle of paperwork, It was too much hassle to send back, They told me to bin them and they gave me a full refund!
I did bin them, but my best friend took them out my scrap pile while I was at work and managed to massage the dents out to an acceptable level. I came home to see them in my livingroom lol!
They're a good fit and thats the only reason why I'm now willing to keep them but a bit of filler is gonna be needed!

Back to the top
:lol:  sounds like something that normally happens to me. I might give the pattern wings a shot then if i can't manage to get good used genuine

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
They might take a bit of fettling about but they will fit, Generally I'm quite happy with the fit on mine but maybe I'm lucky?

Back to the top
Well guys! Nothing major in the way of changes but I was clearing out one of my garages and came across a set of wheels I bought at a car bootsale about 2 years ago for the xr3i I had, Turned out they didn't fit, So I tried them on the golf and lo and behold……..They fit Perfectly!!!

I'm gonna use these for shows only and I'll use the 14's for everyday use as I still need to drop the car 60mm, I'm thinking about flaring the arches more to get these under but then I'll need to use spacer to bring the original ones out abit more!
I'll see how it goes! :scratch:
What do you think anyway guys?

And a pic of me and my baby! :lol:

And no it's not smokey!!! Just Feekin freezing lol!!!!

Back to the top
They're a little large for the Golf IMO, and I'm not sure the curve of the spokes suit the sharp and angled lines of the bodywork that well (just my opinion though).

If I were you I would sell them and use the money to buy some 14" or 15" replacements which suit the Golf better. This would make lowering it easier too.

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
I've not updated this in a while, I've done some more progress, I've cut the rotten floors out, cut the inner and outer sills out, The car is sitting in a jig at the moment but I've been given the worse news ever, My garage is getting demolished!!!!! :banghead:

Good news is that I'm getting bigger premises with room for 4 cars and has full electrics too.

So once I've moved, I'll have the room to finish off what I started!

I'll get the pics up soon!

P.s… those big ass wheels have gone and in their place are nice polished P slots.

Back to the top
I think this shell is going to get cut up for spares now. A friend of mine has just bought an old cottage with a barn built onto the side of the house, and underneath all the junk in it, there is THE most minted white early model, unmolested Golfs you have ever seen. All the panels are completely free from rust, It's like a time warp. The car has been in the garage for the last 20 years.
I don't know the story behind it but I'm going up on Monday night to pull it out and see what's what with it.
It's a proper barn find!

It's a dream come true……. :lol:

Back to the top
this is some interesting reading mate if i was in your shoes i would keep them both because if the new one is mint so you wont have any thin to do lol also would like to see a few piks of the new one  :wink:  :wink:

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
Can't make it up tonight as the guy had to go somewhere so I've set wednesday night aside for pulling the car out.
I think the Gti might just get stripped of everything and kept as a source of spares.
We all know how hard it is to get those hard to find bits and I've got a complete car sitting aswell as a shed full of another gti I stripped a while back.
The car I'm getting seems to have the small rear lights and I'm pretty sure it's an R reg but it's really hard to see and get to with all the junk lying around, and on top of the car.
The house is completely covered in shrubbery as is the driveway, Hell I dont even know how I'm going to get it out as the road and foot path that crosses it has been re laid that many times, that it's a good foot and a half higher than the actual driveway.
I love finds like this….. its the stuff dreams are made off lol :lol:
There are too many online users to list.