Skip navigation

Floppy accelerator - disintegrated rubber

Back to the top

Floppy accelerator - disintegrated rubber

Been out to work on mates car fitting new rear brakes and shocks to his maestro, nice 60 mile cross country round trip in the GTI.

Got there OK, did the biz with his motor, the brakes and shocks look almost interchangable with MK1/11 Golfs in design  8O

Set off home and within half a mile the accelerator pedal dropped to the floor leaving the engine just idling. This could have been a disaster in the wrong place at the wrong time but the spannering gods must have been smiling on me for helping a mate with a rusty Austin-Rover.

It happend at the bottom of a steep hill, there was no other traffic about :lol:  and an empty car park just across the road :lol: . I let it roll across and parked up :lol: . It had finally stopped raining :lol:  and I had a boot full of tools :lol:

Turns out the hook at the pedal end had come out because the red rubber bush that holds it had disintegrated and crumbled to pieces. I fixed it with a slice of fuel hose and cable tie and it got me home.  :D

There was no warning of it happenin so may I suggest its an idea to stick you head up the foot well and check your rubber. :wink:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Good call have checked mine and got one on order from vw ( still avaliable ) !!

G60

Back to the top
Just taken my accelarator cable off while working on the GTI and sure enough the red bush crumbled in my hand :roll:

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
get the diesel version as that comes with a c clip to stop it just falling out even if the rubber fails

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Are you sure the cable itself is clipped in not the pedal shaft?. EKTA shows just a hook even for diesel on MK1s :dontknow:  :dontknow:

This is the 10p peice of rubber I've just paid ?5.21 for 8O. The red blob is the only remains of the original that still exists……

Back to the top
Hello this has just happened to me.. Could you tell me the part number please?

Cheers

Pete

MyRivagesigi.jpg

Back to the top
got it..

cheers

MyRivagesigi.jpg

Back to the top
What's the part number then  :dontknow:  :lol:

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
The number/part/price on my invoice is 431721559 Bush ?4.43+VAT

Back to the top
Cheers, have to order one.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Worth checking this bush if it hasnt been replaced yet, 10 seconds to check could save you a lot of grief. If you look at the top of the accelerator pedal, this is the bush that connects the cable to the accelerator.

I was lucky in the fact when it poped out still enough to put it back together so it held to get me home. Peddle just dropped to the floor and couldnt do anything. Part nos up in the post and still available from VW.

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
When i bought mine, the car didn't have this bush!!! I only found out when replacing the clutch cable!!

However, I bought mine from Crazyquiff - slightly cheaper than VW and just as good quality.

I do agree it's really expensive for what it is - can the man at Crazy quiff explain why????

Back to the top
Easy, more overheads to pay for at VW

Back to the top
These are also available from GSF. I know, mine fell to pieces earlier this year.
They are priced at a massive 50p!!!

Back to the top
Help! I fitted mine (proud of myself to do it all one-handed, with no blokes around) and then it fell out about 30 metres down the road. Three blokes then looked at it, including one with lots of VW beetle and other car/motorbike experience and he reckoned it was the wrong part because the end of the cable just kept sliding back through the rubber bit. This forum has confirmed it's the right part, so how am I meant to get the cable to stay through the rubber bit? The hole seems a bit big for the cable, but the piece is the same as the photos on here and the part number is also the same. It's for a 1991 cabriolet Quartet (made for France and not sure where else) 1.8 injected.

Any ideas?

Life in the French Alps: <a href="Le Franco Phoney: All things French in La Clusaz, Annecy and Haute Savoie">www.lefrancophoney.com</a>

Back to the top
Fit a circlip on the end, that will fix it.

Banner

Back to the top
Had a similar problem on a MK2 1300 many years ago. The cable at the carb end needed to be adjusted so that even when the pedal was fully depressed it wasn't wasn't pulling tight and popping the cable out of the rubber at the pedal end. Perhaps this is a similar situation?

Back to the top
Early-1800, there seems to be plenty of give in the cable. It's just very easy for the cable to come loose as the hole in the foam is around the same size.

Dubboy, I am now aware of a circlip thanks to Google, but I don't understand how I'd use it with the wire. Can you get them that small? The end of the cable is a bit like a large pin head - just a tiny bit bigger than the cable itself.

Life in the French Alps: <a href="Le Franco Phoney: All things French in La Clusaz, Annecy and Haute Savoie">www.lefrancophoney.com</a>

Back to the top
You will need a very small 'C clip' rather than a circlip….something like this:-
https://www.justaircooled.co.uk/images/T/CAMPER%20BEETLE%20PARTS%20C%20CLIP.jpg
When put under the pin head it will stop it pulling through the bush.
Not too sure where you'd get one from….maybe Maplins?
And yes you can get very small ones.
Mine went and when replaced it stayed attached fine without one, but the end of my cable is bent over at 90 degs and has a bit of a bobble on the end to stop it pulling back through the rubber bush too easily.

Back to the top
Okay, thanks. I'll check out the hardware shop down the mountain and see if they've got them (or anything else that looks like it might do the trick).

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.