Skip navigation

What jiuce are you drinking?

Back to the top

What jiuce are you drinking?

Tian wrote…

I don't care what you run,I buy the cheapest fuel as I drive past. I honestly don't think it makes that much difference in an 8 valver of this vintage. My 20 Valve Turbo Volvo does drive better on high octane but then again its a modern multi valve engine and should. Don't waste your time going for extra power from your Golf though, waste of money.

If timing is set to VW specs, Mk1 GTI's require superunleaded (high octane) fuel to run properly. Ordinary undleaded octane rating is too low and you risk pinking etc which over a time can cause premature engine wear/damage. You'll actually find most modern cars (even performance) can cope with variable octanes as the ECU can adjust the timing etc to compensate.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
The original sticker thingy inside the driver's door shut actually specifies that you should use at least 98 ron…

Back to the top

Rach_GTI said

The original sticker thingy inside the driver's door shut actually specifies that you should use at least 98 ron…

That's a good point. I'll have to check my owners manual when I get home.

Obvious really.

Tian :roll:

Back to the top
Shell V-Power (1.8 GTi) - quantum difference!  The oil temp runs a couple of degrees cooler and the overall response is smoother and quieter than BP Ultimate

Last week I did 340 miles on 50 litres - let's see here:

50 litres: 50 / 4.54609 = 11 gals exactly

Gives a nick under 31mpg on combined cycle - A roads, B roads, motorway and some urban which I think is exactly in compliance with manufacturers spec.

MP

Back to the top
my mk1 is running on 99  octane   fairly pricey but its worth it

Back to the top
I put BP ultimate in the 1500 gl and it ran awful, misfiring, the lot, Does'nt do this kind of engine any good at all! Now I just use premium unleaded and runs like a dream with that
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.