Skip navigation

Reg plate recognition - Poll

Back to the top

Reg plate recognition - Poll

Hope that some of you would like to participate my little reg test,

i recieved a producer last night after the plod pulled me for my reg plate,

i know it's not totally correct but have seen plenty worse and bearing in mind the stuck on approach in the back window is obvously temporary and the photo below is poor quality and from a dodgy angle - not the direct sat on my bumper view that the busy's got.

not sure how to pole it really, was going to ask if it was legible or not, but as you don't know what it is supposed to be could you please post your best guess below in the true reg format.

this is to see if i am narrow minded by thinking its obvious,

Cheers,

Guile

'91 Golf Cabriolet (my other car is an Audi)

the usual audi s3 8p3 mods...

Back to the top
A6 ULE ?

as a "plod" myself :lol:  to the letter of the law the plate is displayed incorrectly, not so much where it is but how its spaced
did you get a ?30 fine? or a defect rectification notice? dunno if the yorks police use this system? basicly gives you 14 days to rectify the "fault" and take it to an mot centre at your cost get em to check it and get the form stamped by them to say its been done then send it off,
the producer or HORT/1 is only to produce valid- mot insurance and licence within 7 days to a police station,
the DVLA have the right to remove a plate from issue if they deem it to be used incorrectly, and with the ANPR number plate readers taking images of every car entering most towns in the uk its hard to hide it!!! they send automatic letters to people with italic or incorrectly spaced plates now warning them!! its all very "Big Brothers Watching"!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
the correct and winning answer goes to the man in the funny shaped helmet  :wink:

got lucky on that score as she siad she would trust me to change the plate  :lol: but gave me a producer as the clever big brother computer couldn't inform her that i was insured, which i am.

i did want to point out that as my tax disc was new this month i must have insurance to purcahse this but after previous encounters i have realised that it best to say too little then too much, answer all questions and say no more.

big brother needs to smarten up,

I understand why these procedures are in place but if that camera recognition is good enough to read a plate and reconise it well enough to send a letter to the owner then the reg plate is obviously legible enough?

Plus when she asked my name and i said Richard Guile she replied i pressume that is spelt G U I L E, how better then to be able to trace and nick you if they can read your name?

thanks for the info though, just think she was having a bad day and expected to find something else a miss once she had pulled me

Cheers,

Guile

Back to the top
yeah the PNC is supposed to be updated by the insurance companys….but if its through a broker sometimes it dont make it!!! it can cause severe agro as the car can be seized 8O  unless you can prove you do have insurance there and then, can be a problem at night in the middle of no where 8O
as you say valid tax etc can help but some people never have insurance EVER! and its those we pay for, bit like tupacs mate :wink:

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
truth be told me that ended up having to pay for him! my cars not driven atm and its still insured

i live to dub....

Back to the top
My dad got hit by an uninsured driver who had a valid very recent tax disc and MOT. how did he get the tax disc? he produced a cover note in somebody else's name and got it that way.

My mum, dad, nephew and my daughter were in the car (a saab 9000) which he hit whilst speeding, he hit it on the rear offside door (where my daughter was sat) the impact caused the car to spin through 270 degrees. The idiot bounced off my parents car and hit a van parked at the side of the road with such force that he caused their wheel against the pavement to buckle and snap.

When the police turned up they checked the details he gave against the PNC which showed him as insured etc.

It turned out he gave false details and was never traced. Luckily my dad was fully comp and received enough to buy another second hand Saab but there will be no compo for the personal injuries sustained or emotional trauma

The moral of this story whilst it may cost a bit more to go fully comp it could well pay in the long run as you will get your car sorted if you get hit by one of the morons, and remember next time you get stopped and they ask you for proof of identity and insurance you have no need to worry EXCEPT if you are uninsured.

Yes it is inconvenient to be stopped and checked but better that than an uninsured driver hitting a child and killing them. What then?

Craig

Touch my car …………………. feel my wheels

operor retineo patria parvulus depressus vos

Back to the top
my girlfriends car got hit by an uninsured driver whilst it was parked on the street, the police didn`t want to know / couldn`t do anything.

luckily i spray cars for a living so it didn`t really cost us anything but thats not really the point cos the little chav got off scot free. :evil:

Back to the top
where are you 1000ny?

Back to the top
I'm not a Policeman but we all know how a plate should be spaced, just visit a private plate website and they will show you! As far as yours is concerned it's pretty obvious to me. It all depends on the Copper and their mood at the time.

Tian :lol:

Back to the top
TIAN where have you been, a lot of old faces popping up again

i live to dub....

Back to the top

tupac2makaveli71 said

TIAN where have you been, a lot of old faces popping up again

Working too bloody hard and being knackered in the evening.

I've just bought a new suspension kit for the Cabby and hope to get it fitted this week, softer than the old one so less crashing over the Kingsbury pot holes. Lots to do still though.

Tian :banghead:

Back to the top
You're making it pretty easy to be done, firstly the spacing, secondly the fact that its behind glass, and thirdly because its not illuminated (at night).

Back to the top
a plod at my work says "if he saw that car, he'd pull it. where are ur lights?"

thats what he said, NOT ME!!

Back to the top
Just a quick question or 2 for Topoftherange or any other police officer…

1.    How do u go on with checking trade policy insurance because my brother works for the local Vauxhall Garage and we got pulled over and car nearly impounded because it apparently came up as uninsured but he said they checked it on this new system which is aimed at traders policies and he called it Operation Wolverine :S

2.    Also… I had my Golf parked on a 'tennants only' car park for months, probably nearly a year now as i've been working on it as a project and it's been on SORN and still is for a few more months but i got a phone call the other day off a neighbour telling me my Golf was being loading on the back of a recovery truck with the Police there so i flew out of work and got all my local friends to go stop them till i got home, and the police women said it's still classed as a road as far as she's concerned and it's SORN'd so am breaking the law, i have to pay ?200 which i can't afford right now so had to get a small loan just so they didn't take it. Should i have had some sort of warning at least? :S i thought i'd be ok with it being there, it even had flat tyres, no dash or not ther interior so they could tell i hadn't been driving it.

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
well any "private place" is still council property etc so as a path or nearly every object in or around "a road" is technicaly a "road" then its the DVLA have the power to remove it if they wish, the police are only usually present during operations like this as people can get a bit narky, understandably, blame all the moaners and red ken for all this "street cleaning" part of the fine pays for 6 months road tax, i do empathise with you on this one as it sounds a bit harsh, but it is the DVLA and the COUNCILS that operate these schemes NOT the Police, they just prevent the punch ups, i always maintain that i would rather take a car from a scumbag burglar/junkie/criminal who uses the car as a conveyance to commit crime than "innocent motorists" i cant change the law its there for all of us to abide by im afraid, common sense would seem to fail on occasions though :roll:

Back to the top
Ok, thanks very much for ur reply anyway Topoftherange

I dunno if i should try to claim back my money as the land that has now been a 'car park for a few years is still down on the council records as being a kiddies play area because it used to be a park years ago (probably more than 12 years ago at least) but it was the Police women who apprently reported it to the DVLA and so they said ok we'll get it taken away. Apparently she tried to knock on my door twice to wanr me but i didn't answer, maybe cos i have to work 6 days a week lol but ah well nevermind.

Thanks again anyway :)

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
where I work in moss side they are continually running operations to remove untaxed cars. The main reason that they do this as I understand it is that a large proportion of untaxed cars are also uninsured.

Back to the top

KayBee said

Ok, thanks very much for ur reply anyway Topoftherange

I dunno if i should try to claim back my money as the land that has now been a 'car park for a few years is still down on the council records as being a kiddies play area because it used to be a park years ago (probably more than 12 years ago at least) but it was the Police women who apprently reported it to the DVLA and so they said ok we'll get it taken away. Apparently she tried to knock on my door twice to wanr me but i didn't answer, maybe cos i have to work 6 days a week lol but ah well nevermind.

Thanks again anyway :)

pay the fine get the car back then contest it mate, whats the worse that can happen?  you will be no worse off or you may get the money back? especially if it was sorn and you can prove it was "off road" although like i said a parking bay is still deemed a "road" in the eyes of the law of the land, its worth a try though, speak to citizens advice bereau,

Back to the top
thought this might be a bit more filth friendly

still got to produce, didn't realise i hadn't informed my insurance of the plate change, oops

hope they accept it as the date will be wrong now?!

Cheers,

Guile

Back to the top

6UiLE said

thought this might be a bit more filth friendly

Easy Tiger, they've got a job to do and it's not an easy one.

Tian :naughty:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.