Skip navigation

mk1 16v conversion,mot'd and running in

Back to the top

mk1 16v conversion,mot'd and running in

8O  wow, i thought it was bad were i live! hope your house family and golf are ok! Tom  :wink:

1991 Diamond silver 1800 16v Corrado 'Betty'

Gone, but not forgotten;

1985 Lemon yellow Polo coupe S

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1983 Diamond silver Golf GX

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top

holeinmk1 said

8O  wow, i thought it was bad were i live! hope your house family and golf are ok! Tom  :wink:

luckily i stay myself,the golfs at the garage,my 2dr jetta is in my garage at unspecified location and my A4s at my sisters house so i just sat and watched the entertainment

as for my drive shaft probs im just going to copy the thank you post on that thread for todays progress report lol,cheating i know but the gf is coming in half an hour lol

was busy at the garage yesterday with the gaffers track car(he took my slot on the ramps as id slept in lol)so never got on to mine until today basically went like this

car onto two poster up in the air wheels off

slowly tightened up pass.hub nut whilst comparing it to drivers side

as suggested the outer cv joint was fouling the inside chamfer on the wheel bearing housing

removed hub and placed in vice disc side first

set the internal grinder at an angle and brung it onto the chamfer,this started the hub rotating and with the correct amount of pressure slowly turned the hub while still removing a slight amount

three attempts at fitting the hub proved unsuccesful then on the fourth it popped in and turned like a baby in its sleep

not exactly top machining but im a fabrication engineer so i knew the theory was right and i never had the proper tooling so i thought its this way or round to a machine shop and that just sounded expensive

anyway the shafts are in,the 285 discs and mintex pads in all ive got left now are coolant and fuel lines and the exhaust to sort so hopefully some movement under its own steam for the first time this year(just in time for a local track day on the 24th  

again cheers for the help and encouragement

ive got pictures off the above but need to get them off the phone and on photobucket

just as a note i chopped up the dubpower manifold as the flange to join the centre section is a triangle that has the point at the bottom so chopped that off carefully(just the triangular plate)and will either turn it so the flat is at the bottom or just sleeve it onto the centre section

again cheers for watching  8)

Back to the top
Looking awsome, My rocco engine i have it covered with sludgy oil and hard to get into places on it to clean. You have done a great job on yours.

And for the effort and the final outcome on the wheels well the pics say it all really.

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
Spot on, looking forward to some more pics 8)

Wheels are super nice and transform the car, and the gold bolts work well.

Back to the top

fleming16 said

Looking awsome, My rocco engine i have it covered with sludgy oil and hard to get into places on it to clean. You have done a great job on yours.

And for the effort and the final outcome on the wheels well the pics say it all really.

:mrgreen:

my engine was the same,went over it with a flat screwdriver to get out the worst of the gunge(spesh on the gearbox)then went over the block(worst bit)with a smaller flat screwdriver,almost a center dab/punch)small stiff brushes and wire wheels. 20yr old engines are so much fun lol  :banghead: but mines in the bay now looks quite new and almost factoryand im nearly happy but it was kinda just a trial for the jetta coop'sengine and how do i want that finished

cheers for all the gee up posts. Should hopefully have new trackin pics soon and track day pics from the end of august(local(knockhill)track day)but ill have to watch what im doing so i make e38  8)
and yeah i total appreciate the fact that a set of rims can transform a car,hopefully ill get away with 15"ps and track 888's amongst the other combos ive got  :oops:

Back to the top
stole some trackin shots off my mate,this was heading to last years E38 show with the 1.3 in it

Back to the top
rolling shots are awesome.

Just wondering, what work have your arches had to accomodate them super wheels?

Back to the top
looks  8) mate. Bet you are really pleased with it.

Back to the top

DannyEss said

rolling shots are awesome.

Just wondering, what work have your arches had to accomodate them super wheels?

actually large amounts,in some of the pics you can make out where ive kinked the wings,folded the return lips flat then brung the lip from the edge to the swage flat then kinked it trying to go beyond that  :banghead:  :banghead:

the worst bit was after i kinked the first wing,then went round the other side and done that too  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

but i picked up two lhasa green front wings at e38 last year  8)  and its due a blow over even for the low miles,had a bottom half respray at some point and there is about 19 shades of lhasa green,just going for a freshen in the one lhasa shade

and smudger im getting there lol  8)

Back to the top
looka good anyway. always wanted a lhasa green mk1. but i have a red one :D

Back to the top
got all the coolant hoses on on monday for the kr swap but when i checked the hoses against some reference pics when it was up on the ramp i gave the clutch lever on the side of the box a flick and it feels dead(no obvious sprung feeling)so probably going to have to drop the box and pop the end cap again  :x  :|  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :evil:

Back to the top
thought i had all the coolant hoses but im missing the pipe smoker from the side of the block to the matrix but thats the fuel lines done and all oil systems filled and ready to rock. Just needs rear box and gear linkage sorted and a poss problem with the clutch lever on the box being limp tp sort out then hopefully ready for e38  :dontknow: if'n nebody cares lol

Back to the top
Sounds good, getting there, it all these extra jobs, that turn up! Thou, if nothing went wrong it wouldn't be a proper mk1  :D

A little Q, you know the cap on the end of the gearbox, that you take off to get at the release bearing, is this sealed on with any type of sealer, or is it just pushed on when re-fitting?

Cheers

Pete

Back to the top
i used general purpose engine sealant in a black gunk effort that too approx 18 lifetimes to get off my hand(note-wear rubber gloves lol)but yeah id use a sealing effort of some nature. Was round at the garage 2day and had to dip into my jetta coupe's parts bin for the gear linkage gubbins i needed but still missing the thermostat to matrix smokers pipe looking mofo but should have it all sorted. Its booked in for an mot on saturday at 11 so heres hoping  :dontknow:

Back to the top

Back to the top
nah too busy talking to scene freaks on msn pmsl  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
front bum pics

drivers mount ready for a coat and new inserts

front of block stripped and rubbed down

first coat

second coat

third coat

Back to the top
building bac up

pump stabiliser powdered

Back to the top
pulley clean up

flywheel took a hit too

painted pulleys and engine mount assembled

Back to the top
Sound, good progress, i will be painting my block soon, im rubbing down the gearbox casing ready for paint, taking ages and abusing my hands!

Look forward to seeing it back on the road. :D

Pete
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.