Skip navigation

GTI Project #2

Back to the top

GTI Project #2

Its been a while, but things havent been at a standstill, well much. I now have my own decent sized garage at the side of the house, which is now home to the golf. I have now cleaned up the tailgate and the rear hatch area as well as the nearside window area. I have had to remove the nearside wing now as it has suffered a small dent at sometime which had been filled.  I will have the dent beaten out as best as it can and then give it a small amount of filler before refitting it.

I have also picked up my rear beam and anti roll bar from John at Dubblasters.  Its been blasted and powder coated, looking really good (pics to be added).  :lol:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Got back to the car today. I have completed all of the jobs around the house for now so back to it. I have done a bit since last on here. I have cut out a bit on the N/S front sill and footwell and welded in some fresh metal.
I have also removed the rear beam and fuel tank. I thought that i was about there with the shell but now i have found more rust on the rear O/S where the beam fixes to the chassis, what a bummer. I will have to get in about it tomorrow.
Sorry there aint any pics, but once i get started i forget to take some. I will try and get some posted soon.

Back to the top
I removed the front wishbones, hubs driveshafts etc. However when I was removing the nuts holding the front anti rollbar mounts to the underside of the car, i sheared one of the bolts. Does anyone know how best to repair this? Will i have to cut a bit of the floor out from around it then weld a new bolt in, then weld the section back in?

Back to the top
I recieved my roll over jig today and have attached it to the car. I should have bought one ages ago. I wll get some pics taken and post them up soon. No more lying on my back covering myself in rust and underseal or trying to weld upside down.  :lol:

Back to the top
Well I have plenty of pics in my phone of my progress, I just cant be bothered downloading them to photo bucket.
Anyway I chuffed to bits, I spray painted the underside tonight with POR15. Only problem is, I should have worn gloves, after using thinners, swarfega, Cif and a scrubbing brush my hands are still covered  :redfaced:

Not long now before i start to put the running gear and new brake and fuel lines on. Feels like Im getting somewhere now.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers Foxy Im good thanks, just covered in POR15 (although it is starting to wear off now, lol). I thought id be able to get on with the car during my spring holidays, however my wife wants me to move the shed and the greenhouse (the greenhouse aint getting much sunlight now since I built my new home for my golf  :lol: ). There is always something, last year it was the fireplace, and the eaves, facia, bargeboards and rhones all replaced with UPVC (not the fireplace obviously  :lol: ) Still Im getting my second wind, bring it on.

Back to the top
Sorry folks still havent bothered to transfer pics to photobucket then download then to here. Not enough time in a day.
Anyway I have put 2 new wishbones back on to the car, all fully poly bushed. Also put the front wishbone on and cleaned the front hubs and hub carriers up, ready for a couple of coats of POR15 (if it all hasnt cured in the tin). Ive also got the front wheel bearings to get pressed into the carriers.
Just added another job to my list  :banghead: I was trying to fit the backplates and wheel stub axles onto the rear beam (which was suspended from the garage trusses) when i dropped one of the stub axles onto my already prepped front N/S wing which i had stupidly left lying directly below. So there is now a small dent in it that will require some attention.
Hopefully have the car off the spit and back on its running gear so that i can get it prepped and painted.
I will try and spend some time doing the pics. promise  :redfaced:

Back to the top
Hi Macca, good to see you about again, look forward to the pics ;)

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah it would be good to see some new pics. I remember following this thread a while back

Back to the top
Thanks Guys, its good to be back.  Yes I kind of lost my way with the pics and the thread, although as I have said I have been doing work on the car. However not as much as I would have liked.
Anyway I have a new determination for 2012 to be the year of completion. I will do my best to get some pics up soon.
Hope you all had a good new year.

Back to the top
As promised, I'll try and post up the pis in order from where i stopped with them 2 years ago  :redfaced:

This was the front of the N/S sill

So i cut out the rust, tidied it up and fitted some new fresh metal

Looking at the dates on the pics, this was all done in March and April 2010.

I also decided to weld up and fill the holes and swage line for the bottom sill trim. The reason for this being that someone has fitted a new sill on the driver side and has obviously fitted a non GTi sill, i.e no swage line (is that the right word?  :dontknow: ). So i obviously wanted both sides to be the same.

Also note the axle stands holding the car up. That was obviously before I got this

Best thing i have purchased yet. Should have bought one months before I did.

Back to the top
Actually, I'm telling lies, the jig was the second best purchase. This was the best

my newly built garage (well it was new in 2010). 10m x 3m floor space, perfect for working on the car.
However the next thing that i started to tackle was the O/S rear axle mount. As you can see it was a bit goosed

So it was a case of again cutting out the rusty old metal and fitting new, prior to fitting the new panel

I stripped the threads on the 2 bolts also, so they had to be cut out and replaced. I wish I had read Hairy arse's thread before i did it, as i didn't realie that you could get access to the bolts from inside the car doh!  :redfaced:

I gave it a tidy up, treated the metal and applied some red lead paint. Then welded in a new piece of metal prior to fitting the new panel

I then welded the two new bolts to a piece of metal, slotted them into the existing holes and welded them into place before trying the replacement panel for size

then i painted everything with more red lead paint before welding the panel in to place

Back to the top
Wow, you got some serious work to do there Macca, nice job though ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks Hairy. I will post up the remainder of my pics shortly. Ive now decided to cut out the fuel filler panel, as I had already patched it up, but Im not happy with it, so might aswell do the job properly.  :banghead:

Back to the top
Know what you mean. I was never happy with my repairs to my OSR arch tub, so bought a whole new one, need to fit it still though!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
When I removed the front anti roll bar, I over did it a bit and this happened  8O

The bolt sheared off  8O . I then had to drill out the spotwelds on the box section and remove it to allow me to get in to cut out the rusty metal around the sheared bolt.

i then welded in a new bolt and welded in new metal

and then red leaded the new metal in preparation for replacing the box section

Back to the top
I then welded the box section back into place

and started to clean off all the black gunk off the underside

however when i did this i found a couple of rusty bits under the box section under the passenger side. So i had to drill out all of the spotwelds on this side and cut out the rust.

then welded in more new prefabricated metal

Then once I had the underside repaired and cleaned off

I set about spraying it with a couple of coats of POR15

Before I rubbed it over with a scotchbrite pad and gave it a couple of coats of Mars red synthetic paint. However I obviously didnt take any pics of this :cry:

Back to the top
Yahooo  :lol: The Golf is going to the paint shop on 14th April for a 4 week make over. New paint, doors, wings, tailgate and bonnet all lined up properly and some new side stripes and rear hatch stickers. I'll get some more pics posted before she goes and then I intend to pop in and take some pics as the work gets done.

Back to the top
I took some pics prior to the car going away. Some pics of the fuel filler panel that I cut out and replaced

and the front wheel arch with the coilovers fitted. I painted all the wheel arches and the underside with 2 coats of synthetic mars red

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.