Skip navigation

GTI Project #2

Back to the top

GTI Project #2

1stgolf said

hi just wondering what your using to grind back the welds an angle grinder? if so what disc are you using?
thanks
mark

Hi Mark,
Yes Im using an angle grinder which I have fitted with a grinding disc, which is thicker than a cutting disc.
I bought some from screwfix.  I tried cheaper discs before that, but they were crap. they hardly grind anything, just waste your time.  Better paying for decent discs, gets the job done quicker. I cant remember off the top of my head what make i bought though, I think i went for Makita discs.

:wink:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
I think you can use a flap wheel to the same effect too...

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
do they take weld back too?

Back to the top
Think so... Depends on the grade you use. Seemed to work on mine ok anyways.

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
I may have to see about them.  By the way do you still have that front number plate holder you kept hold of for me?

Back to the top
No sorry fella. Someone in Sheffield came in for it last week… Figured you had got hold of another one as I hadn't heard from you. :oops:

Sorry!!!

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Macca,

I have plenty of number plate holders

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

woZa said

I think you can use a flap wheel to the same effect too…

Flap discs are excellent for cleaning up welds, i work for an engineering company and they all use them. Rough sanding discs with a plastic backing pad are also good  :wink:

I like to use anti spatter spray aswell to give a cleaner weld

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
I take it that flap discs leave a smoother finish  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Can do they are a lot easier to use and don't tend to hack surrounding areas if your none too steady   :lol:

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

Back to the top
Use flap wheels, they're miles better than grinding discs.

Frosts do them in sets of 3 at progressive grades so you can finish the welds nicely. As other have said they're great if you've got an awkward weld to get as as they won't mash up the surrounding metalwork.

See here:  http://www.frost.co.uk/free_catalogue.asp
Look at page 3 under the welding section.

Top job on the rear panel, I'm looking forward to seeing the spare wheel well going in.  :clap:

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
I just get them from work at much cheapness  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

Back to the top
Thanks guys.  I may just have to order some of those.  Anyway the good old grinder did the trick today.  Ive ground down all the welds and run seam sealer around both inside and out.
It is a bit rough and aint the best job that Ive done, but once it gets a fresh coat of paint (and the boot carpet is back in) it should be ok.

Im hoping to get the spare wheel well welded in tomorrow providing it aint wet or too windy.  I will take some more pics and get them posted tomorrow.  No slagging my seam sealer now.  :lol:

Back to the top
Spare wheel well is now in. However the missus has downloaded the pics that I took into a bit that i cant access to transfer them to photobucket.  I will sort it out and post them tomorrow.

Found out that it aint a good idea to drop burning underseal into your eye.  i welded one of the spotweld holes then looked under to put out the fire.  i blew on the burning underseal and the next minute some of it fell onto my left eye. I now have a blister on my lower eye lid. ouch!!!!

pics will be posted tomorrow though. :lol:

Back to the top
As promised here are the pics that I could not find yesterday.
Firstly a couple of the inside of the rear panel

and the spare wheel well which is now welded in place

from underneath

and now that i have grinded down the welds

Back to the top
Whilst I was there I found a couple of other small spots of rust

and this one which I have welded up. Would I be able to get into this weld with a flapper wheel as I cant get it ground right down with the grinder without grinding the surrounding metal?

Back to the top
Looking good there, I've been using a Dremel type mini-tool with mini grinding disks to finish off tight spots like that. Very effective and helps give a smooth finish all round.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

markwon said

Looking good there, I've been using a Dremel type mini-tool with mini grinding disks to finish off tight spots like that. Very effective and helps give a smooth finish all round.

Cheers

Thanks for that I will get the dremell out and see what I have available.

Back to the top
good work.. the wheel well looks solid. it should be good for another 20years  8)

Back to the top
Good work macca.

You will have saved a fortune doing all that work yourself.

At this rate you could do me a homer or 2 when you have finished im quoted 2-3k to get mine done later this yr.

All the best with the resto look forward to seeing some more pics. :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.