Skip navigation

Gearbox Oil Change - Help please

Back to the top

Gearbox Oil Change - Help please

Use the level plug, otherwise you can over fill the gearbox and break the seals. Add oil until it begins to trickle out, the leave and repeat until it takes no more.

Back to the top

Marc86 said

Use the level plug, otherwise you can over fill the gearbox and break the seals. Add oil until it begins to trickle out, the leave and repeat until it takes no more.

Pretty sure all boxes should take 2.1 litres from dry. You can only get about 1.5 litres in if you use the plug on the side… :dontknow:

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
I used the plug on the side (after removing passenger side wheel) and got 2 litres in no probs.  I think I'm going to replace the seals and fit a new clutch (still slipping a bit) in a couple of weeks so I'll have to change the gearbox oil again anyway.  :(

Thanks for all the advice 8)

1983 Lhasa Green GTI

Back to the top

woZa said

Marc86 said

Pretty sure all boxes should take 2.1 litres from dry. You can only get about 1.5 litres in if you use the plug on the side… :dontknow:

I doubt the gearbox was dry then. That plug is to give the correct level, so when its full up to there, its full. But allow time for it to settle before adding more, then maybe it will take more.

To much oil can ware the seals so wrecked gearbox. Too little is messy aswell.

So use the correct plug! No guess work!

Back to the top
I put 2 times 1 litre bottles of castrol manual gearbox oil.  The gearbox was drained completely before hand. Pretty sure the level is bang on now (apart from the stuff leaking into my clutch of course!).

1983 Lhasa Green GTI

Back to the top

Marc86 said

woZa said

Marc86 said

I doubt the gearbox was dry then. That plug is to give the correct level, so when its full up to there, its full. But allow time for it to settle before adding more, then maybe it will take more.

To much oil can ware the seals so wrecked gearbox. Too little is messy aswell.

So use the correct plug! No guess work!

What you say is correct for gearboxes made after sept 8 1987. This is when vw moved the side hole up 7mm. For trans b4 sept 8 1987 you need to fill up until it drains out the side hole then add 0.5 litre extra via the speedo hole…

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Don't quite understand this. I managed to pour the correct 2 litres in via the side hole. None spilled out. I didn't need to pour any into the speedo hole.

1983 Lhasa Green GTI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.