Skip navigation

Newbie From South Africa!! PICTURES!!!

Back to the top

Newbie From South Africa!! PICTURES!!!

hehe :lol:  do you guys have trouble getting spares for the mk1? howcum? germany is around the corner :dontknow: you guys are in the UK right,dont you manufacture golfs there?

Back to the top
The last tintop mk1 golf here was 1983,and the parts are getting thin on the ground,some parts are obsolete now at the dealers,aftermarket parts are about too, but not everything  :cry:  they are old here now,
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
thats not cool...we are fortunate in SA that these cars are still being produced and is an extremely popular car to do up...have you tried importing parts? that does get expensive too though :dontknow: there are unlimitted amounts of spaers available here, its very awesome!!!!

Back to the top
To my dismay, the Citi golf has now been removed off the datatbase at the VW dealers, i waited 3 week for an headgasket, no joy, but was helped by a friend on a forum in south africa.
most parts are the same as 1.5 models, but most parts are now obselete making it harder for us to get parts at all
So you could get parts for us if needed, Pretty please :notworthy:
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
As pete says
pretty pretty please from me too  :notworthy:
Bert

Back to the top
Guys i will help you, im sure you guys would help me too..

what does this entail? i suppose a small part would easy enough to post? what about larger parts? how would you guys organise the posting of the parts?

Back to the top
Bruce,panic not old pal,i dont need anything yet  :wink:  but if im ever stuck for small bits i would be grateful if you could post them  :mrgreen:
My citi was from Benoni origionally,my other citi was from gaeuteng where are you in S.A?
other citi i sold on

Bert

Back to the top
thats a lil beaut…. did you import it from ere? Waht did it cost you if i may ask, you should know that the pound in this country goes a LONG way!!! hehe…. how did you get it over there?

Gauteng, its the northern province, johannesburg is in gauteng too…
i stay in East London on the coast…

Well, if there is any way i can help, dont hesitate to contact me…

Back to the top
thats a lil beaut…. did you import it from ere? Waht did it cost you if i may ask, you should know that the pound in this country goes a LONG way!!! hehe…. how did you get it over there?

Gauteng, its the northern province, johannesburg is in gauteng too…
i stay in East London on the coast…

Well, if there is any way i can help, dont hesitate to contact me…

Back to the top
Thanks mate,same here if you need anything shout us.
Both my cars were already here,the red one came with the people when they left benoni,the other one was on ebay! i got it registered here and sold it to a mk1 nut.
Bert
Oh coast sounds nice you lucky …

Back to the top
oh ok, are they still both going hundreds? Yeah it is, like im in paradise on some days, except when it storms :?  what do ya do for a living Bert?

Back to the top
Im a long way from the coast  :cry:  ,me im a mot tester and mechanic,so i work with cars every day,i like it so im happy with what i do,what do you do for a living? oh and are you bruce by the way?
Bert

Back to the top
yip, bruce….

Im a power electronics technician, I work with UPS systems and backup power, we have bad powerin SA…thats prety cool, being able to sort out your own car and to your own standards which is always good! I try sort my own problems out when i can but i do not have the time sometimes which is a little sad,but yeah…..

Back to the top
we have bad power in maltby too mate.  be nice to have access to parts you got over here! theres a few show-car mk1s running round here with citi panels on them! have you heard of a gts before? 1.6 carb engine? old S.A car (1983)
p.s berts cars really rusty when you see it in flesh hes just good at editing pictures :D

Back to the top
hehe, no offense Bert :D um, the only GTS i know of in SA is the mk 2 GTS? Are you wanting to know about a mk1? what panels are you talking about, fenders? where the wheel arches are? im not used to your lingo..YET :lol: do the panels you are talking about look anything like those on mine?

Back to the top
the rear panel beneath the hatch.  yeah they are exactly same as yours mate.  the gts is one of the first ones, before the sport models. dont worry about bert hes got skin like leather that lad :D
just sold one exactly same as yours, getting a 1989 sport in silver needs a new engine though :|  how hard is it getting the standard shocks off!?!?!?!

Back to the top
oh, the rear panel where the tailights are fitted? yeah, what bout them?

well, the rears are not that difficult to do, the front a little more tricky, need to get wheel alignment done after! im not too clued up with the shocks part, my mates helped me out… if you eagar on getting tip top advice other than on this forum, go to:

http://www.vwclub.co.za/vwforum

its an SA site, excellent!!!!!!!!!!

i heard via the grape-vine that there was a huge ship carrying production parts for the MK1 in South Africa's VW factory and it ran aground at sea, there was like 10million pounds worth of goodies LOST!!!!!!!!!! Production in SA is slowing down for a while by the looks of things!!!!! :banghead:  :(

Back to the top
Bruce,ive just been and hired some diving equiptment,where was the ship?  :lol:
Bert

Back to the top
hehe :lol:  its sacreledge aint it… aparently people were pushing BMW motorcycles out of the sea…taking them home too…!!! wish i could spend a day on that coast-line :wink: i think its somewhere near you mate, Dover….

This is the article regarding the ship…

"London - Salvage crews on Monday began to unload more than 2 000 containers from the cargo vessel MSC Napoli, which is beached off the south-west coast of England, coastguards said.

In an operation that could last months, a barge equipped with two cranes began removing the containers before transferring them to another barge which will take them to the nearby port of Portland, they said.

"We are very pleased the container lifting operation has started and we want to get on with it as quickly as possible," Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesperson Mark Clark said.

The operation to pump 3 500 tons of oil from the Napoli's fuel tanks was continuing after half a tonne of oil escaped on Sunday, leaving a sheen on the surface of the sea which had to be cleaned up, Clark said.

Zodiac Maritime, the managers of the Napoli, said more than half of the oil, or around 1 830 tons, had been pumped out by Sunday.

The two giant barges, one from the Dutch port of Rotterdam and the other from Rouen in France, sailed across the English Channel late last week to carry out the operation.

The 62 000-ton Napoli was deliberately grounded on the World Heritage-classified coastal site on January 20 because of fears it could sink in mid-channel while being towed to Portland.

Her 26 member crew had been airlifted to safety after its hull was damaged in a storm two days previously.

When the London-registered ship left the Belgian port of Anvers on January 17, the Napoli was carrying 2 318 containers but 103 fell overboard in heavy seas.

Fifty-seven of them had been located by Sunday.

Some washed up on the nearby beach, where scavengers rifled through them, taking everything from BMW motorcycles to nappies. - Sapa-AFP "

not cool…. so when yougoing to get us some nice dub goodies ay!!!??? :lol:

Back to the top
that ship,oh yes,250 miles from me  :wink:  should have gone down for the day  :lol:
Bert

There are too many online users to list.