Skip navigation

NWM18 - now with date & place confirmed!

Back to the top

NWM18 - now with date & place confirmed!

Preston Brook for me :) Just so there?s another vote :)

As for the MK2 having the meet with us.. I?m all for it.. I love them.. :dontknow:

MyRivagesigi.jpg

Back to the top
paul...yeah im easy mate regarding the meet ..preston brook ...wiggin tree...no worrys at all.my point bieng to try depending upon the numbers to make it more of a day..more family orientated/ my 6 yr old addores mk1s but am not prepared to sit in a boozer stinkin of fags and ale with her......have a run out..tatton ..etc....or drive out team handed to a local mk2 meet to show off our motors....again there are lodsa options...im in whatever....manchester may be good..get some club flyers out to the public,,,maybe new members and new cars to look at......cheers for the advice with my radiator...2 tear 16valve and new passat fan...works a treat.....pressures down......thanks buddy

Back to the top
I'm not fussed about location, although if its a vote its the wiggin tree, purely because its nearer. I'm not to fussed about mk2's being there, as long we don't end up with 5 mk1's and about 30 mk2's, i really like the idea of a drive, but maybe that has to wait til summer. it'd be a bit pointless if it was bucketing down, no one would be out to see us!  :wink:

1991 Diamond silver 1800 16v Corrado 'Betty'

Gone, but not forgotten;

1985 Lemon yellow Polo coupe S

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1983 Diamond silver Golf GX

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
One more for Preston Brook :D

And i agree with bigstew bit more fun & family and if there is another club meeting there of which i am a member it makes it more intresting and great to meet more people who enjoy Vw's. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Thaks for the suggestions and comments guys. I think its a time to set a firm place and time. GTI Spring Festival clashes, but its quite far away from us (160 miles???) so I don't think it would be a major issue. 1st April is a little too close, 8th is Easter to 15th it is. Avoiding 22nd means avoiding a clash with a CGTI meet in Chester/North Wales too. 15th has the added benefit that we can coincide with Mk2 OC and compare cars side-by-side!

As far as place goes, counting up the above gives:

Preston Brook 5
Wiggan Tree 2 (holeinmk1 I counted you too)
either 1

So, its:

Place: Preston Brook pub
Directions: just off Junction 11 M56, follow the A56 through Preston Brook village, pass the large O2 building on the left then the pub is on the right. Watch for the speed camera, its 30mph limit!
Date: Sunday 15th April
Time: 1pm and onwards

Now, here's a couple of ideas for a cruise or something:

* Trip to Manchester (where exactly though?)
* Go-karting at that big place in Warrington

I'm not too fussed about a cruise or stuff, but if there's a good majority who want to go, I'll come along and play….

Back to the top
i like to the idea of go carting after it would be really good to meet some folks then have a race better on the track than on the road. there is also a good indoor track at trafford park. been a few times good fun more people the cheaper it will be. :)

Back to the top

robgti said

i like to the idea of go carting after it would be really good to meet some folks then have a race better on the track than on the road. there is also a good indoor track at trafford park. been a few times good fun more people the cheaper it will be. :)

My thoughts too. I've been karting once, a long time ago and it was good fun. It would be good to have a driving theme to our day out. If you've been to the Trafford Park place before, can you recommend it? It would be an ad-hoc bunch of 5-10 people, probably, not an organised booking etc. Any idea on prices too?

Back to the top
Go karting? yeh!!!  :mrgreen:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

We're not any better than mk2 owners :x
I think we should be well chuffed that another club wants to meet with us

8O  to be honest here your coming to us as this has been our meeting point now for over 2 years, and we have had no problems with the management of the location

paul_c said

We know our cars are better, and I also suspect that a lot of Mk2 owners secretly wish they had a Mk1!

:? wtf is all that about?  (we know our cars are better)  thats just childish i've never heard anythink like it , and i don't wish i had a Mk1

for me as a VW owner and lover of all VW's it doesn't bother me in one bit if you own a mk1,2,3,4,5 beetle,camper etc etc a vw is a vw to me and i like them all

but if your not happy about meeting with fellow dubbers from another site then i think you should move location to somewhere else

Back to the top

mk2dubclub said

Phataz1 said

We're not any better than mk2 owners :x

8O  to be honest here your coming to us as this has been our meeting point now for over 2 years, and we have had no problems with the management of the location

paul_c said

We know our cars are better, and I also suspect that a lot of Mk2 owners secretly wish they had a Mk1!

:? WTH is all that about?  (we know our cars are better)  thats just childish i've never heard anythink like it , and i don't wish i had a Mk1

for me as a VW owner and lover of all VW's it doesn't bother me in one bit if you own a mk1,2,3,4,5 beetle,camper etc etc a vw is a vw to me and i like them all

but if your not happy about meeting with fellow dubbers from another site then i think you should move location to somewhere else

Whoa slow down! Its not a poke at Mk2s, its simply saying that our club prefers the Mk1s to Mk2s. It was me who suggested and has tried to collaborate on this one, against opposition from a few others on here. So please don't take it in the wrong way. You're right, and we are grateful that you're willing to meet up with us. Its just that the suggestion of "combining" hasn't gone down well with Dano, I don't know why.

I think maybe its confused by the issue of us meeting at Wiggan Tree previously, and a change to Preston Brook and then a second successive meet there.

Back to the top
Personnally when i see a mk2 on the road i try to catch up with it to wave hello to the owner (not many mk1s left round this way), i rarely do(1.1 engine, traffic lights etc). buta vw is a vw to me and i like them all

could'nt have said it better myself.  :D

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
The statements made are a bit naughty and I am glad people have tracked back and made a mends but I agree with holeinmk1.

"a vw is a vw to me and i like them all"

We are all part of a scene of which 2 years ago imploded because of statements to that effect and a lot of "Dubbers" sold up or got out!

I like most of the vw range of cars and the people who dedicate themselves to the scene and I am slowly getting back into it all I am not made of money and don't spend hours putting a flux capasitor on my car or trying to sell my kids for a set of Rm's!
we all have a indivduals choice and his/hers unique style and if all dubs were the same would we be where we are today……

Probably not…….

Raise your glasses as we toast ALL VW's! :notworthy:

Back to the top
as we are an all model vdub club here are some pictures from a meet that we hold a preston brook
OH and look we have a few MK1 owners with us for friendly banter and a pint

Back to the top
Just to put my point of view perfectly STRAIGHT… Paul….

You know damn well that I like the whole range of VW's, having owned a number of models through the years.

However, THIS is a MK1 OWNERS Forum and is dedicated as such. The reason why The Wiggin Tree meet was set up there was partly due to the fact that no other clubs met on the same night and therefore didn't cross over.

If we wanted to meet with other clubs then we (ie the original owners who organised it at the start) could have chosen to meet on the first Sunday of each month when CGTI meet at BAE in Salmesbury. That meet caters for all VAG owners but we wanted our meets to be specifically for our own model otherwise 'the public' would just see a load of VW's and not Mk1's.

I maintain my point of view that if we combine our Mk1 meets with other clubs then it will go the same way as CGTI meets with All golfs, Passats, Audi's etc in the mix. Part of the attraction was to source parts, gain advice etc.

Dan

Back to the top

mk2dubclub said

Phataz1 wrote:
We're not any better than mk2 owners  

to be honest here your coming to us as this has been our meeting point now for over 2 years, and we have had no problems with the management of the location

What I meant was that we should be chuffed to be invited to meet with another club at their location :wink:

I'm really fed up with the elitism of many members of this club :x

Arun

Back to the top

Dano said

Just to put my point of view perfectly STRAIGHT… Paul….

You know damn well that I like the whole range of VW's, having owned a number of models through the years.

However, THIS is a MK1 OWNERS Forum and is dedicated as such. The reason why The Wiggin Tree meet was set up there was partly due to the fact that no other clubs met on the same night and therefore didn't cross over.

If we wanted to meet with other clubs then we (ie the original owners who organised it at the start) could have chosen to meet on the first Sunday of each month when CGTI meet at BAE in Salmesbury. That meet caters for all VAG owners but we wanted our meets to be specifically for our own model otherwise 'the public' would just see a load of VW's and not Mk1's.

I maintain my point of view that if we combine our Mk1 meets with other clubs then it will go the same way as CGTI meets with All golfs, Passats, Audi's etc in the mix. Part of the attraction was to source parts, gain advice etc.

Dan

Thanks for clarifying. Its how I understood it before, though.

Anyone is free to try and resurrect the 'original' Mk1 OC meets at The Wiggin Tree - look at NWM17 and NWM18 as 'slightly different' meets. Whether we call them NWM, or perhaps split off into "Cheshire 1", "Cheshire 2" etc could be an option.

If you strongly want an exclusively Mk1 meet, then I'd suggest start a thread suggesting a date and time (and place probably Wiggin Tree). We'll make sure the Preston Brook and Wiggin Tree meets don't clash (as I've done for CGTI Chester/North Wales and NWM18) so that it gives the opportunity of people who want to attend both, to attend.

Once again, I think we should be grateful that mk2dubclub are happy for us to coincide our meets at 'their' established meeting place.

Back to the top
this is getting daft !!!

MK1 (Campaign) Helios Blue

Xsara Vtr (metalic sunset !!!)

Nissan Primera SRI Lpg (its cheap to run ok!)

Badboy Air Freshener (smells like a bag of Mixed  

Sweets !!!)

Back to the top
Can someone let us all know when this is settled and where/ when we can meet please?

1982 Golf Cabriolet GL SOLD!

2005 Renault Modus 1.5 DCi

2004 Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 DCi

1985 Land Rover 90 200Tdi

Back to the top
Come on guys and gals, put your handbags away. whats said has already been said, its out there, we just have to live with it now. Now, can we please arrange a good time / place / date and get this show on the road.  Come on, i've just fitted some p slots on mine and i wanna show em off!   :banghead:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
I'm at the point of despondency here, all I'm trying to do is resurrect the NW meets after they declined last year. I invited opinions, gave plenty of time and carefully counted who wants a meet where, to come up with Preston Brook. It seems that I can't please all the people, all the time.

Anyway, I posted this a while back:

As far as place goes, counting up the above gives:

Preston Brook 5
Wiggan Tree 2 (holeinmk1 I counted you too)
either 1

So, its:

Place: Preston Brook pub
Directions: just off Junction 11 M56, follow the A56 through Preston Brook village, pass the large O2 building on the left then the pub is on the right. Watch for the speed camera, its 30mph limit!
Date: Sunday 15th April
Time: 1pm and onwards

I'll be doing my best to be there at 1pm on 15th April.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.