Skip navigation

Dodgy Fuel

Back to the top

Dodgy Fuel

Just seen this BBC NEWS | UK | Inquiry into 'contaminated' fuel about dodgy fuel. Interesting to see it was in relation to supermarket fuel as discussed here .

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
my brother recently used tesco premuim fuel in his cobra and within 10 miles it had clogged up his fuel system.  :roll:  :?

Back to the top
I filled my golf up at tescos on the 16th of Feb beford driving from Bury St Edmunds to Leeds my car started stuttering on the way up and was much worse on the way back.
I then filled up at Morrisons in leeds before coming home and have put tesco petrol in last tuesday.
By thursday last week I was experencing major problems but have no choice other then to drive the car as its my only one any husband is working in leeds and im in thetford on my own.

We changed the HT leads Dizzy and rota arm at the weekend as the fuel filters were all fine. car was worse then ever on monday this as you can see by my post in big block carb engines we believed it was the carb.
Monday lunch time I put some carb cleaner in the tank before filling up at the BP garage since then the car has got gradually better and is almost running perfect today. I believe this is because the tesco fuel is now almost gone from my system.

I will never fill up at tescos again and am going to look into claiming the money back for the parts I had to purchase as the car was running tip top until I filled up tescos.

I cant use words on the forum to descibe how angry I am feeling right now.

Sorry for the rant am not a happy bunny.

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 Cabriolet 1500 (under resto)

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
By all accounts ESSO super, Texaco super and Total Super are all good fuels, followed by BP ultimate and shell optimax. The optimax was very highly rated providing you were going to use it pretty much straight away because it was basically normal 95 ron with an octane booster, which gradually dissipated over time! That was all in some report on here ages ago! If someone knows where it is, it made for interesting reading!  :)

Back to the top
as i've said before, all my cars have liked running on optimax more so than any other.

Back to the top
In the report I read, Optimax has the highest octane rating as long as you use it soon after purchase, the others are about 97 ron, but optimax is far more when the booster is first added and is rumoured to be still a few ron higher than 97 when you first put it in your tank!  :)

Back to the top
I just get normally get 95 ron normally from sainsburys or BP (for my nector points) I find my car runs better on it as its only a 1.5 carb engine. I occasionally use tescos but am conviced its caused the problems with my car might go down then in a minute! oohh angry.

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 Cabriolet 1500 (under resto)

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
i'm forced to fill up at morrisons at 39.9p per liter as if i got to the only other garage within 25miles that do my fuel its 45p per litre and there both advitised as calour gas so i'm guessing same fuel

hello!

Back to the top
I've had juddering problems and have used Tesco fuel all the time, although I am in Leeds. Didn't do it when I got it but it has been getting worse. Was your running problems a higher when accelerating at 40 ish cos mine kicks like a mare.

I had the carb serviced and it was apparently 'full of crap'.

I might fill up with the regular stuff from the Total garage and see how it runs after a bit, I'll just havbe to fork out the extra few pence :roll:

Hmm, something to think about…….

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
I had the carb serviced and it was apparently 'full of crap'.

Showing my carb ignorance again but you must have a fuel filter?

My old 1L polo had really cool see through ones so I could actually see if it got dirty.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
I recently filled up with a tank of Tesco fuel for my Mk1. Whilst I haven't had any juddering problems the engine was running noticably hot compared to normal.

Will run it down a bit and fill up with some 'good stuff'.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
After filling up at Tesco (clubcard points!  :roll: ) I have to admit I noticed a loss in power, although no juddering.

Once that was running out, popped down to Esso for some of their lovely Super stuff and now I can use my right foot properly again! :D

1980 Black GTI - now sold
2002 Black GT TDI 130

Back to the top
I was wondering why my polo was running like a sack o spuds,allways put petrol in at tescos (not any more)...but luckily shell Vpower all the time for the green un :mrgreen: allways found it makes such a difference.

Back to the top
I dont work at Tesco i just thought i would add this first! But to this say touch wood! iv never had any problems with tesco normal unleaded fuel and they are generally cheaper than bp and shell in northampton! that just my little bit to add! please dont lynch me? :oops:

Back to the top

marsredgti said

my brother recently used tesco premuim fuel in his cobra and within 10 miles it had clogged up his fuel system.  :roll:  :?

i only shell V-power its tested on ferrai's you know  :mrgreen:

Marsredgti, i must see pics and the spec of this beast please :drool:

Back to the top
We are selling out of Lambda sensors over here at ECP!!!

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
I always stick to Shell Optimax/V-power.

Back to the top
Now thats the sort of older brother you want 8)
if you ever need somone to show you how to drive any of those cars you know where i am  :mrgreen:

funny how the threads about fuel and a cobra comes along, i here there quite economical :lol:

nice collection of cars there dude :wink:

Back to the top
housemate filled up with Tesco fuel 2 nights ago.. within a few miles the engine management light was on and after a diag session the Lamda sensor is shot  8O

not good! and I heard Tesco are denying it?  :dontknow:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Of course they're denying it!  They're not going to admit they have contaminated fuel or else the forecourts would empty.  
This whole thing is not just affecting Tesco.  Most of my work is to do with Sainsburys and the PFS staff I've spoken to all say sales have been down over the past 24hrs - some have seen a 35% drop.

When I'm all growed up (and less brassic) I want this one….

Mk1 GTi White Cab '86

Mk4 TDi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.