Skip navigation

Were VDO gauges(volt, oil etc..)available for the Campaign??

Back to the top

Were VDO gauges(volt, oil etc..)available for the Campaign??

Does anyone know if they were available as an option on the Campaign?? :wink:

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top
I believe the oil temperature was standard, the other 2 were dealer fit options. Don't 1.8s have oil temp in the MFA? I have all 3, I had to add them all tho (1.6, X reg).

Back to the top
Campaign doesn't have any as std - just a big blanking plate across the three holes. I don't think they were a dealer option due to the MFA, but not 100% sure to be honest.

Back to the top
No VDO centre console gauge was standard/an option for a 1.8 GTi (including Campaign).

1.6 GTis/GLis had a oil temp gauge
Series 1 GTis/GLis had a clock
Series 1 GLis had a voltmeter

Banner

Back to the top
My Campaign has VDO oil, water and battery (amps) but when the oils hooked up the MFA doesn't read properly.

I'm not sure where they came from but the car is ex-BRM so maybe it inheited them at the same time as it's engine was upgraded.

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

I'm not sure where they came from but the car is ex-BRM so maybe it inheited them at the same time as it's engine was upgraded.

If the needle is white and the oil pressure goes to 10 bar, its most likely a dealer-fit option or a good replication. If the needles are red and goes to 5 bar, its probably from an Audi. There are many 5 bar gauges on eBay (from Audis) but a handful of 10 bar ones. You need the correct sender to go with the gauge - which is probably why the MFA went inop.

Back to the top

paul_c said

If the needle is white and the oil pressure goes to 10 bar, its most likely a dealer-fit option or a good replication. If the needles are red and goes to 5 bar, its probably from an Audi. There are many 5 bar gauges on eBay (from Audis) but a handful of 10 bar ones. You need the correct sender to go with the gauge - which is probably why the MFA went inop.

i have the red needle 5 bar ones, and think they are genuine.  :dontknow:

where did you get that info from paul?

Back to the top
I have the VW set of gauges then, just wondering wether to fit them or not now?? :dontknow:
I want the car to stay totally standard (I dont mind factory options), you know VAG/OE stuff!! :wink:

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top
Get them fitted Paul,will look spot on :dance:

Dale

Back to the top

8Valverpaul said

I have the VW set of gauges then, just wondering wether to fit them or not now?? :dontknow:
I want the car to stay totally standard (I dont mind factory options), you know VAG/OE stuff!! :wink:

Are dealer-fit options okay, or just factory-fitted options? I got my info from this site, many moons ago, can't remember the exact thread etc. I mistakenly fitted mine, thinking they were standard equipment, because they were in the pictures in the brochure, or something.

Back to the top

paul_c said

8Valverpaul said

Are dealer-fit options okay, or just factory-fitted options? I got my info from this site, many moons ago, can't remember the exact thread etc. I mistakenly fitted mine, thinking they were standard equipment, because they were in the pictures in the brochure, or something.

As long as you could drive away from the dealership with them fitted (when the car was new) then i'm happy!! :D  I dont want to fit something that could'nt of been fitted to my Campaign originally!! :wink:

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top
personally, i'd fit them.

Back to the top
The VDO gauges do not appear in the VW Accessory brochures so if you want a standard looking car I would not fit them as your car would then be not original. In those days dealers would fit most parts if you asked them. My Dad asked for reversing lights to be fitted to his new (1972) Beetle for safety. The dealer sourced them locally (not  from VW) and fitted them.

Banner

Back to the top
Looks like they'll be in the for sale section soon then!! :banghead:  :lol:  :wink:

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top
Sorry for a slight thread hi-jack but can anyone tell me why my 1989 1.8 Carb Cabbie has three empty holes in the centre consul?

If they did not come as standard on this model why didn't VW just block up the holes or make better use of the space?

Cheers

Black Cabbie

Back to the top
My Mk1 Driver had three holes in the centre console too.  All I can guess is that they used to have blanking plates over them?

Back to the top
Indeed they did, in a couple of variations. You can have a plate which goes across all 3 holes, or individual blanking plates (in case you have one, or two, instruments fitted). Unsurprisingly they're no longer available from VW and probably quite a hard find, too. Best fit the instruments!

Back to the top
I have an untouched blank plate!! :D
Maybe its E-bay RARE?? :lol:  :wink:

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top
EKTA lists the following:
Right hand hole = Oil pressure / oil temp
Middle hole = Clock
Left hole = Voltmeter

Can;t see which cars these apply to but are all under Golf for 1983 year.
(Screen is too small to see the remarks column  :oops: )

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top

8Valverpaul said

I have an untouched blank plate!! :D
Maybe its E-bay RARE?? :lol:  :wink:

It might be one of those really *R*A*R*E*    L@@K!!!! bits 8)

vagcat.com lists the guages and has diagrams of the centre console with the housings, is it wrong? :dontknow:

http://www.vagcat.com/…t/vw/GO/1983/7/57/120553/

PS. you might have to register to see it but it's cool cos you can see loads of exploded diagrams for all sorts of bits 8)

Yradave says relax.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.