Skip navigation

1100cc running problems

Back to the top

1100cc running problems

just had my car back from local vw speaiclist they have tuned my carb up and service also sorted the timing so i know this aint the problem.

i have had new plugs cables and fuel filter and air filter to.

sypmtoms are that i have a serious lack of power and "judders" notice a few posts about this but a mojority tend to be carb related.
the plugs keep goin  black but is here any toehr reason other than running to rich?

realy need to fix the problem as its using alot of fuel and i can smell it also.

what else could it be other then the carb? HELP!!!

cant afford to keep taking back as its twenty pound for half hours labour.
 :banghead:

thanks

Back to the top
hi there - i had the same problems - got told its the carb but a guy then said its ignition related as car is juddering, and so to change contact points and condenser…..so i did and changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm at same time…got all the bits from GSF ( which they had in stock ) for under 15 quid…

so i took off the distributor ( making sure to make its possition in relation the the dizzy flange and cylly head and also rotor arm orientation ) and cleaned her up….first changed the contacts…take note that set up correctly needs the dwell angle setting up - but i simply used a 0.4 feeler and as the distributir is off the car it made it easier to use this method than on the car….so i got it near enough bag on…

then i changed the condenser which is simple enough…

then put distributor back on re-alighning the makes i made when i took it off….

no she starts first time - no judders and i dont need to run with the choke out at all once engine is warm ( and i use a KnN filter too )

i did then have to lower the Co mixture down abit to - but i used a Co meter my dad had for that.

hope this helps

PS ppl say invest in electric ignition and get rid of points as they hassle - have a look at lumenition optronic or magnetronic ignition….
may do it myself

Back to the top
thanks mate, if the parts cost under twenty pound i may aswell do  it i have nothing to lose. thanks for your reply il let you know how i get on.

have you got a link please for the site you got your parts?

ps i may get the parts and print this out and hand it to my local volksworkshop, as i am not sure of how to do what you just described about 'dwell' etc.

i take it your cars spark plugs were gathering soot to?

thanks again

Back to the top
Car Parts & Spares -- Buy Online with Fast UK Delivery | GSF Car Parts

the only thing is make sure of the distributor make first - bosch or ducellier.

iv got a 1.1 c formel E and its bosch - iv got some photos of mine on here if you wanna know what mine looks like

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

good luck - if you need any advice just ask…. sure you will see the same results as i did…my car was nearly un-drivable with judders and cutting out whenever i stopped…was hard to start to and cained petrol

Back to the top
thanks mate! great help. il get onto it right away. one more thing, should my 1100cc X reg have a Solex Pierburg 31 PIC(T) carb?

Back to the top
the solex was standard - it should be a 31 pic(T) 6 or 7 and should have that writen on it....the original pic(T) 1 was used on older vdubs like the beetle i think - same thing really though unless im mistaken...?

Back to the top
not too sure about the number following… maybe a 4 at a guess. il check soon and post back up. thanks for your help logic youve been a pearl of wisdom!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Back to the top
no worries - i just looked in my haynes and the mk1 small block carb was a 5 and 6 but i know mine is a 7 so could be 1 of the 3 but possibly a 4 -

good luck and let me know how it goes……

ps if you aint got a work shop manual its a good idea to get 1…try ebay but make sure its for the small block (1.1 and 1.3 ) and not big block and GTI

Back to the top
just read 1 of your other posts about carbs - my mk1 friend MKONE is the man with the knowledge on upgrading your carb if that swhat your thinking - like every1 says keep the manual choke but get a webber…..
iv been looking for 1 since i got mine mk1 5 months ago - no joy so im going to simple service my solex.

i think when u have changed the points you will see how much smoother the car is and realise it wasnt the carbs fault at all…  :D

Back to the top

Back to the top
no - it wont have the scirroco in it as they never did those in a small block

this is the 1 you want
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mk1-1974-84-VW-Golf-and-Jetta-Haynes-manual_W0QQitemZ250083516630QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

keep an eye out - i got mine last week off ebay for ?7.99 with postage and it was still in the wrapper

Back to the top
still in the wrapper!!! jesus.

was a bit hasty and bidded ont his before you reply. states its for small block engines thoug

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…em=190082006334&rd=1&rd=1

hope its the right one!  :roll:

Back to the top
thats the right 1 just odder than mine - probably published in 1982 or 1988 - mine was published in 1995 - only real didd is the outer cover and mine has the revised section in the back - i was really licky with mine - if you lose that 1 though bid on the 1 from the link i sent you....

Back to the top
pheww cheers mate big help. should come in handy with any other probs to. had one with my 1st mk1 but stupidly threw it in with car. should of kept hold of it.

thanks again  :D

Back to the top
no worries - been a pleasure - hope all goes well - maybe see you at the shows in summer - keep me posted as to how you get on….

8)

Back to the top
i will do mate i will do!  :D

Back to the top
HI THERE, I HAVE A 1100 TOO WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS. LOOK AT THE FLANGE THAT HOLDS THE CARB ON THE MANIFOLD THESE TEND TO SPLIT AND SUCK AIR. I ENDED UP PUTTING IN A WEBER AND NEW POINTS DIZZY CAP ETC WITH NO HASSLE. I STILL HAVE THE SOLEX WITH NEW FLANGE FROM GSF IF YOU WANT TO USE IT AS A SERVICE PART

Back to the top
this also could be true for sure - best way to check iis to get the engine warm then switch her off for and minute….spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb making sure not to get any on the filter ( if using a KnN )

then switch her on again…..

carb cleaner iv very flamable so if there are any air leaks it will suck in the cleaner fumes and put the engine revs will pick up for 10 to 20- seconds..

do be careful not to get any on exhaust bits tho as i did say is flamable - i would hate to see ya car go up in flames.

this method will show leaks for sure - there maybe better ways though but thats how i do it - unless its obvious

if once you change the points Etc you still get the problems then look towards the carb

Back to the top

logic said

Car Parts & Spares -- Buy Online with Fast UK Delivery | GSF Car Parts

the only thing is make sure of the distributor make first - bosch or ducellier.

iv got a 1.1 c formel E and its bosch - iv got some photos of mine on here if you wanna know what mine looks like

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

is this similar to yours logic? is it bosch? thanks

Back to the top
mmm not sure if its a bosch - the condrnser on yours is different -

there is a serial number on the distributor body - what is it…. i had a couple of serial numbers so i wrote them down and emailed them to gsf to see if they knew - they mailed me back a say later and said bosch…

your maybe the ducellier version…. i personally think its hard to tell.

but doesnt look the same as mine.

yours does look clean though and condenser looks newish….id try just looking at your contacts first and seeing if the gap is correct and that there isnt any damage to the points.

where are you from???
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.