Skip navigation

Newbie...go gently im only young!

Back to the top

Newbie...go gently im only young!

Hello all fellow mk1'ers!

So a bit about me is in order….

Im 17 and only just about to take my test and im on my second VW?!

I have a big passion for VWs they seem to be my only topic of conversation and its all i think about!

I have just purchased a 1983 MK1 Golf GX and I love it. I shall post up some picture of it as soon as i have cleaned it and shown the old lady as much love and attention as she deserves.

It has a few things i shall be seeing to and i shall post a bit of a restoration topic up.

So go easy on me as im different to the stereo typical guy of my age…i want a classic oldskool run around with character and class, not a tin can that sounds like an elephant with flatulence.

So anyway, if there is anyone in West Sussex that could be there in times of need give me a shout and perhaps we could do a bit of a photo session…

Cheers

Joe

Back to the top

Re: Newbie...go gently im only young!

1mk1dub said

So go easy on me as im different to the stereo typical guy of my age…i want a classic oldskool run around with character and class, not a tin can that sounds like an elephant with flatulence.

:lmao:  loving the description there!

Welcome to the club, good to see more young people appreciating the mk1.  :mrgreen:

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Welcome to the site Joe.  Looking forward to the picks!

Where abouts are you in West Sussex?  I know there are a few on here on the South Coast of Sussex but not many from inland.  I'm in Tunbridge Wells not far from the Kent Sussex border.  Keep an eye out in the meets section as we're trying to plan a kent/sussex/surry meet.

Danny

Mk1 GTi White Cab '86

Mk4 TDi

Back to the top

Re: Newbie...go gently im only young!

Maniac said

1mk1dub said

:lmao:  loving the description there!

Quality :clap:

Welcome to the site!!

Banner

Back to the top
Welcome Joe - looking forward to seeing the pics

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum :)

Great choice of car there - all the good looks, not bad performance, and fantastic insurance prices!!  I chose a GX too, 'cause I'm only 19.

Look forward to seeing some photos up!

Good luck for your test, Dom

Back to the top
nice1 kid

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
hello mate and welcome, be warned there are alot of older users on here :lol:  i'm not one of them :P

Back to the top
well its been a while since i joined and i have made some progress with my car and thought i would show you what she now looks like….

it may be against some of your views and it may be to others tastes…it has just happend this way and im pretty proud of it.

Do remember i am only 17 and have had to do this all on my own, my own money and my own skills, i have prepped the car for MOT and hope she will sail through. I will post a list up of what i have done once i have worked it all out myself!!!

Please leave your opinions, good or bad, im not afraid of critisism….

The BBS RS's you see badly chopped on are the wheels im hoping to buy at the moment (ebay) and so i was just wanting to see roughly if they will be any good….i think they would be….!!!

Cheers for looking…..

Back to the top
nice car mate 8)  looks great on those wide black wheels they realy suit it i think. better than the bbs i reckon!!

awsum car fro a lad your age

Back to the top
looking good mate weldone
if u want to sell the wheels pm me mate  cheeky i know  :lol:
keep up the good work

Back to the top
nice car. looks good on those black wheels.

welcome by the way!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
welcome to the site nice ride loving the look your going for  :D

Back to the top

Back to the top
nice car, a little different, but i like.  :D

Love the picture from the rear, but where is the exhaust?!

Cheers, Andy

P.S. Those wheels are BBS RM's, not RS.  :wink:

Back to the top
hey nice car im only 17 too and havent passed my test but its ina few weeks feels a bit weird welcoming someones as i only joined last week how long have you had it? im ony 4th vw the mk1 bieng my 3rd the other 3 bieng mk2 8vs

Back to the top
Welcome,nice looking car will look nice on the RM's :)

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
what ae the wheels that are on it at the moment? look good to me ... suit the car.

Back to the top
Fen: i have my test in the next few weeks…im gagging to get it on the road…im also on my second vw, first one being a mk3 polo 1.3 - good little car but developed a fatal leak through the bulk head! Had the car since end of Feb i think…

Greg100: The wheels are compomotives, dont know what model, but they are 13x7 et 20 and 13x8 et -20, tyres are Continentals 195/45/13s front and rear so they are stretched on the rear…

I really wasnt sure how it was going to turn out, but i guess its just sorta happend. I have recently accquired a set of GSXR1100 Carbs to be mated to a custom manifold to go on to combat the auto choke problems etc with the Pierburg 1B3 carb and to hopefully get me a tad more power, or atleast make it run a bit better. I would like to mate it to a 5spd box aswell in time as i have one from a gti sitting here. not sure about compatability but we shall see.

A list of things i have done:

FK AK Coilovers and full polybushes all round (every one possible)
Debadged 5 slat grille (want to change to original single headlight with chrome surround if you want to flog one)
Smoked crystal headlights
Smoked motorbike indicators in bumper holes (soon to be removed)
Clear/Red rear clusters (want all red if anyone knows where to get them?)
Bonnet bra
Alpine Head Unit Ipod compatible
Alpine 10" sub in box
JBL 1000w amp
JBL 5" Component speakers in door pods and dash
JBL 6x9s in parcel shelf (descretely done)
Clifford alarm and central locking
New Downpipe mated to new 1600 Gti System (side exit booked in to be done! - removing rear box and adapting centre section with new rear box before rear wheel)
Rebuilt 1B3 Carb
Timing sorted
General Tune up
Recaro Half Leather front seats
Dash removed being rebuilt at present!
Braided brake hoses
New pads and disks
new door mirror glass
…..and probably more i have forgotten!!

Things to do before i will be nearly finished…

BBS RM's
Pulled and extended arches to make it MOT legal over the wheels…
new bonnet
roll cage
interior smarten up
brake upgrade (wilwood calipers)
chrome small bumpers
small dents, stone chips etc removed
Sill pulled back out (gay friend useless at jacking!)
Electrics sorted!
Single wiper
Rear wiper smoothed

Sorry for talking crap…i will leave now!

Back to the top
Hello and welcome! Wicked looking motor! Sounds like youve done alot of jobs and a fair few more to go! Cant wait to see the end result. Good Luck on your test!
There are too many online users to list.