Skip navigation

How much do you think this is worth...?

Back to the top

How much do you think this is worth...?

It all goes to prove, its high time somebody wrote a Price Guide for Convertibles in a similar way to the one that exists for hatchbacks. Since Ross and Walt have been watching prices for a long time, they are probably the best equipped to write one out.

I think there's a lot of inflating of prices and unrealistic ones which appear in adverts, for the cream of the crop out there, both for convertibles and hatchbacks. As stated many times before, its the actual sale price which is important, not the seller's perception. Another thing that happens is onlookers and dreamers will post, giving support, saying they'd love to buy it if only they have the space for a 2nd car, money, they need to sell their existing car, etc.

Back to the top
Put it up for what YOU want for it, if someone offers near to it then let it go, most people do the research on cars like these and know what their worth/sell for, so your unlikely to get people trying to mug you off although you always get one! i had an Iraqi offer me ?500 for my Rallye Golf!!!! i dont think he understood fully my reply! but he did leave! if your not in a rush? just wait till the spring and chance your arm, when people view it they are gonna see its a proper car, and it IS RARER than my red one :wink:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
cheers guys… you have helped me a lot!

:wink:

Back to the top
Some pretty high prices being mentioned here  8O

Neil Riley was trying to sell his for around 3k last year and it took a while, in fact I'm not sure if he sold it in the end or not.  :dontknow:

Back to the top
A car will sell for what someones willing to pay for it, as someone mentioned earlier "dub scene" people never want to pay top money for anything, nobody i have ever met who knows anything about vw`s wants to pay the "right" money for stuff! everyone thinks they can get that elusive bargain, but there are so many rough and unlooked after dubs out there when a nice one comes up for sale at realistic money people turn their noses up! at the end of the day if you pay that bit extra and dont have to chuck money at it then surely thats better economy? and it shows the previous 1 or 10 owners have looked after it not left it in a barn or in the rain and never polished or serviced it! its also very noticable when a dub gets offered for sale its worth ten grand! but if the same person was buying it, it would only be worth 5 grand!!!!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

stew72 said

Neil Riley was trying to sell his for around 3k last year and it took a while, in fact I'm not sure if he sold it in the end or not.  :dontknow:

i was tempted in to buying neils, and made him an offer of ?3000… even though it had no MOT or TAX, and had been SORN. Neil rejected my offer as he said that he liked it too much.

Never mind ey>?

Also…

Topoftherange is right!!! My car has had pretty much everything done for it, but people are so skanky, and negative when it comes to BUYING cars that they expect a 'bargain', and, at the end of the day… a 'bargain' will ALWAYS be a rust bucket or have something wrong with it.

Anyway… keep smiling!
 :wink:

Back to the top
if you put it on ebay it all depends on who's on and what they want to pay, this one didn't fetch much, but miles are 125k.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…Z9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I reckon in winter months you'd be looking at ?3500 for the right person, summer (at a show say, and with the car looking its best) maybe ?4500!!
Aparntly there were only 25 black ones brought in to the UK so rarity may affect the price over the red ones!! BUT it will probably only be a proper VW lover who will part with these kind of estimates so aim your car that way!!  :D
Free add in PVW, maybe the Golf+ and on all the forums!! ClubGTI, E38, here, Demon VW, Volksdragon etc!! :)
Good look mate, it does look like a minter!!  8)  :wink:

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top

stew72 said

If I recall, his was modded though!! :)

See you at the shows!!

Back to the top
your thinking of his tin top, as far as I know the sportline was std.

Price it for 4.5K all day long if you want, just means the 'chance' of finding someone willing to part with that kind of money for a mk1 cabbie will be less.

it being 'rare' doesnt instantly make it worth more, its only 'worth' (in sales, not insurance terms) what people are willing to pay for it!

All depends how soon you want to sell it!  Personally i'd slap it up for sale at ?5K and see what happens!  Worst thing that can happen is it won't sell.

Very nice by the way, I like  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

your thinking of his tin top, as far as I know the sportline was std.

Price it for 4.5K all day long if you want, just means the 'chance' of finding someone willing to part with that kind of money for a mk1 cabbie will be less.

it being 'rare' doesnt instantly make it worth more, its only 'worth' (in sales, not insurance terms) what people are willing to pay for it!

All depends how soon you want to sell it!  Personally i'd slap it up for sale at ?5K and see what happens!  Worst thing that can happen is it won't sell.

Very nice by the way, I like  8)

I completely agree. There will always be people on the "scene" with more money than sense so if you hold your nerve you'll get a sale for a very good price. The downside to this is once you start to fold and start lowering the price people may expect it to come down further…..

Back to the top

is the car for sale

could you email me at james.mansell@hotmail.co.uk with a price. cash waiting

Back to the top
Hi Mark..

If you want the sort of money we've spoken about then you're better waiting till the summer and stick a for sale sign in it and go to as many of the shows as possible…

Try and hook some-one with the car in the metal. Looks a good one….

Back to the top
Cheers for the info guys!

Back to the top

vwdeviant said

Hi Mark..

If you want the sort of money we've spoken about then you're better waiting till the summer and stick a for sale sign in it and go to as many of the shows as possible…

Try and hook some-one with the car in the metal. Looks a good one….

Agreed, I don't think the average person would see it as a rare car not when there are so many options for the same money but with more modern mechanicals. Let's be honest the Mk1 was a relic by the 1990's and VW just kept making them (thank you VW).

If you want top dollar wait till summer and target your audience. I'm a big fan of the Black and the Blue models they are without doubt the classy colour choice so you're on a winner in my mind.

Good luck selling it.

Tian :wink:

Back to the top

mk1 sportsline

Hi Mark
So have you decided to sell and do you have a price??
let me know tim_haines@talk21.com
regards
 tim
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.