Skip navigation

Why do we prefer Mk1s?

Back to the top

Why do we prefer Mk1s?

Whoa…

you guys are getting far to technical for me…

I like my Mk1 for the reasons i've already stated. I've had cars that have been quicker, handled better, been more refined… but there is something about it that 'lights my fire'…

There is only 2 other cars i've owned that have given me the same feelings - My 1985 BMW 325, and my 1992 Clio 16V. The Golf on my test drive just brought back all the driving memories from the Clio, and the BMW struck the same emotional notes as the Golf (my folks had one when i was younger) and (surprisingly) it was the easiest car i've ever worked on…

The thread seems to have lost it's way - it's become a Mk1 vs Mk2 battle royale - strange seeing as it's the Mk 1 owners club. Plus the question was why we like Mk1's. Not Sure why the Mk2 was even mentioned…

'85 GTi Cabriolet
'80 Kawasaki KDX 175
'93 Kawasaki ZZR 600
'97 Chrysler Grand Voyager

Back to the top
my first mk1 cost ?200!
I drove it from Southampton to Glasgow no problem
It needed a bulb for mot
it's 25 and counting.
If that was a beetle (like my friends). It would cost ?2000 and still be a heap of parts needing welded every 12 months.
cheap
reliable
classic

Back to the top

concunningham said

my first mk1 cost ?200!
I drove it from Southampton to Glasgow no problem
It needed a bulb for mot
it's 25 and counting.
If that was a beetle (like my friends). It would cost ?2000 and still be a heap of parts needing welded every 12 months.
cheap
reliable
classic

:clap:

'85 GTi Cabriolet
'80 Kawasaki KDX 175
'93 Kawasaki ZZR 600
'97 Chrysler Grand Voyager

Back to the top
I don't know why other people like theirs(well apart from all the posters above of course) but for me it was just love at first sight. I didn't even like vw's exept for the beetle and couldn't afford one at any rate. Then my friend told me about a convertible mk1 and i was like "meh, it's a golf and i don't really like those cars". Went for a look anyway and was just sold. sure she needs some bodywork done (thanks to an idiot inna van, slightly less now then before, thank you bodyshop) and she's not as qiuet as other cars but it's just fantastic fun to drive. after the test drive i was just sold and have been having fun ever since.

Back to the top
I'm not technical, I don't know much about them, I've had a Mk2, even a Polo GT, but nothing compares with the sheer fun of my Mk1; can't wait to get him out and about again.

I think it's a deep love thing, I remember seeing my first Mk1 convertible, I can picture where I was and what I was doing, I'd only be little, but I remember thinking I'll have one of them - it's taken a while, but the love never died.

My Dad loved 'em, I love 'em, and the other day my little boy asked if he could have my Mk1 when I died; so I think it's also hereditary  8O

Team Sewell

Back to the top
THE COMPETITON COULD NOT LIVE WITH THE MK1 IN THE 80,S,AND THEY,VE ALL BEEN SCRAPPED NOW RIP XR3I,GTE ETC………………..  MK1 IS STILL THE DADDY

Back to the top
They're fun and simple and aren't carrying around half a ton of rubbish like; electric windows, airconditioning, sat nav, airbags, electric seats, catalytic converters, sound deadening, traction control.
They are so light, you can push them with a finger and fix them with a hammer. As said before they are more rot resistant than Fords - and I've had a few of them!

George "Look Bungle's going out!"

Zippy "Well put some more petrol on him then!"

Back to the top
:notworthy:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.