Skip navigation

1.8gti thermostat problems

Back to the top

1.8gti thermostat problems

where abouts could the blockage be, cos the pipes get red hot and so does the thermostat housing unit execpt that 1 pipe
how long have you run it for once the temp gauge gets to normal?
if everything is hot except for the bottom hose, it sounds like there is no blockage, you just have to wait for the thermostat to open which as i said above you need to just let her run with the rad cap on till the fan comes on then top up once cooled down.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I agree. The car will take a long time to run up to temp enough for the thermostat to open. It'll probably take longer than it used to as well, seeing as you've just replaced the coolant and flushed the system.

Back to the top

volkswarren said

where abouts could the blockage be, cos the pipes get red hot and so does the thermostat housing unit execpt that 1 pipe
how long have you run it for once the temp gauge gets to normal?
if everything is hot except for the bottom hose, it sounds like there is no blockage, you just have to wait for the thermostat to open which as i said above you need to just let her run with the rad cap on till the fan comes on then top up once cooled down.

i let it get to 100 degrees and the thermostat till didnt open

Back to the top
me think they open at 87 degrees?
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

Bert said

me think they open at 87 degrees?
Bert

ye that right

Back to the top
where did you take the temp reading from?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

volkswarren said

where did you take the temp reading from?

off of the temp gauge i have, i have oil pressure, oil temp and water temp

Back to the top
let the lump cool down,take off the rad cap,start the beast,look inside header tank and see if water pump is pumping water up the bypass hose back to the tank,give it a rev and see if the water turns into a strong jet,keep your face away though im not insured for accidents  :wink:
Bert
Oh,if it squirts with good pressure when revved the pump is working

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
hmm ok but if its pick up is nearer the manifold, or outlet off the head the water will be hotter there, i really think u need to run it for a good ten minutes, it is supprising how long it will take as the botom hose is cold the other side of the thermostate untill it opens.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

volkswarren said

hmm ok but if its pick up is nearer the manifold, or outlet off the head the water will be hotter there, i really think u need to run it for a good ten minutes, it is supprising how long it will take as the botom hose is cold the other side of the thermostate untill it opens.

the sensor is on the bit where the pipe from the top of the rad and the pipe coming out of the top of the water pump meet

Back to the top

Mk1Fey said

volkswarren said

the sensor is on the bit where the pipe from the top of the rad and the pipe coming out of the top of the water pump meet

Whereabouts are you located?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Mk1Fey said

volkswarren said

Whereabouts are you located?

Plymouth

Back to the top

Mk1Fey said

so its on the water outlet on the front of the head, which will be alot hotter than the thermostate, untill the system is all running correctly, and the thermostate has opened to allow the water to flow through the rad the water in the head is very hot, if u leave the cap off it will boil well before the thermostae opens, the system needs to be run with the cap on, keeping an eye on the gague on the dash, the thermostate will open and the fan come on before it moves all the way to the right of the gauge.

Regards Volkswarren

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.