Skip navigation

Xmas Emergency

Back to the top

Xmas Emergency

To cut a long story straight, was on the dual carriageway on he way back from a meal in london, front left tyre bursts whilst doing about 65/70mph : / - no cool.

Anyway no incidents, pulled her over, AA picked me up and dropped me at family in londons place - car outside their house (i'm kippin the night).

All my tyres are in great condition with plenty of tread left - 5-6mm. So no idea why it happened, anyway my problem lies in that:

I run 195/50 15"  Pirelli P6000's on the front, the front left has burst and needs replacing - I can't put the spare tyre on as I have wheel locking nuts & don't have the unlock bolt with me (its at home a few hundred miles away).

Can i just replace the front left with any new 195/50 15" tyre or does it have to be the same & be a Pirelli 6000 - also if i get a new tyre obviously it will have new 9-10mm tread on it, where as my front right won't.

- Does this mean i have to replace BOTH on the front or not? (i realise i don't have to but will it make a substantial difference)

- Where the hell can i get tyres done in london on Xmas eve - otherwise i'm gonna miss Xmas at home :(

- I'm skint : /

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPP

Back to the top
Where abouts in London are you?

Tian :lol:

Back to the top
SE3 9EJ (Blackheath)

Back to the top
Ontop of that, the only place i can find thats open on Sundays for tyre fitting is Kwick fit - & they are idiots - but if its my last option ill use em..

But tomorrow is Xmas Eve! Nobody will be open then!!!!

AA is now on their way within the hour to remove the wheel lock bolts on the flat so i can fit the spare tyre (a 14" - hardly suitable to drive back 200 miles in a lowered car).

Im gonna miss crimbo : / -  Maybe Santa will bring me a new tyre  :|

Back to the top
Shame, I couldn't get much further away from you if I tried, sorry mate.

Tian :roll:

Back to the top
Firstly new tyres only come with 7mm of tread, 8mm if you're lucky.
Secondly you can safely run different make tyres on the front axle, it's not ideal but you won't suddenly leap into the nearest hedge!  :P
Thirdly, personally I found P6000 to be a rubbish tyre anyway and would never have them out of choice, they're wet grip is dyer and they don't last very long either, but it's your car so it's up to you

2 1983 Campains (concours & track)
1985 Blue GTi Ragtop
2001 Bora Estate TDi SE (very very rare)
2000 Golf TDI commuter
2005 T5 Transporter with 394000 miles on it!

Back to the top
I'm pretty sure u could :P But cheers for any heroic thoughts of rescuing me :)

Back to the top
I would avoid Kwik-Fit myself. If you're going up through London, perhaps to the M1, I'll be happy to check if the place I use is open. Northways Tyres, just off the A5.

Tian :D

Back to the top
Yeh well i've  found that the P6000's are rubbish, and you're right grip in the wet is aweful.

But they were on the car when i brought it.. so no need to replace them.

I can stretch to ?80-?90 so you think i should stick two brand spankers on the front? - what would u recommend? - Continentals or Yokahomas are my first thoughts..?

Back to the top

juz said

Personally I found P6000 to be a rubbish tyre anyway and would never have them out of choice, they're wet grip is dyer and they don't last very long either

I'd have to agree 100%

Tian 8O

Back to the top
Nah, what i'll do is order my tyres from BlackCircles - fully fitted and use their nearest fitting centre.

So what tyre do u reckon? I think either Continental or Yoko a539's?

Back to the top
Personally, i would go for toyo proxes, but im sure others will suggest other stuff too.

Back to the top
Right, AA managed to eventually take off the 1 secure bolt on the alloy and then put the spare tyre on. So i've got something to drive to the tyre centre on - hardly ideal though - 13" Golf Steelie on Pirelli P600!

Anyway, i've heard good things about Toyo's but other than BlackCircles.com they seem pretty expensive, and BlackCircles.com has a 12 day lead time on getting them! - I can't wait 12 days for tyres, i need to be back for Xmas Day  -  preferably!

BlackCircles.com are ?50.12 each fully fitted for Toyo's with a 12 day lead time.. where as the Kwik Fit will no doubt charge an arm and a leg.. :(

Back to the top
are there any scrap yards near  to where you are ? maybe find  a pair of wheels from a mk2 cheap ? or buy all four and have a winter set. might get you home quiker

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
I have Toyo proxies and they are a great tyre on the golf. I got mine for ?35 from www.mytyres.co.uk.

?50 fitted does not seem too bad as I paid ?12 each to get mine fitted!!

You could alway put the smaller wheel on the back until they arrive as it best to keep the driving wheels/tyres the same.

Rob  :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top

mk1jim said

are there any scrap yards near  to where you are ? maybe find  a pair of wheels from a mk2 cheap ? or buy all four and have a winter set. might get you home quiker

The problem i face is that it's Xmas Eve and nothing is open :) -  also  don't have the unlocking key for my security locks which are on each wheel.

I'm hoping fingers crossed that Kwik Fit will be open today at 10 *prays*

Seems some what pointless also getting 4 new winter tyres as i'd then only have 3 summer tyres which is an additional cost for the extra.. Either way i'm gonna stick either some Toyo Proxes T1-R's, Continental SportContact2's or some BF Goodrich g-force profilers on the front.

Will let u know if i make it home for xmas :P lol

Back to the top
Kwik Fit want to charge me ?83 per tyre for Pirelli P6000's which are all they have in stock. - The tyre i don't want at a price i definately don't want.

Off Mytyres i can order Toyo Proxes T1-Rs V 15" for ?30.30 each - ?60.60 for 2 or ?121.20 for 4.

My GoodYear Sports on the rear have tones of tread left and have been good to be so far, is it worth getting 4 Toyo's or should i just go for 2?

Back to the top
I'd go for 2 if I were you - no point spending money where its not needed.

Avoid Kwik-fit too - they always charge you an arm and a leg and still do a crap job.

Don't suppose you could get the train home for Christmas btw?

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
Unfortunately despite how much i want to be home for xmas, i'm not gonna leave my MK1 in central london by itself. Especially after all the work and dedication & $$$ thats been spent on it :) lol

It's sad i know, it sucks as well but i aint leavin the car here by itself, plus it'll cost me ?85 odd return back home. - more money i can't afford.

Just ordered two Toyo Proxes T1-R V 15"

Back to the top
Im in blackheath  :cheer:  Birmingham  :|
Merry christmas anyway
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.