Skip navigation

sign this petition

Back to the top

sign this petition

It seems a bit strange there is such a feeling against road pricing, when its reported to be a decade away, and the government hasn't even made any plans to make a decision on it. In fact there is a complete lack of info of any firm proposals. Also, none of those 230,000 have actually suggested a better way to deal with congestion (have they?)

Sorry for getting on my soapbox but as earlier stated, I'd certainly come out a LOT better from it, at the moment I pay a LOT of money for the running of my cars, and I don't do a huge mileage, use congested routes or enter city centres, etc with it. But I've never complained, I just pay what's asked.

Back to the top
I've signed it because I have the same feeling as most people above.  There have been mentions of Police State but I think it is worse than that.  Its more Big Brother.  Remember Enemy of the State?

One thing that confuses me though:

Bert said

ive had enough as have the million people per week leaving the uk.

Bert.  Thats just wrong!  That means the UK would be empty in just over a year!

Danny

Mk1 GTi White Cab '86

Mk4 TDi

Back to the top
Noone has mentioned about the obvious.. speeding!  Not that anyone on here deliberately goes over the speed limit, I'm sure, but from time to time all of us creep over the limit accidentally, and the tracking devices in every single car would certainly not let any of us get away with it!

Just read the news article that Benici posted..

BBC News said

He was responding to a study chaired by the former BA chief executive, Sir Rod Eddington, which said charging could benefit the economy by ?28bn a year.

?28bn!!  I'm guessing that means that taxes would increase by ?28bn a year?  If so, that's an extra 28 thousand million (American 'billion' seems to be the accepted thing nowadays..) - which makes it 28,000,000,000 / 60,000,000 = ?466 extra each, not taking children and those who don't drive into account..

..I must be wrong?  Someone please point out the obvious.

Back to the top

dannyboyblue said

Bert said

ive had enough as have the million people per week leaving the uk.

Bert.  Thats just wrong!  That means the UK would be empty in just over a year!

lol, I thought it sounded a bit OTT.

Oh, and about Walt becoming PM.. you could declare your 'Dub chick' message to the nation!!

Back to the top

drochesaunders said

Noone has mentioned about the obvious.. speeding!  Not that anyone on here deliberately goes over the speed limit, I'm sure, but from time to time all of us creep over the limit accidentally, and the tracking devices in every single car would certainly not let any of us get away with it!

Just read the news article that Benici posted..

BBC News said

He was responding to a study chaired by the former BA chief executive, Sir Rod Eddington, which said charging could benefit the economy by ?28bn a year.

?28bn!!  I'm guessing that means that taxes would increase by ?28bn a year?  If so, that's an extra 28 thousand million (American 'billion' seems to be the accepted thing nowadays..) - which makes it 28,000,000,000 / 60,000,000 = ?466 extra each, not taking children and those who don't drive into account..

..I must be wrong?  Someone please point out the obvious.

When congestion occurs it costs the economy in general, in terms of inefficiency (longer delivery times for goods on trucks, people unable to work/taking longer to get to/from work, etc). If you reduced congestion then efficiency would improve. The ?28bn figure was an estimate of this. It doesn't relate (directly) to a cost income from the road pricing itself.

Back to the top
Ohhh okay cheers Paul.

Paul, do you ever nudge over the speed limit?  Do you think you'd find it easy to stick to 70 on the motorways, etc, with one of these trackers fitted?

Back to the top

drochesaunders said

Ohhh okay cheers Paul.

Paul, do you ever nudge over the speed limit?  Do you think you'd find it easy to stick to 70 on the motorways, etc, with one of these trackers fitted?

They can't enforce the fitment of a tracking device or whatever, to older cars. They've never introduced legislation which has made a previously legal car, illegal to drive on the roads. I do however fear that they will have a rather punitave road tax band for older cars, which are not fitted with the device.

Or they could do it with roadside cameras and only do it on trunk roads, major roads etc.

Wait and see I guess.

Back to the top
Quit your whinging and come to HEREFORD! Then and only then can you grumble! :banghead: The traffic is one the worst places in UK and even the M25 rush hour goes quicker!

Oh and as for you mutiple car owners - WHY :dontknow:  you only have one pair of hands and feet :roll: if you were an octopus i'd understand but your not!

DONT GRUMBLE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR ACCEPT IT. :mrgreen:

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top

Dougelove said

Oh and as for you mutiple car owners - WHY :dontknow:  you only have one pair of hands and feet :roll: if you were an octopus i'd understand but your not!

Cabrio for the summer
GTI hatchback for Saturdays, shows, fun
Daily driver for to-from work in traffic

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.