Skip navigation

?7.5K Campaign

Back to the top

?7.5K Campaign

Seen this one?

For sale at the Hairpin Company - noticed it in Classic & Sportscar today.
http://www.thehairpincompany.co.uk/
I wonder how much the resto cost? I reckon you could easily spend the price of this car on a full restoration - that is paying somebody else to do it - and not get your money back.
On the other hand, that could make it worth buying. Suppose it depends on what it's really like.
I know that's not the point and all that, and I never actually think in those terms when spending money on mine, but are there any stories where someone's done up a Mk1 as a commercial venture?
I've seen examples of certain vintage and classic cars where it's been done, but I don't know about Golfs……

Back to the top
8O  8O  8O  but looks really   really nice !!!!!! 8O  8O

G60

Back to the top
8O  8O  8O  8O  :drool:

Back to the top
Thinking about it would really like to see some more pics of how she turned out after the resto !!!

G60

Back to the top
Ok just seen the pics and wow !!!! will start saving then lol

G60

Back to the top
Should it have a top tint screen?

Back to the top
It looks perfect.

'89 Black 1.8carb Cabriolet

Back to the top

How clean is that…! 8O

Back to the top
the inner lights dont match.  :wink:

Back to the top

nma said

Should it have a top tint screen?

8O   8)

Yea im sure it should have a top windscreen tint.  :?  .. But never the less it looooks absolutly  8O  amazing! I love it!  :D

Regards
vw_tees

Back to the top
Are we about to re-write the price guide??

Back to the top
Would love to see the build pics...you can never tell how long the paint is going to look like it is now...can hide a multitude of sins, but never the less looks fantastic!

Back to the top

MATTG said

Are we about to re-write the price guide??

Nope, because the ?7.5k price tag means nothing if it doesn't sell!

Back to the top
True, true but I'm taking it as a good sign!!! You just try and destroy my optimism!!! It wont work I tell you

Back to the top
Makes Mine look a good and fair priced bargain to the next lucky owner… :wink:

'83 Diamond Silver Campaign GTI
'85 UR quattro 20v 5 cylinder
'94 VR6 Corrado 82A149D3-2379-4966-97B1-6874E7574575.jpeg

Back to the top
Very nice looking mk1 "The_Chef"  :wink:

vw_tees

Back to the top

The_Chef said

Makes Mine look a good and fair priced bargain to the next lucky owner… :wink:

are you selling it? If so how much you looking for?

Back to the top
Thats had a new strut tower and chassis leg on the right hand side. Hope they got it in right!

7.5K errmm.

It wouldn't cost that much if you managed a rebuild yourself but this is a company with overheads to cover probably selling to someone with spare cash who isn't too bothered about best value and wants some kind of guarantee.

Looks nice though.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
nice car,check out the rs1600 as well :P

Back to the top
Nice car, especially if they have a full picture record of the resto (which I would suspect for that kind of money).

To my knowledge if the glass is to original spec for a Campaign it won't have a darker top tint. Campaign glass has a green tint, but its consistent all round the car (at least it is on mine and the other Campaigns I've seen).

I'd be a little bit concerned about some of the detail for that money though. As someone else pointed out they seem to have 1 Campaign fog (vertical lens stripe pattern) and one Hella driving light in the front grille  :? . Not a biggy I guess, but might indicate perhaps attention to detail wasn't top notch elsewhere? That would be fair enough on a cheaper car, but at ?7.5K I think you would be expecting top notch attention to detail!

On a more general note I don't think on cars like the Mk1, you would really stand a chance of making a viable business of restoring them to sell on (yet), unless perhaps you could do all the welding / painting / trimming yourself. You would be better off investing the effort in something more sought after as a starting point. The effort to rebuild is likely to be similar for something like a classic 911, and costs whilst maybe higher, would be offset by the far higher increase in value after restoration imho.

Still, it looks like a very nice job and its always great to see another Mk1 back on the road for another 20 years  :D.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me fixingup / restoring something like a Mk1 is not really a financially driven decision - its for the fun of doing it, what you learn while doing it and the satisfaction of being able to say you did it yourself.

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.