Back to the top

Atlas Grey Campaign

Well this one has black stripes

Banner

Back to the top
The black stripe def looks better IMO

Banner

Back to the top
I can't decide if I like it cos its rare, or because it just looks nice anyhow. I have the same thoughts surrounding Helios Blue. Would I have a grey one? Maybe….I still have a thing about 'black'.

Back to the top

dubboy said

I think maybe a respray here?

Notice how the tops and bottom of the bumpers are painted grey to mergre with the side stripes…

I like it!  :D

Back to the top

marsredgti said

dubboy said

I think maybe a respray here?

Notice how the tops and bottom of the bumpers are painted grey to mergre with the side stripes…

I like it!  :D

Definitely a respray - its way too good to be original paint! But I think the black stripes are stock, I'm 75% sure on this. I noticed the bumpers too, its possible that this was a standard feature, because we're looking at a continental-spec 'Pirelli' edition or similar, here.

Back to the top
Pirellis were available with and without the colour coding.

But VW did not mix and match the individual parts (mirrors, bumpers and arches)

The pictured car has colour coded bumpers but not mirrors and arches.

Also Pirellis that did not come with the colour coded parts had side stripes, and those with colour coded parts did not have stripes!

Also need to add another colour for silver stripes - Oak Green.

Banner

Back to the top
Aha - so if you colour-coded the bumpers, arches and mirrors, you could say its the "Euro look" - looks really neat and tidy on an Atlas Grey car! I think its all a perception issue, the grey is 'perceived' as a more modern colour (because it went on to be quite a popular colour for Mk2 GTIs) and colour coding of items also took off in the 90s.

A UK-spec Atlas Grey campaign, with all the original trim features, would make an arguably rare and desirable car. I get the impression the eBay one linked above isn't actually for sale, and given the rarity (probably around 10-20) you would be searching for a long time to find this particular variant, if you wanted one.

Back to the top

paul_c said

I get the impression the eBay one linked above isn't actually for sale, and given the rarity (probably around 10-20) you would be searching for a long time to find this particular variant, if you wanted one.

I called the guy up on Thursday and he still had it for sale, After a good chat the car seemed spot on and I got the price down to ?3200 with full MOT, I was happy with that! Day after I emailed him for a few more better photos and requested the cars Reg No for HPI check, I wanted to make sure the car was spot on as I was going to travel on a 400 mile round trip to pick it up!
Anyway, got a phone call off him this morning and he wasn't too happy about taking any photos so he refused, then he would not give me the Reg no and said I could clone it!!! He then basically said I'm not going to sell it to you & you don't deserve to have it!!! At that point I put the phone down…..I just could not believe this guy  :dontknow:

Back to the top
maybe he thought you wasnt worthy of a atlas grey :starwars: , they have special powers you know  8O  8O
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.