Skip navigation

Set your tapes to Record! Wheeler Dealers Tuesday 4:30pm

Back to the top

Set your tapes to Record! Wheeler Dealers Tuesday 4:30pm

Parts one and two are on again tonight from 8pm on Discovery turbo.  But Top gear is on at the same time.

Loving the new avatar Pete!

Mk1 GTi White Cab '86

Mk4 TDi

Back to the top
Just finished watching it, and made some notes.  :roll: (sad or what?!)

Things to do with car that is completly wrong:

1. red stripe on bumper
2. GTI on side decal
3. Grill could have come from a DL?!
4. It was a campaign

Bits on car that were wrong:

1. Side stripes he put on upside down!
2. No wind deflectors on a-pillar
3. Front splitter-corrected
4. Grill-corrected
5. P-slots- not for pre campaign mk1's.
6. It had a black inlet manifold (i think!)
7. Rear decal on boot surround-corrected

Other observations:

1. aeiral blank?
2. Drew!!!
3. Drew's badges looked a bit tired- come on mate!
4. Drew's exhaust tip looked a bit dirty.  :wink:
5. Even after spotting it, the steering wheel was still not straight!

Didnt notice the wrong door pulls though.   :oops: (MrGTi spotted this)

A good days work i feel.  :D

Back to the top
I reckon brewer is a total phoney. He claims to have been a car dealer by trade but shows little knowledge on the subject,  as proven in this episode. I don't know how that Ed bloke puts up with him.  

The best prog I saw on the MK1 was The Cars the Star by good old Quentin Wilson, a man who'd owned and loved many MK1's. I have this on video and recently had it converted to DVD. Jealous ?? :wink:

DubPartz

Back to the top

DubPartz said

I reckon brewer is a total phoney. He claims to have been a car dealer by trade but shows little knowledge on the subject,  as proven in this episode. I don't know how that Ed bloke puts up with him.  

The best prog I saw on the MK1 was The Cars the Star by good old Quentin Wilson, a man who'd owned and loved many MK1's. I have this on video and recently had it converted to DVD. Jealous ?? :wink:

how much for a copy on dvd id buy one

JOEL GTI
1979 mk1 c 1.1L 33k sold :(
1983 mk1 GX 1.5L sold
1983 mk1 gti 1.6 cab sold
1984 mk2 polo 1.0 rat sold
1982 mk1 gti 1.8 sold
1984 mk2 GTI 16V vw motorsport project 16V very rare striped dead!
1985 mk2 GTI 8V runing 140BHP (track car) striping! Dead
1986 mk2 GL 1.8Ldead
1987 mk2 GTI 16V SOLD
Lots of mk3 gti's vr6's and a tdi all sold
1992 mk2 GTI 8V  runout edition sold then bought then sold the bought back and striped!
1990 mk2 GTI 8V in tornado red new car :)

Back to the top
me too  :D

Back to the top

Cars the star

I would like a copy as well pretty please :D Yes I am jealous.Looks like an opportunity to make a quid or two here mate.

Baller

Back to the top
A cash cow, a golden goose ??  :lol:

What I'll probably do is gauge how many people are interested, take orders and then do a batch of copies. I reckon I can also supplement it with more, choice MK1 footage.

The "Car's the Star" footage is of course taken from a video so it's a liitle bit grainy but this doesn't detract from what is an interesting and amusing programme.

I'll post a new thread on the subject. :wink:

DubPartz

Back to the top

Re: mike brewer is a??t

dubstar74 said

Mike Brewer….What a doughnut!!

I like it when he goes to Volksapart in Plumstead and they sell him the wrong grill and other wrong parts!!!  :lol:  

Leave it to the proffesionals???
i like dealing with them. very cheap and super knowledgeable.

yeah right!

neil for me in belvedere

Back to the top
Bring back Count Quentula to Top Gear!
Best presenter there has ever been - before it was taken over by idiots who are only interested in supermusclecars and smashing things up!
Quentin Wilson was superb - actually looked at everday cars without sneering and knew plenty about the motor trade!
I've gone all sad now… :oops:

Back to the top

Oldfart said

Bring back Count Quentula to Top Gear!
Best presenter there has ever been - before it was taken over by idiots who are only interested in supermusclecars and smashing things up!
Quentin Wilson was superb - actually looked at everday cars without sneering and knew plenty about the motor trade!
I've gone all sad now… :oops:

I'm with you on that. TG has become too laddish and is the same old recipe every week. Mindless trashing of cars and arse licking of J.Clarkson by the other two. Bring back the slick Quentin,  William Woolard (always adopting the sitting on the edge of the bonnet style of presenting) and Chris Goffey too (he's the Dad of Supergrass' drummer you know !  :wink: )

DubPartz

Back to the top

Top Gear

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that top gear has gone to pieces.I think lately you watch it if you want to see comedy not if your interested in cars! The last couple of times that I have tryed to watch it I've ended up switching it off
                                            Baller

Back to the top
Thank god for all this common sense - TG has become the most popular car show ever, and I was beginning to think I was the only person in Britain who couldn't stand it anymore - I regularly turn it off and have a rant!
Time was that they used to actually look under the bonnet and talk about engines in 'ordinary' cars, not just shiny Porsches and Astons, but that seems to be what people want. Certainly doesn't cater for the folks who buy Classic Car and Practical Classics type car mags - and there must be quite a few out there!
My favourite episode (apart from Quentin and the Mk 1 GTI, of course!) was when they put a shiny old black 3 series BMW in a car park and asked passers by what it was worth. Everybody guessed several thousand quid except for one woman who said she knew nothing about cars and said ?2000, then ran away! She was the nearest guess to the real value, and Quent went on to say how you could fool most people into thinking you were loaded in an old Beamer (they all still had round headlights then). Very impressive - made me want to buy one! …and Yes…they actually used to look at second hand cars!
Oh well, back to watching dross and reading me old road tests I suppose!

Back to the top

brewer

Getting back to Brewer and our `expert Ed`.They bought a scrapper of a suzuki sj 410 jeep.It was a complete shed but Brewer could see the potential in her-Ed agreed.So Ed sets too and picks up big tyres and rollbars and some wide axels.Then repaints the whole thing and fits wonkey wheel arches.It looks hideous.The engine was also knackered so ed fitted another one from a scrapper.Then after admiring it for a while it goes for an MOT.Sure enough it fails badly.Even after ed had painted the whole thing-he even failed to notice the huge rust holes all over the place.They looked complete tools right there on camera.Then they realise they are gonna have to cut the asking price,now bearing in mind that the total build cost of the jeep came to ?1270,Brewer said he`d be lucky to get ?500 for it.So when the guy comes to view it he gives it to him for ?500.So thats a loss of ?740 plus all eds handywork.

Back to the top
I saw the Wheeler Dealer programme last night, it was repeated again. Lots of detail errors, for example Y reg Campaign? Don't think so! Also, 4 lamp grille had spots, not foglights. All the centre console gauges are wrong - did he not do any research, to find out that the dealer-fitment would have been voltmeter, oil temp and oil pressure? What's the point of putting a clock in there when the dash has one too? Also, I've never seen a voltmeter slowly rise to reflect the voltage. Also, he claims to have bought it from the owner's club website - but it was www.vw-one.com or something like that.

Amusing to the expert, but I suppose its good for Mk1s because it shows them on the telly in a positive way.

It was also good to see, that they struggled with getting correct parts and simple jobs took much longer - so I'm not the only one!

Back to the top

marsredgti said

Other observations:

1. aeiral blank?
2. Drew!!!
3. Drew's badges looked a bit tired- come on mate!
4. Drew's exhaust tip looked a bit dirty.  :wink:
5. Even after spotting it, the steering wheel was still not straight!

Didnt notice the wrong door pulls though.   :oops: (MrGTi spotted this)

A good days work i feel.  :D

The shot of the rear badge is taken from the white project car, not Drew's car  :wink:  I am sure he will give you a severe flogging at Gaydon!

paul_c said

I saw the Wheeler Dealer programme last night, it was repeated again. Lots of detail errors, for example Y reg Campaign? Don't think so! Also, 4 lamp grille had spots, not foglights. All the centre console gauges are wrong - did he not do any research, to find out that the dealer-fitment would have been voltmeter, oil temp and oil pressure? What's the point of putting a clock in there when the dash has one too? Also, I've never seen a voltmeter slowly rise to reflect the voltage. Also, he claims to have bought it from the owner's club website - but it was www.vw-one.com or something like that.

Amusing to the expert, but I suppose its good for Mk1s because it shows them on the telly in a positive way.

It was also good to see, that they struggled with getting correct parts and simple jobs took much longer - so I'm not the only one!

As Campaigns started production in May '83 it is quite possible to have a Y registered one. Whether the car in the programme is a Campaign or not is open to debate. What are the chances Brewer knows the option code for a Campaign  :lol:

As the 52mm gauges were a dealer fit accessory I think we have to let Ed off on exactly which ones to fit. As the cluster was broken maybe the clock was too and someone decided to fit an analogue one.

Brewer, Hammond and Clarkson (maybe May too) - shoot them all. VBH can stay because she is a pretty good driver (and fit in a girl next door kind of way)  :P

Banner

Back to the top
I had the(mis)fortune of meeting Mike,he came to my workplace to film a show on stolen cars for his new series.He is a top bloke and you can forgive his errors as he truly thinks the Mk1 GTI is one of the best motors ever built,and his personal fave of all time.
My Mk1 GTI was at work at the time which he viewed and wished me all the best in my resto.Top bloke!!
P.S he also signed my DVD of the Mk1 episode aswell

83 Lhasa Green GTI

01 Tornado red GTI

Back to the top

dubboy said

Brewer, Hammond and Clarkson (maybe May too) - shoot them all. VBH can stay because she is a pretty good driver (and fit in a girl next door kind of way)  :P

I cant beleive this, VBH does my head in! I cant be doing with the Mummys girl thang she has going on, yes she can drive but she would need to be driving naked to get my attention.

I think your all being a bit harsh on Brewer, we are all golf nuts and know sad little details about them but not everyone does. I know loads of car sales men (my mates) and none of them can tell a campaign from a "normal" GTi. Admitidly the mistakes fitting trim etc is stupid as Ed really should refer to his Bible more (haynes manual).

Clarkson, Hammond and May are all quality entertainment on a Sunday tea time. I agree they dont appear to be doing much car reviewing of affordable cars of late, but quite honestly i dont think i wanna watch a programme about fiestas.

Quenton Wilson writes an article for Classic & Sportscar (or Classic Car?) and every month its great, very impformative and funny.. it is a shame he left Top Gear.

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top

Not just me

This is the first time I've ventured over to this section of the forum.

I am so glad that i'm not the only person that was miffed at the antics of Mike and sidekick Ed.

I was glad that a MK1 was getting on the small screen - always gets me.

However when they start with their catalogue of errors I went off on a serious rant at the telly. My Mum had though i'd lost the plot  :?

The show is entertaining but always amuses me how they never include the labour cost of doing all the stuff needed to get the car in a sellable condition. Oh, how does Ed put up with Mike  :dontknow:

D

Current MK1 rebuild elapsed time - 15 years and counting…
Is it normal to clean and paint bits of your car that will never be seen?
Not-so-new addition - 1996 MK1 Citi Golf (off the road for 4 years… and counting)

Back to the top

Back to the top
You don't need to take off the steering wheel to remove the dials  :roll:

1983 Mk1 Gti 1800
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.