Skip navigation

Cleaning vinyl hoods

Back to the top

Cleaning vinyl hoods

I got a tip off one of my mates the other day….

He used a UPVC solution to clean his cabby hood and said that it came up a treat. I tried the same last night and can confirm that it works well.

I managed to do the sides and half the roof of the cream hood and now it looks like an advert for a 'before and after' product! I will be finishing off tonight when I have made a purchase of 2 more bottles this afternoon.

The cleaner is from a company called GAP, Partnership Way, Shadsworth Business Park, Blackburn. 01254 682888.

Dan

Back to the top
Dan,  can I use this stuff on the inside of the hood,  I've got a black hood but inside is cream and has grease or something all over.

Thanks   :D  Lisa

Back to the top
I guess so. Thats my next project, mine isn't that bad inside as I don't smoke and have a cover for top down cruising.

My mate used the stuff on his blue hood and it really shone afterwards, try some on yours… you might be surprised!!  :lol:

I've just picked some more bottles up, they come in 1 litre bottles at ?2.00 +VAT (11.5p).

Dan

Back to the top
dano, could you put up some more details, whats the product called, so when i ring em i sound coherent!
cheers, and some piccies!

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
The product is simply called 'UPVC Cleaner Solution' or similar NOT the cream. Its pretty heady stuff and will need to be used in a well ventilated place.

I found that its best used with a rough cloth, such as an old towel or similar so that the grime will soak up into it. The first time I used it I went over the sides and half the roof. Next night finished the roof but it was clean than other other side then. This situation went on for a while until I got the majority off but it looks a 100 time better now. I still want to go over it a few more times to get all the muck out from 3 years worth of simple wash & wax not doing its stuff.

I mentioned to the fella at the window place that he may get some enquiries from us and he said 'more the merrier'.

I can't do photos at the moment cause my work pc won't allow me to used Photobucket. Damn!!

If you want me to text you a photo pm me with your number.

Dan

Back to the top
cabriaulait….. you have an email from my work account.  :wink:

Hope they have come out.

Dan

Back to the top
thanks!!

scared the bleedin life outa me :lol:  :lol:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
Can you post them up for the rest to see?

Sorry for the scare!!! Always watching!!! :lol:

Dan

Back to the top
ive tried mate

but i think theyre too big or something, wouldnt upload
ill try again in a bit

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
got one

B680F060-1006-4B0E-8AC4-FBD78EA29064.jpeg  

more to follow hopefully

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
18846A7D-19FC-4D8F-8CB5-068137ABE701.jpeg

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
Thanks for doing those.

Its shows how much I neglected my hood. I still need to go over just a little bit more now… I'm getting bored of the comments being made by passers-by while I'm on the driveway..

"You still doing that roof"
"Isn't it clean yet"

and my personal favourite…

"You can do mine if you want"

Oh, the times I've laughed at that one!!!

NOT!

Back to the top
they take forever to upload 

A0CD392C-7304-4DCE-A8FD-B5A654C6D64D.jpeg

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

Back to the top
6 megamillion christ how big is the camera?? :lol:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
i simply dont know if ive got a vinyl roof. how do i find out? ive got a 92 rivage blue with dark blue hood. also how many bottles did u use to do the job? and does it just clean the roof? ive got faded lines where the bars are across the roof....anyone know how to combat this?

what i dont know about engine work…
is worth knowing about

Back to the top
mk1golfgtisportline…..

If your hood feels like fabric, a bit 'furry' and textury (?) then its mohair. If its shiney and plastic, then its… err… vinyl !

So far I've nearly used 1 bottle (1 Litre). I'm still doing it so that its fully clean but as it a boring job its going to take a while. My hood had marks where the bars went across too and they have gone now along with the black water drip marks and the fold marks. If you have a plastic hood, give it a go… it can't be any worse can it?

If you're on mohair use the Autoglym hood cleaner. Another mate of mine used it on his cabby Beetle and got good results from that.

Cabriaulait… its only a small camera about the size of a mobile phone. I think its a Pentax with a built in zoom and best of all… at the shows this year.. its waterproof!!!

Dan

Back to the top
ill be honest with you….its doesnt seem like anyof them ha ha. it isnt shiny but it certainly isnt furry.
close up its like cris cross pattern. its original hood if that helps

what i dont know about engine work…
is worth knowing about

Back to the top

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.