Skip navigation

SWM14

Back to the top

SWM14

So then! Where shall we hold the next South West Meet????

For a while now the location has been debated. The problem is the patch the meet covers currently is so wide. Currently the club is in its infancy so numbers attending meets is often few but in time I think this will grow and eventually we'll perhaps have enough members to split the patch up a bit  :dontknow:

Anyway, for the time being its been debated and it looks like it might be a good idea to vary the location of the meet to make it more attractive to more people in certain areas in the South West.

At SWM13 its was suggested that the venue for SWM14 on Sunday the 8th of October is Exeter Services just off J29 of the M5.

What do people think of this and where else would people like to see the meet held in the future?

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
I think its a good idea to rotate the location, but the whole point of Taunton was its central to most members.  How about we rotate between Exeter services, Taunton (junction 25) and Cribbs Causeway :dontknow:

SWM14 at Exeter, SWM15 at Cribbs, SWM16 'Christmas bash' at Taunton.   :dontknow:

Problem is there, myself, doug and some of the bristol lot wont be able to do SWM14 due to distance, and Cribbs has already been expressed as too far for some of the devon/cornwall members :banghead:

I very much doubt it will get so big as to split the region.  Numbers have dropped dramatically from early this year :banghead: If we split it into a devon/cornwall and a bristol/glos region, we are in danger of having so few people that it becomes pointless.

What do other SWM members think :dontknow:

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V Oak Green

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
Yeah! :mrgreen:

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
also might do the opposite.
by coming closer down might get more members wanting to try their 1st and not have to travel very far so not getting lost, or feel more at home?

I agree about the meets if they are rotated i could only make 1, possibly 2, out of the 3.

It has to be worth a go.
Also agree about somewhere more scenic in future not just car parks.

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top

kriss said

I think its a good idea to rotate the location, but the whole point of Taunton was its central to most members.  How about we rotate between Exeter services, Taunton (junction 25) and Cribbs Causeway :dontknow:

SWM14 at Exeter, SWM15 at Cribbs, SWM16 'Christmas bash' at Taunton.   :dontknow:

Problem is there, myself, doug and some of the bristol lot wont be able to do SWM14 due to distance, and Cribbs has already been expressed as too far for some of the devon/cornwall members :banghead:

I very much doubt it will get so big as to split the region.  Numbers have dropped dramatically from early this year :banghead: If we split it into a devon/cornwall and a bristol/glos region, we are in danger of having so few people that it becomes pointless.

What do other SWM members think :dontknow:

sounds a good idea Kriss and very fair 8)

Back to the top
I think thats fair too. I think its definately worth trying something new like this to try and get some more numbers and make things more interesting.

I'd be happy to make a trip to Cribbs even though it is about double the distance. It'd be nice to have a beach meet sometime too, maybe in spring :dontknow:

Oh and I'm not suggesting we split the meet up now, or soon! It would probably be a couple of years at least before this could happen. Again it all depends on numbers.

Everyone up for meeting at "The Barn Owl" pub instead of the services. More cheerful than the services (similar to the Harvester), probably cheaper for a drink and they still have a large carpark.

Its here, right near the services….
http://www.streetmap.c…x=296228&y=92807&z=0&ar=Y

Doug and Kriss… Its about 30 miles extra along the motorway from the normal venue for you guys. Is that just too far or do you think you can be pursuaded?  :dontknow: :)

Back to the top
The beach meet is a fab idea Ross :D We could make more of a day of it, and it should attract much larger numbers :D

I think we are in agreeance with the new rotation format - so lets give it a go.  If it doesn't work, so what, we gave it a try 8)

What does everyone think about this new location instead of the Harvester :dontknow: 30 miles down the road you say :dontknow:

Well my GTi is in the bodyshop getting fixed 8O I intend to take it off the road at the end of this month for a winter break :roll: I will be using the Storm for the 'winter meets', so please excuse me as its not a Golf.  Well at least its a mk1 watercooled vdub :D

Daisy you remember the 1st time i turned up in a bright green Micra :banghead:

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
ill be there

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
The North West Massive are having simular problems with low turn out.  We need to make a big push for future meets, especially when the location is central.

Next Spring we have RTTS to look forward too also :D

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
So is the next meet at exeter services 2nd sunday of october?

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
Do you fancy the pub nearby the services instead???

Back to the top
as long as its nice and easy to find for everyone, should be an ok turn out by the looks of it everyone, hope ppl make the effort :)
nice to hear some new people might be coming.

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
Hi SWM - I'm not dead (but the car is  :(  guess that is what happens when absolutely no maintenance is done over the whole summer. How rubbish am I?).
Currently SORN'd but should be BOL in 2 weeks. Just a broken sping to change on the DS rear (no spring compressors, so a garage job) and new rear shoes both sides. Checked them myself and the garage weren't lying.. amazing what we forgive our cars!
Hopefully I'll be BOTR and be at a meet soon!
Cheers
Key AKA Ciaran AKA Reverse boy AKA Zip Tie Man

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
Rear shocks can be done without a spring compressor, they aren't that bad to do at all! The main problem you could face is getting the nut undone that attaches the strut to the axel. It can be a bit seized. I've been messing about with mine this weekend.

So do you think it'll be BOTR for this meet on the 8th of Oct?

Lets have a show of hands for everyone coming to this meet :)  Ciaran… I want to see yours dirty from those repairs!!! :wink:

Back to the top

key_ring said

AKA Zip Tie Man

LOL :lol:  You cant fix it with them! - Unfortunetely :wink:

As for your nuts - try an impact driver -  easy undone. HTH

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
well, again

ill be there  :y:

so that makes one

come on its this weekend people. get your names down, so much for everyone turning up this time? lol

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
I won't be there I'm afraid. Even if I get the offside rear spring replaced (anyone got one?  :dontknow: ) the retest isn't until next Tuesday (and my tax has run out…  :( )

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
Sorry to hear that Ciaran, good luck getting it sorted.

I have spare springs but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with my rear suspension at the moment so might need all the springs I've got!

So is it just me and de3660  :cry:

Come on! make it a good one!  :D

It may be a little further this month for some in the northern parts but it'll be at cribbs next month so a little shorter! The extra mileage will cancel out!

Back to the top
I'd love to Ross, but its way too far for me  :cry:

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
yeah ross, (not kriss or douglelove becuase i know its too far for them) but where are the people that said would attend this meet as it was closer this time?!
thats the reason why we are doing it to try and find people closer this way that didnt want to go the extra before.

Other than that have you decided on a definate place for this months meet ross? is it where you said a few places ago.

I know last time rich_m came from plymouth too but he cant make it this time.

:dontknow:

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.