Skip navigation

20v Conversion thread

Back to the top

BACK FROM THE DEAD

20v Conversion thread

well it back after a long time

some updates for you as your aware im using megasquirt which has been interesting indeed

ive been having trouble with the coil on plug setup so i had to look at another alternative to get this running right the outcome was amazing ill start from the begining

the megasquirt uses ignitors called vb921s these basically send a signal to the coils to tell them when to fire due to the 20v lump not having a twist to adjust dizzy the ecu has to control it all with the original 20v coils i was getting some weird timing advancing  which casued the car to run crap

after speaking to a guy called toyotec(club gti megasquirt god) we decided that the cops must have some kind of dwell control which was interfering with the ecu so i went to the scrappy and got a peugeot 306 coilpack 4 pole as these run wasted spark

fitted the above and it started ok but the spark was very week on further investigation it turns out the resistors fitted in the ecu from when it was built were way to big they were 900ohm  when they needed to be 300ohm  8O  8O

so armed with my soldering iron i set about removing the big resistors and replacing them and the vb921s with some new items pic of the board

got it all back together and the improvement was amazing starts on the button no misfires at this point a test drive was on the card :lol:  :lol:

so with the man hinself (toyotec) sat in the passenger seat with the laptop of we went

on the first run up my private airstrip (A3 :lol:  :lol: ) we were over boosting we were getting 24psi :o  which wasnt good for the engine so after a quick pit stop to change a couple of pipes around we stopped the problem with a safe map being produced we were getting some fantastic results

and beleive me a 20vt in a mk1 cab is no sloutch  :lol:  :lol: due to the gear box being the 8v 020 1st 2nd 3rd gear was a complete waste of time wheel spin in 4th now im grinning off the clock in 5th then the gear box revs out at about 120mph (thats all my clock reads and it was on my private air strip)

anyway we did some searching online to find out this is the first 20vt sucess with megasquirt so im a happy man

the car went straight through an mot well whern it came to the c0 the mot tester was stood looking at the engine with his allen keys saying so where is it  :lol:  :lol:  at this point the laptop was required hee hee

going to london on the 18th to see toyotec for some final mapping cant wait

first outing will be santa pod spring festival where ill being doing 1/4 mile runs to see how it does

Back to the top
Brilliant mate, sounds good! 8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
great info,
 putting the AUQ(180bhp) in mine with oem management (keeping standard clocks as i agree new ones look pants)

be interested to compare to your megasquirt
of course if i lost i be straight off to revo for a chip  :lol:

what bore exhaust are you using?

for anyone else doing this i found the intercooler from 2003 ford mondeo turbo diesel fits quite well, looks like this

might be a cheaper solution than custom, cant vouch for its effectiveness as not yet tested but has similar core size as the original for the AUQ

Back to the top

oem

the oem stuff is good but with stand alone you can squeeze every last bit of bhp out of the engine before you need to change injectors turbo ect ect

going to do a head to head at santa pod with dub76 and his emerald setup should be interesting  :lol:

Back to the top
another reason to go stand alone  8O   

some of the loom i didn't need :lol:

cost is the main reason i'm using oem, to be honest i think 180hp will be plenty for this project, it will be a daily driver and more of a cruiser than a race car. can always chip it up to 210hp if i'm disappointed, what sort of power are you aiming for?

Back to the top

lol

thats a good reason not to go oem i had a similar thing i got the whole A3 loom and it was a nightmare so i just used the engine harness and cut out the bits i didnt want

Back to the top
it wasn't as bad as i was expecting really after a bit of prunning it started making sense. :lol:

this is what it looked like when i went live to check ecu / imobilizer operation  :? engine is on the trolly to the left
computer say's no faults found  :D

Back to the top

cool

looking good mate

when i finished with my loom i was amazed at how little of the 20v harness i actualy needed thats the joy of stand alone

the wiring side of things isnt as bad as people make out its mainly common sense and a good wiring diagram and jobs a good un

Back to the top
bens_cab, how would you say this engine compares to a 16v or G60 conversion?

What does the power gain relate to in real world terms - acceleration/top speed etc? How does it affect the handling - is your car nose heavy?

Roughly how much has it cost you for the engine/loom/engine management? ?1000 - ?2000 or under a ?1000? or more?

Do you have the maps for the engine management system?

And finally, do you think that it has the cost and effort to do it has been worth it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm seriously thinking of doing one myself.

Cheers

Shonky

'82 Mk1 GTI 1870 160bhp
'83 Mk1 GTI 1800 (Now deceased)
'80 Mk1 GTI 1600 (Now deceased)
'83 Mk1 GTI 1800 (Now deceased)
'81 Mk1 Golf 'C' 1093 (Long-Awaiting racecar transformation)
Audi A8 Sport (Gone but not forgotten)
Toyota MR2 MK1

Back to the top
Now if (when im richer) i could source a 1.8 20vt and all the needed odds n sods then get it mounted in my car would you want to come for a holiday to scotland to help me wire it up? lol I have to admit i suck at wires! Infact because my car started life as a carb (& atm it still is) im thinking i'd need gti tank and fuel lines to go along with the engine?

Looks mental mate :)
cheers ebo

1.3 Driver - 1.8t in progress
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56551

Daily driver : e36 325 tdi se / slammed on konis and bbs rco401's
Daily offroader : discovery 1 6" lift monster :D

Back to the top

scotland

well firstly you will need a gti tank and a efi pump doesnt have to be vw can be a vauxall cavalier

as for a holiday i never get on lol

the wiring is easy i could supply you with a ecu and loom then its just a case of splicing a few wires easy peasy sounds harder than it is but trust me anyone can do it

or i could come up there for a couple of days it wouldnt take long mate  :wink:  :wink:

Back to the top

ecu

well the car itself is like a stelf bomber lol it doesnt no dive under weight

as for performance its second to non you can drive the car as a daily driver and get good mpg or you can thrash it hard and get the biggest grin ever

dub76 did santapod last year and beat a scooby so it speaks for itself :lol:

Back to the top
hmm.  20vt makes me happy.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

lol

makes me happy tooooo :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

20 valvers with a chattering wastegate yes please

Back to the top
Its not actually the wastegate chattering the sound you hear is the air getting chopped up by the impellers  :wink: There is actually no such thing as wategate chatter :D

Back to the top

lol

theres always one thats spoils the moment :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

and yes the chatter is the air getting thrown around the intake known as wastegate chatter :wink:

Back to the top
Chatter or nae its still gonna sound good lol :D Im a poor student atm so it would need to be a good price :P it will be in the future but i'll keep you in mind!

1.3 Driver - 1.8t in progress
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56551

Daily driver : e36 325 tdi se / slammed on konis and bbs rco401's
Daily offroader : discovery 1 6" lift monster :D

Back to the top
orite mate do u have any more pics of ur car

I have a MK1 Golf GTI

Back to the top

yep

heres a few pics of the new ic pipework :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Back to the top
thanx mate it look smart like.It just want  me to do mine Quicker now.

I have a MK1 Golf GTI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.