Skip navigation

Mk1 Citi update

Back to the top

Mk1 Citi update

Hi bert,
          i've had the car since april and have done 2 oil changes myself, has i am a fussy one also lol, engine is sound, 72,000
This is the rocker that came on it

Where the breather pipe is, on inside of cover it is designed different, not flat like the rockers like i am familiar with on mk1, mk2's, this is what struck me and why i fitted the guard and rocker like yours to it, this as stopped the oil to air filter full stop, must be a design flaw on the later citi's, but this is where i look for advice from the experienced mk1 owners.
If in future i have this problem where oil is coming to air filter, is there a cure for it?
Cheers bert, pete :wink:

Back to the top
my turbo diesel engine i brought for my mk1 non turbo  was a bit smokey,when i looked at it,oil was pumping through the breather pot on the rocker box and pushing into the turbo,in turn it was being burnt,i stripped the engine and found it was beyond an expensive overhaul, so i went for a 1.9TD from a 94 golf which turned out to be a VW exchange engine  8)
The oil in air box problem in cases of worn bores and rings is usually terminal and requires bore and new oversive pistons,the quote was ?1024 so i scrapped the 1.6TD which was supposed to be an ebay low mileage motor from a 1990 car,the date stamp i found on the inlet manifold showed 1986 so the geezer was full of s…
The 1.9 lump is mint and is going in very shortly……………………TBA
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
More update pics, shes ready friday for me, cant wait, i have missed the drive :mrgreen:

Will post pics up when fully done, have MOT to get sorted soon as i fit interior etc, also managed to get me a set of front arch liners to look after the wings hopefully
best wishes all

Back to the top
8) nice work

Back to the top
Here she is finished, hope you like her, plus she cruised through MOT today.
I still have to fit A pillar wind deflectors, mudflaps & mk3 vr6 lip, seats retrimmed in leather i have fitted, just awaiting the finishing of door cards and i'll post up more pics.
Decided to fit original rear lens's as they look better, plus had a new rear number plate made to freshen the back up with www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk  placed at the bottom of it
Best wishes all

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
Here are pics of interior finished, hope you like it, just awaiting handbrake cover to be made and all done.

Best wishes :wink:

Back to the top
Wel done mate that looks Brilliant  :clap:

On the rust issue on SA mk1's speaking from experience it all depends where the car was owned in South Africa cars that come from the coast tend to suffer more from rust than cars that are from inland areas(salt air from the ocean) ,cars rarely get the same sort of treatment (wax oil ect) in SA as they do here as a lot of people just dont have the spare cash…..Any ways dont mean to harp on
You have a great car well done  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Thanks fella,
                  it was originally from namibia if that helps any, i have attacked the body with wax oil, will be fitting front wing arches protectors tomorrow as it did not come with them on.
Best wishes and thanks for reply :wink:

Back to the top
Namibia is on the west coast of africa ( Im sure you knew this ) but this colud explain the rust
When I say I speak from experience …I grew up in South Africa and my first car was a mk1 similar to yours ( not as nice though :D )

Again cracking car  ….enjoy it  :wink:

Back to the top
Added mudflaps and the peco backbox, just need to fit lip on front bumper and wind deflectors, which reminds me, does anyone know if fitting deflectors is a pain or easyjob?

Thanks

Back to the top
a full respray after only 9 years! good effort!

Are any other panels on the Citi the same as on the older mk1's?

From experience the wind deflectors are a bit fiddly to get under the windscreen rubber, but once you have the top of it in, you can usually just run something thin down with it keeping the rubber ontop of the plastic wind deflector lip.

HTH

Cheers, Andrew

Back to the top

marsredgti said

a full respray after only 9 years! good effort!

Are any other panels on the Citi the same as on the older mk1's?

From experience the wind deflectors are a bit fiddly to get under the windscreen rubber, but once you have the top of it in, you can usually just run something thin down with it keeping the rubber ontop of the plastic wind deflector lip.

HTH

Cheers, Andrew
When i got the golf, the bodywork was let say not at best, i bought it off a couples whos 19 years son drove it, and it show'd, big dent on drivers wing, two big dings on panel underneath boot, and a nice big rust spoton one rear arch, so instead of doing little areas, best getting full blowover done.
as regards to panels, The grill will not fit, front panel is differnent and i believe but not sure that the front wings are different also the rear quarter panels with the tick like designs on them, everything else is the same!

Back to the top
how did you get that car over from SA

life begins at 220kmh
1990,1800 sport citi golf (blue and white)

Back to the top
Cuan, I think you need to resize your avatar pic  8O  :lol:

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top

cuan007gp said

how did you get that car over from SA
I agree also fella, your pic is a tad on the large side lol.

I didn't import it, i bought it from previous owner who they themselves imported it to the uk in 2000 from SA, car was registered in Namibia originally.
Best little buy i have bought :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.