Skip navigation

Mk1 Citi update

Back to the top

Mk1 Citi update

A little update on the citi, it went in today for new coat, she'll be missed :cry:  for all of 2 week lol.
Here are some pics of her stripped down, legal enough so i could drive her to bodyshop, thats why front bumper is still on for indicators.
Staying the same colour, i did some prep work myself to save on cost, i did the front bumper which had holes where previous owner fitted fogs, and removed wing arieal and filled hole on wing.
All door cards, seats & interior, window glass on both sides, wipers, handles and side mirrors removed and them ghastly mats lol, never to be seen again :mrgreen:

I have a spoiler which clips onto rear screen to be fitted whilst in bodyshop plus i have been busy respraying the alloys to give them a new lease of life, hope you agree with colour.
In i have sprayed in hammerite gloss black of which from my view turned out pretty well, excuse the one wheel which looks copper like, this is the light reflection, sorry about that

Now have a set of mudflaps ( Thanks Crazy quiff), i will leave them to last til after everything as been reinstalled.
front seats have been replaced with gti ones these and doorcards are being retrimmed in grey leather.

Anyway enough ranting, will keep posted once she comes back out with pics

Back to the top
Same colour ?
When finished ?

Mind if i ask how much for the 2 week paint job?

Wheels look nice

Cheers………….

Back to the top
What the hell is the finish on the bottom wheel? Is it chrome spray? It looks immense!!

Back to the top

chudd said

Same colour ?
When finished ?

Mind if i ask how much for the 2 week paint job?

Wheels look nice

Cheers………….
Its upto 2 weeks, ?1000, might be around 12 days or so as he has another car to work on so going between one and the other, so he said 2 weeks to be safe, it does have quite alot of dings and some dents and usual rust on rear arches, fronts are mint, and surface rust at bottom of A pillars to be removed.
I wanted repsray in black but its the wife's car and she loves the original colour so it staying.
The last pic of alloys i took up close with camera and realised the flash on on thats what is giving the chrome look, but it is a black gloss spray paint by hammerite, approx 6 coats on each wheel.
Thanks for your comments guys :D

Back to the top
Went to have a look today, nearly ready for primer.
Guys have been doing a cracking job, rust cut out, new welds in on arches.
Will take pics of when primered, also one pic in there for the ladies or gents if your that way inclined :wink:
Will be out wednesday next week
Also chose not to put the bbs lookalike alloys on as they tend to be a pain to clean, so looked around for ones to suit the mk1, was looking for the old Voodoo 2 alloys, but hard to find so bought these, pic at bottom

Back to the top
Looking good so far. Will be great when all that bodywork is sorted. Last thing to do on mine (apart from some electrical gremlins). Those wheels look good with black spokes / chromed rim.

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
no no no to the wheels boy racer :roll:

JOEL GTI
1979 mk1 c 1.1L 33k sold :(
1983 mk1 GX 1.5L sold
1983 mk1 gti 1.6 cab sold
1984 mk2 polo 1.0 rat sold
1982 mk1 gti 1.8 sold
1984 mk2 GTI 16V vw motorsport project 16V very rare striped dead!
1985 mk2 GTI 8V runing 140BHP (track car) striping! Dead
1986 mk2 GL 1.8Ldead
1987 mk2 GTI 16V SOLD
Lots of mk3 gti's vr6's and a tdi all sold
1992 mk2 GTI 8V  runout edition sold then bought then sold the bought back and striped!
1990 mk2 GTI 8V in tornado red new car :)

Back to the top
NOoooooo, joel, please dont say that, i was looking so hard for a good look, i tried so hard for the voodoo 2 alloys, but they no longer do them in 15's, i dont want the boy racer tag as i am not one, i've seen grandad's drive faster than me lol, this as ruined me arrgh  :banghead:

Back to the top
great job! that will be a cool car when new coat is on.

ps… i can think of 5 zillion wheels that would be so much nicer than the voodon'ts

Back to the top
Oh well, these are going on, i was looking for the square type look which would have suited perfect and in my eyes the voodoo aka voodont's lol would have gone perfect, but i can always change them in near future.
Also does anyone here know the name of the paint, the code is GY5
Thanks again

Back to the top
Classic Mk1 rust on a fairly new car  8O  but it's looking good now it's on the way to getting sorted.

I really like those wheels btw - don't think I've ever seen them on a Mk1 before, but they should look sweet, especially on a 5 door.

Back to the top
I was shocked at amount of rust myself considering its only 9 year old.
Is it common on areas i will mention for rust on mk1 as i had this on this car, it is A pillar to wing area (both sides) rain channel that runs down both sides of roof, rear arches and worst was the front panel around headlights.
This is my 1st mk1 and i would like to know as much about this car as possible.
Thanks for comments, it's nice to see and hear other member thoughts.
Best wishes :wink:

Back to the top
my car is from 83 and its mostly original paint, and it hasnt been garaged as far as i know, and its a daily driver, the arches have some rust, and thats about it i guess, i would have thought the rain channels would have been rust guarded much better? maybe the quality of the city golf isnt as good as the originals??

i live to dub....

Back to the top
Cheaper steel? Hot South African climate may mean they aren't as well rust proofed as german mk1's?

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
A friend who has owned many a mk1 and 2's warned me when i got it to wax oil it and underseal it, now i can see why, hopefully all sorted when respray is done

Back to the top
My citi was here for 10 months before i got it,it has never seen a uk winter (no window in garage  :roll: ) it was garaged by the previous owner when the tax run out so it has had an easy life,the first thing i did was to put the plastic front wheel arch liners on the car to stop all the water and crap going up into the front wings,i took all the panels off and waxoiled everywhere i could,there is a thick rubbery coating on the floorpan like uk cars,but i didnt see much cavity wax about like uk cars,but in south africa its not really a problem,so i guess they dont go to town on the rustproofing as much,mine is a 94 and is totally rust free so im ok  :wink:  most of the parts i took off the car to replace were made in germany anyway so the quality of the running gear is as good as ours,there was cavity wax under the carpets that i noticed.
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Mine has been here since 2000, so plenty of time for our british weather to attack it, do still need to get a pair of platsic covers for front arches.
Also bert did your rocker cover have the vw logo on it, did you replace it for an original mk1,2 rocker? the reason i ask, is a fault i found was that slight bits of oil i found in air filter, it puzzled me until i removed the rocker cover and noticed that it did not have a oil splash guard, which i believe is due to the design of the original cover, therefore one would not fit thus oil coming into air filter.
I changed it and fitted a splash guard, no more oily air filter :wink:

Back to the top
try the wheels and as you say you can always change em!

front arch liners are a definate must do! they will save your wings and the door posts too.

get some wax into the sills too - lance inject it from each end!

yearly applied waste oil kept the floor pan in 98% rust free condition - so decent wax oil would be even better!

Back to the top
front arch liners i have asked for in for sale section as someone is breaking a mk1, hopefully they have them and i'll be a happy chappy, cheers fella :wink:

Back to the top
I have the origional citi rocker cover on still,it has no oil splash guard on it but i dont have any problems with oil in the air housing,its usually a sign of crank case pressure which blows the oil up the breather,mine is low miles and internally the engine is mint,it had a service every 3000km every 6 months religiously in south africa,and had 3 oil changes in the uk in a matter of months (fussy owner im glad to say) i have changed it 3 times in about 500 miles,(4 years) so its good.
bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.