Skip navigation

Paying members vs freeloaders

Back to the top

Paying members vs freeloaders

Right folks.

Let me jump in here with a few comments. I will write an FAQ at some point.

1. The Club DOESN'T have a financial problem. All current and foreseeable future outgoings are covered and budgeted for with no predictable problems.

2. The Club evolved from a purely website+single annual meet background and has only been running for 20 months.  We do have plans for the future, but we are taking things slowly and evolving both the structure and arrangements to match demand and expectation.

3.  Specific members only sections of the website for paid members do exist. However, limiting access (as originally planned and minuted in AGM 2005) to particular sections of the site was extremely unpopular with forum users AND the paid membership. A poll of the paid membership was taken and a unanimous decision to make the forum effectively free and paid for by membership was ratified. This situation is effectively 'policy' for the site and will not be revoked until further notice.

4. Club aspirations to date have only been to be the premier website of 'mk1-ness' on the internet. We've probably achieved that by now.

5. The Club is for all Mk1s, standard, concours, rusty, modified, whatever. Our emphasis is on standard cars simply to promote their continuation. If folks feel this is putting off modified owners then we should address this. MODIFIED CARS ARE WELCOME, it's just got to be a Mk1.

6. Future plans include a parts service, insurance valuations and more representation, but I'm keen to make sure we can walk before we can run.

Thus.

The forum will remain effectively free.
Members sections will exist for private communication for members.
We will not limit 'registered user' (ie. not paid members) access for any reason unless the majority paid membership demands this.

Priorities for 2006/7

Support and increase regional areas.
Grow the website to include better registers, options, FAQs and knowledgebase
Increase committee presence/posts to cover new fields
Look at a specific team for running Gaydon, and include new suggestions (cruise, camping, disco, themes etc as suggested by attendees)
Insurance valuation service.

Minutes from the AGM and financial statements will be uploaded in short order.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
:clap:

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Richyrich - I can relate to that and completely agree.

Drew - thank you for setting things straight.  We can finally put this thread to bed - it was getting a bit nasty and was not a good reflection of the forum.

Mk1 GTi White Cab '86

Mk4 TDi

Back to the top
I think I need to add my bit here…

I am a so called "Freeloader".
Do I have a conciense, Yes.
Am I bothered about being a free loader, No.

Personally, I don't feel that I will get anything for my ?20.
The major benefits such as free entry to the Gaydon show etc are a bit of a bum deal for me, as I am  not likely to attend (Unfortunately). Being based miles away from any form of VW show and having a wife (and baby) who thinks I already spend too much time and money on my car means that I tend not to go to the shows anymore - I can see her point.

Does this mean I am giving up on my Mk1 - No way! I'll just stay with the scene from a distance, I.E. the internet.
I get a lot from this forum and like to think I give as much back - I am in the top 10 when it comes to post count, so I am certainly around quite a lot!

If the forum was to be for paid members only (Drew has already says this will not be the case), then my user ID would probably be forgotten, along with many other users!

That is my 2p…
AL.

Back to the top
Hooray - thank you Drew!! :D

As for Tim Hale - I have been driving mk1's for 20 years and have owned 5 so please respect that there is more than one point of view and that other people may have more or similar mk1 experiences to you.

Philspeed

Philspeed

Daily driver - Mars red Campaign with period mods.

Project - `83 1.8 GTI completely standard and mine since 1990.

Back to the top
glad things have been ironed out ive only been a memebr afew days and i dont think this thread is a true reflection of the site, which from what i have seen is the number one and just what i need….
memebership will follow the more i use it

what i dont know about engine work…
is worth knowing about

Back to the top
Nice1 Drew  :y:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
someone lock this, tis pointless. :banghead:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

TimHale said

Stew 72 wrote
That means that 80% of the technical knowledge, information, rare parts for sale and general entertainment is being provided by the "freeloaders".

Rather an unsustainable argument but under the circumstances, one to be expected.

Why unsustainable?

Can you prove otherwise?

And please quote in context.

Back to the top
i think the only way to sort this out is a pro evo 4 contest….

I will represent the "freeloaders" (dont worry, im awesome!)

Back to the top
I will lock this thread at this point. If anyone is unclear as to our current status, wants clarification of our priorities or has any other questions, please send me an email at chairman vwgolfmk1 .org.uk or PM as usual.

As mentioned before, minutes of AGM 2006 and financial statements will be online shortly.

Back to the mk1s… :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.