Skip navigation

rat look cars yes or no

rat look on mk1or2

yes {-} [15 votes]
no {-} [3 votes]
yes very cool {-} [14 votes]
no never {-} [14 votes]
This poll is closed. You cannot vote unless it is reopened.

Back to the top

rat look cars yes or no

hmmm seem to be an interesting subject!

I guess you either 'get it' or you don't, I for one certainly do, and love some of the cars, and you can definatley tell thought has gone into some of these cars.

now for a selection of pics from my collection, I know not all of these are 'rat' but then I don't really like specifically labeling cars anyway:

Warning for G-DUB: this post may contain traces of karmann ghia rat pictures

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
yea now thats what i call a rat look 8)  something thats evolved. It's a very hit and miss thing to make a ratlook work  especially on modern cars

Check this link (mk2 golf ratlook) doesnt work well on this car ?http://www.demonvw.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6933&highlight=rat

I like the black m2 with skulls

Back to the top
those are quality!

Mk1s are relatively worthless in the grand scheme of things, its not as if they're rare ferraris or something!

as for 'appreciating' a car.  thats totally subjective!  Ratting a car doesnt mean its not appreciated for what it is!

Its the Ikea of flat packed furniture, good value, but also looked nice and worked well (and you get stiffed by the extras ;)  :mrgreen:  :P  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

that really is grand isn't it.

Better out on the road rather than moldering in a damp corner somewhere, and every bump tells a story. Fantastic.

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top

crazycar said

yep its awesome 8) the thought and work thats gone into the paint is amazing, with the ghosting and airbrushing!:

well the reactions seemmed fairly good so I'll just carry on, I have quite a few…

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
MMM Id like a closer look the skull mk2 paint i need more skulls on my caddy

is it your  mk2  mk1 vdub?

some details on my rat caddy

Back to the top

mk1vdub said

crazycar said

yep its awesome 8) the thought and work thats gone into the paint is amazing, with the ghosting and airbrushing!:

No disrepect intended here, but am I the only one who thinks this is not cool??? Driving around in a car with Giant Skulls on it doesn't appeal to me I'm affraid. IMO It might work on a camper or bug but I don't think it works on a mk2.

I don't mind some of the older bugs and Buses with Natural patina (Cars that tell a story), but all this fake….'lets make our car look rough', doesn't do it for me & personally I think the Rat look has been done to death now.

Like I said , personal opinion…..so don't al crucify me at the stake.

85 Polo squareback
MK1 MX5

Back to the top
I personally think the ratlook is great because you can experiment, get creative and form something interesting. Granted with the 'right' and relevant selection of parts/stance etc. It's all about the image, attitude, mood, and shock value. Hopefully inspiring people that with a bit of thought, they too can own a memorable car and it doesn't have to be a full blown pristine show car,
or super fast.
Thanks for your pics mk1vdub-I've downloaded quite a few of them! ;-)
Cheers,
Julia

Back to the top
I had a so called Rat Look 63 bug in 88/89, before the term rat look was being used on the scene and it actually won a prize in a show for being the 'Dirtiest Dog'. It was only in Primer Grey as it was work in progress and cost a fortune to get all the work done at the same time. Taking into account that this was the time in the scene when Cal Look was in full flow and full of City Brokers with more cash than sense. Since then the so called Rat Look as evolved into something I appreciate. Ok there is an awful lot of money thrown at Rat Look cars to make them look that way, but at the other end there are some really nice WIP's out there too. I like em and I'm sure they'll evolve even further still and its nice to give those without a bottomless bank account a chance to stick their Pride an Joy in a show with a chance of winning something or the car just being appreciated by others

<html>

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Fordyx/cf416f53.jpg&lt;/html&gt;
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.