Skip navigation

rat look cars yes or no

rat look on mk1or2

yes {-} [15 votes]
no {-} [3 votes]
yes very cool {-} [14 votes]
no never {-} [14 votes]
This poll is closed. You cannot vote unless it is reopened.

Back to the top

rat look cars yes or no

what do you all think about the rat look thing :twisted:  going to do my mk2 golf in to a rat look car for winter i will put pics on later :D

JOEL GTI
1979 mk1 c 1.1L 33k sold :(
1983 mk1 GX 1.5L sold
1983 mk1 gti 1.6 cab sold
1984 mk2 polo 1.0 rat sold
1982 mk1 gti 1.8 sold
1984 mk2 GTI 16V vw motorsport project 16V very rare striped dead!
1985 mk2 GTI 8V runing 140BHP (track car) striping! Dead
1986 mk2 GL 1.8Ldead
1987 mk2 GTI 16V SOLD
Lots of mk3 gti's vr6's and a tdi all sold
1992 mk2 GTI 8V  runout edition sold then bought then sold the bought back and striped!
1990 mk2 GTI 8V in tornado red new car :)

Back to the top
pressed wrong one, shoulda be no. ratlooks are cool, however a golf comes under "shatlook" the rat look for waterpumpers :)

Back to the top
Very cool, love "rats"

just so long as they don't slip into "rot" look they're fine!  :lol:

Back to the top

Laughingboy said

just so long as they don't slip into "rot" look they're fine!  :lol:

Can be a very fine line!

Black Cabbie

Back to the top
What a load of rubbish :lol:  I really can't see the point in making your car look awful on purpose :dontknow:
Deffo a big NO NEVER from me :roll:

Back to the top
I love it though not sure I would want one!

Kind of agree with pitslayer that its better suited to aircooled tho…

Seen some wicked ones at shows this year

Rach

Back to the top
Whats a rat look? Like massive tail and whiskers and stuff?

MK1 GTI 1983 (love of my life)
Mazda MX3 1.8 V6 ( Daily Drive)

Back to the top
You could get an old car, do nothing to the bodywork, leave it dusty and rusty and do something special under the bonnet, maybe some new alloys and tires.

That would be good.

Fake rust. Dumb.

Easy look to get very wrong. Only seen it done right on Aircooleds so far.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Again a very fine line. Did anyone see that mk1 that PVW did a few years ago? They totally stripped the paint then bathed it in salt water and put Schmit rims (i think). The interior was pretty battered and had old bottles of vodka and eighties mobile phone in (again I think). That looked pretty cool.
Some cars just have that right look/stance whether they are battered or completley mint its hard to describe.

If I was trying to rat a MK2 I think I would take off the wheel arch spats, slam into the weeds and try and dull off the paint??????

Back to the top
I love it on Beetles, Vans and Karmann Ghias, there were some awesome examples at BugJam this year.

I've never seen it on a Golf so I'd have to reserve judgement, if anyone has any pics of a MK1/Mk2 they could post I'd be interested to see.

'93 Clipper 1800i
Pearl Green
RH Cups
-40mm
K&N Panel Filter
SADLY NOW WRITTEN OFF

Porsche 944 2.5l LUX Fuchs alloys, pipercross induction - hole in the fuel tank, hopefully!

Back to the top

Heres a very good start…

and before all the boring people come along and start slagging it off - DON'T, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.   :)

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
that is seriously low 8O  It must be on air bags???

that thing stuck to the passenger window, is that some kind of air blower?? :dontknow:

Back to the top

Mr_GTI said

that is seriously low 8O  It must be on air bags???

that thing stuck to the passenger window, is that some kind of air blower?? :dontknow:

No bags, i believe its got longer turrets, it scrapes nicely along though. Raised engine/tranny also…

the " thing " on the side is something called a " swamp cooler " it blows cold air into the cabin as you go along, some of them you can fill with ice for extra  chill.

Note the collection of cats eyes in front of it…..haha…..

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

the " thing " on the side is something called a " swamp cooler " it blows cold air into the cabin as you go along, some of them you can fill with ice for extra  chill.

quote]

Easy fit air-con  :)

Banner

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

Note the collection of cats eyes in front of it…..haha…..

OHHH, is that what they are, I thought that they were some flat orange skins :oops:  :lol:

Back to the top
A difficult one this . in my opinion beetles campers and busses can look pretty cool when done properly . ive seen a few that when u look closley dont actually have any dents and all the rust is very minor induced surface rust . and i think these cars have been well executed . I dont give any respect to people who rat a car because its easier than doing a proper job on it . In my opinoin there are a few rules though

never try to rat look or retro  a mk2 , there just too recent , maybe a bit of classis 80`s bad boy ( not the bonnet leave it alone ) or for sure smooth low euro .

never rat look a Karman ghia these cars deserve too much damn respect to do that to it . there buitifull

weather the cars rat or shine it should have straight pannels and everything should still work well . other wise its just a shed .

Back to the top
I agree…it does seem like an easy way out when you can't afford a respray or any new panels! I'm loving that blue mk1 though…a cool example of the proper rat look  8) .

I could have done with one of those rear window stickers for mine when I first got it  :oops: …nice touch!

Back to the top
i think it only looks good on a caddy

Back to the top
Sorry but I have to disagree. I'm a fan of the rat look but it isn't something you can just create with a modern car, it kind of creates its self and only works on old cars in the spirit of true hot rodding from back in the 40's and 50's when people were into real street racing and the whole idea was to have a stock or scruffy looking car because they either spent all their money on performance parts and couldn't afford a paint job, or they wanted to fool their opponant into thinking they had a rubbish car with sun blistered paint etc.

One of my favourites is Jimmy Shines 'Bare Nekid' which has no paint, just bare metal. Only in So Cal can you get away with something as cool as that.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2838/s5000021agm0.jpg

Back to the top
whats a rat look?

what i dont know about engine work…
is worth knowing about
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.