Skip navigation

if i did a 20v conversion on mk1 myself.....?

Back to the top

if i did a 20v conversion on mk1 myself.....?

very interested in this megasquirt, where can you get it from

Back to the top

megasquirt

go look on the msefi forum

i got mine prebuilt from Bill Shurvington hes one of the moderators

you can buy them in kit form and build them youself

Back to the top
For those thinking of a 20v in a mk1, have you seen this thread on edition38

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40579&st=0

Autocavan pedal box group buy, allows hydro clutch and removal of master cylinder from engine bay for smooth look more room for turbo/pipwork. Im trying to get the money together to get one because they dont make them unless you can get together a group like this.

Golf MK2 G60 for sale soon to fund MK1

ShackTools.com

Back to the top

you got to get one

20v do it do it do it my is running and almost ready for e38

just a mot to go now  :lol:

Back to the top
Nice one! Any advice? What was hard and what engine code did you use?

Im now planning early passat/a4 on the standard management as its not tied to clocks/keys but with an inlet manifold from an AGU. Also got my pedal box ordered and my mk2 g60 is almost ready for sale. Hehee, Im getting closer.

Golf MK2 G60 for sale soon to fund MK1

ShackTools.com

Back to the top

hmm

my engine is the agu lump the only bonus with the a4 lump is the offside mount will bolt straight on

the downpipe and intercooler piping was the hardest part but i made the downpipe which will be getting replaced soon with a ben leech special the ic piping is of lots of different cars but its going to the fab shop soon to get some nice shiny alloy ones and minimal samco

i think wiring the a4 stuff maybe harder than the standalone you really need to think about it i dont think its going to just plug in and the hassle if could cause may not warrant it

Back to the top
stop tempting me,

i need to decide what sort of engine i will be running.

how long did it take you to do the project

Back to the top
Thats awesome! great work! great to have someone on here that has taken that transplant on!

be prepared for lots of questions!

Back to the top

lol

trust me it aint as hard as it looks it has taken me a year tho but thats due to being lazy and working lots kinda a evening thing with the car

the megasquirt thing is good but like you say my email has been full of people asking how i did it and to be honest ive replied to most of them as i feel that if i can help a fellow dubber then its made it even more worth while

guy down the road from me is going down this route so allready been in touch and given my wealth of knowledge to him  :D  :D

and for my next project 20vt mk1 polo you know it makes sense  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
how much quicker will this be than a 9A running twin 45s and flowed head, cam etc?

Back to the top

hmm

well put it this way a 20v running 180bhp is a scooby eater you have the added bonus of a turbo if i was you id see if theres one local to you and get em to take you out for a spin you will be smiling for the next few days

i really dont know how people compare a 16v and a 20v

dont get me wrong 16v are quick but nowhere near a 20v dub76 was doing qaurter mile run in 13 to 14 seconds 16v were doing 16 to 17 you would need to put a turbo on a 16v to get anywhere near a 20v

but then if you had a 20v without a turbo the 16v maybe quicker ive driven both and did the conversion that made me soil my pants :D  :D

20v all the way

Back to the top
im at least looking for a car to do 13 to 14 secs 1/4 miles just to be anywhere near my polo was and that was a 1.3

Back to the top
This is a good thread , i have been thinking about a 20v myself.One question can you run a 20v with approx 200bhp through a 020 gearbox as i don't fancy a cable change box?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top

box

im using the 020 box and my mate dub76 has done 20000miles on his 020 box and thats 190bhp

there are things you can do to the box to mate is stronger the diff pins are a week part but can be relaced aswell as a quaife diff

im using an 8v box but i do have a spare not expecting it to last long but not to bothered should be a grin seeing how long it lasts :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
what gearbox options are there, and will the clutch need upgrading if mapping to 200bhp

Back to the top

box

gearbox options

stanadard gti 020 box
16v 020 box
mk3 tdi 020 box

g60 box
20v box

the clutch is your preference i have a new 16 clutch with my 020 box most flywheels and clutches bolts straight to the 20v engine

for peice of mind go with the 20v box least that way you know it was built with the 20v engine in mind

if you go with a 020 box theres is the possibilty it will expode at some point but i find that just a good excuse to go work on the car :lol:  :lol:

some people have mentioned using a vr6 clutch plate but im 90% sure its not going to fit as the vr6 box and flywheel are different to the 20v

Back to the top
just been on a site there

www.qpeng.com

has some good info and plenty of pics just to add to the good info already 8)

Back to the top

yep

qpeng is where ben leach works this is probally the best place to get a downpipe allthough they cost ?250 for a steel jobby but do come with a reducer so it will slide straight on your centre section

im just waiting to get paid then im getting one from him i made my first one which was only ever a tempory measure

Back to the top
thats made my mind up after reading this , 20vt is the one for me . now if i can sell my mk2(sorry)vr6 .................

smoke me a kipper  , i will be back for breakfast

Back to the top

20v

just do it took mine for its mot today the best bit was scaring dogs that were out for there walks my waste gate chatter is the most amazing noise ever

oh yeah and the car failed on all suspension number plate lights which he said dont work but they do and breaks still need bedding in

so just need to get some coilovers then it can go back for a retest

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.