Skip navigation

if i did a 20v conversion on mk1 myself.....?

Back to the top

if i did a 20v conversion on mk1 myself.....?

how much could i pick an engine, loom, keys, ecu, gearbox, custom mounts for it.

and do the conversion myself.

most of the work will be done by myself.

how much of a ball park figure am i looking at

dont mind if its a 150bhp version. not to bothered really. as i would be tuning it later on anyway.

Back to the top
anywhere between ?2k and ?3k I reckon depending on how you can drop on bargains along the way

Back to the top
Some nice reading on here:

Qpeng.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Back to the top
Here some great links for mk1 20v conversion, loads of info on engine mounts, etc.

http://monty.syr.edu/swap/mk1.htm

Yet another 20v build thread | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

http://www.funksoulkitty.org/ (mk1 sirocco, but much of it aplies to mk1)

From what Ive seen of 20v engines for sale, its about ?1000 for BAM (225bhp) engines and ?400 to ?600 for AGU (150bhp) engines.

Golf MK2 G60 for sale soon to fund MK1

ShackTools.com

Back to the top
do it dude, what ive been doing is,
randomly one day after a few problems with my old engine, got it in the garage whipd old engine out and sold it next day so that was gone. so now i had to get something to put in! so i was surfing along and got a 2litre cheap scrapd the rest apart from the block, waited a few weeks  :roll:  then found the head i wanted, whilst the major bits were not coming in my path (at the right sort of money) i was collecting all the other bits and bobs i needed like engine mounts gear linkages brakes suspension. then when the things come up that i need'd at the right sort of money i wanted to spend i bought it. mines been of the road about 3months now and ive only just got most of my bits i need, if u aint in no rush for it and u have another car to potter about in, just take it of the road, and rip ur old engine out and get rid quick before u change ur mind!! this way u have to replace it no matter what! and whilst its out u may aswell get something under the bonnet abit special ;)
sorry its not help on prices or how to do stuff.

simon

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top

sim0n_parker said

do it dude…….. waited a few weeks  :roll:  then found the head i wanted, whilst the major bits were not coming in my path (at the right sort of money) i was collecting all the other bits and bobs i needed like engine mounts gear linkages brakes suspension……………….

Good post, thats my plan. To do it myself and take my time. I havnt even sold my current car or bought a mk1 but Ive already bought the engine mounts, as they came up for a good price. Early mk1 shell to buy next!

ShackTools.com

Back to the top
i havent bought the mk1 yet.

got to repair my engine and sell my car. but i am selling bits like wheels and water injection, spare driveshafts off my car to get money to buy a mk1 and start getting it prepared. im in no rush.

a 150bhp 20vt can be mapped to 200bhp cant it. with no other mods

thats enough for me

Back to the top
have just been reading those websites…..

dammit! to many ideas, not enough money/space.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

G40chris said

i havent bought the mk1 yet.

got to repair my engine and sell my car. but i am selling bits like wheels and water injection, spare driveshafts off my car to get money to buy a mk1 and start getting it prepared. im in no rush.

a 150bhp 20vt can be mapped to 200bhp cant it. with no other mods

thats enough for me

Me too! Just geting the charger rebuilt for my G and a couple of other little bits and bobs before selling it. An AGU 150bhp should be more than enough for a mk1 really and then as you say you can get it remapped to 200bhp if you need more. I want to keep the oem ecu too, you planing oem managment too then?

ManicGTI said

have just been reading those websites…..

dammit! to many ideas, not enough money/space.

Good arent they!

:lol:

ShackTools.com

Back to the top
Got a mate selling a TT sourced 225 engine,all ancilaries, loom, clocks, ecu, key,think the engine done 25K
Wants a bag o sand (?1000)

So many dubs so little time, so much rust

Back to the top
i dont want to go stand alone if i can help it as that costs more than the engine

i havent decided what engine i wanna use yet.

was looking at 2litre 16v on twin 45s, or 1.9tdi, or 1.6 16v cam, headwork, twin 40s.

thats why im checking whether it is worth me going full hog and going for the 20vt instead

but i like doing things different and the 20vt has been done quite a bit. but does have easiest tuning potential

just need to know if i got enough money before commiting

Back to the top

20vt

hi mate

just completed said conversion and it cost ?1800 with stand alone engine managment

if i was you id go stand alone steer clear of the oem stuff that can cost more to get an immobilser defeat than standalone

as for the engine AGU lump is good only 150 bhp but with the right injectors and turbo good for over 200bhp

im using megasquirt had a few issues with it as i was the first to use this on a 20vt but now its running its come together so easy

dont get caught up in buying expensive stuff that can be fabbed up by yourself i made my own mounts downpipe loom ect ect

ill be at e38 if you want to see the car should be on the road by then good long drive so i can give it a good mapping :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
loving the idea of a 20vt mk1 more and more…have to save up and do it in a few years.

i'll have to have a nose at e38 anyway  :P  :mrgreen:  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
If you went with an early aeb engine the early ones dont have an imoboliser, you will also find that you dont need the drivers side engine mount fabricating as the mk1 mount will bolt straight on, they are 150hp and big port head same as the agu

Back to the top
Nice one, didnt know that. What can you find aeb engines in?

So with one of those you could use the OEM ecu but not have to worry about the clocks and keys?

ShackTools.com

Back to the top
Can be found in passats and audi a4's, exactly no need to use the clocks and keys or get it re-programed, theres always other options for any of the 20v engines anyway you can run them on a dizzy and g60 management

Back to the top
christ, thats cheap. ?1800, was that including the purchase price of engine etc.

cant wait to do this now

Back to the top
But doesnt using the engines from a passats or a4 have its own set of problems with manifolds, etc?

ShackTools.com

Back to the top

cost

i wanted to do the conversion myself and see how cheap i could get it

the engine cost me a bag of sand (1k)

ecu ?200
intercooler ?100
wideband ?130
various pipes and metals for fab work ?100

and i reckon the rest has been for bits like fan belt cambelt fuel filter plugs coilpacks ect ect

i only did the conversion because i was told that it couldny be done for less than 4k well guess what it can  :lol:

even now i still think if i was to do another one i could do it cheaper but what you have to remeber is its a working progress although it will be on the road i will start replacing stuff as it breaks ie cv joints driveshafts

and anything else that is likely to break

although for 4k you get a good conversion you dont get the pleasure or the knowledge that you do when you do it yourself

if anyone wants an ecu that can run a 20vt go megasquirt it has lots more options than emerald or dta plus its allways being updated so you can get more features

Back to the top

CaiosG60PWR said

But doesnt using the engines from a passats or a4 have its own set of problems with manifolds, etc?

Not realy, use the agu inlet manifold, the aeb exhaust manifold and turbo does actualy have its advantage as you can by an off the shelf downpipe to fit this setup in the mk1
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.