Skip navigation

Tuning a 1.6GTI Old Skool Style

Back to the top

Tuning a 1.6GTI Old Skool Style

scan scan scan scan scan  :pray:

Back to the top
:lol: , sorry to keep peeps waiting, but been just generally a busy guy what with 4 kids, the business, Carbon etc etc. Anyways, grabbed 5 mins this am and scanned some stuff from the skeete catalogue, and also the CCC Tune-In article, will try and get some more done over the next year  :lol: (only joking , will hopefully be in the next week or so). Anyways, enjoy the read:
Skeete Stuff, note the comment re the bank balance being kept more healthy doing it in this order:

CCC Tune-In article, ignore the Mk2 golf GTI, and the 2nd pic being a mk1 golf engine shot ?!?!?, engine logic no doubt is the same

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
Good work there. I'll have a good read through that article when I get the chance…

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
the very top sheet is exactly what i did to mine back in the day… but now she's gone  :cry:

however…

… cunning me kept all the bits! teehee  :mrgreen:

should be picking up mk1 number 2 this week! WOOHOO!!

i'll get her rolling roaded once all the bits are bolted up and post the figures up here so you have some kind of reference, have to try and source another cam though, last one kinda didnt like the wrong pistons that were in there… compression was a tad high so i never got the damn thing running right before she left me  :roll:

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top
cheers Turbs  :y:

Back to the top

me said

you need the golf october 03 issue theres a tuned 1600 by volkspeed in there.
spec in short
30 thou overbore
forged pistons
fully lightened and balanced
group A head with gs25 cam
audi 5 cylinder throttle body
4 branch manifold

All of which you should ignore, I should know, I built the REAL engine for that mk1…  :roll:

Back to the top
What do you mean? Is that spec not correct?

Back to the top

chopperoli said

The more I think about it (it was some time ago) I think that was the engine in the car when the shoot was done, I know that engine was removed before the car was sold.

Back to the top
Ah right, well I'm just interested because I plan to build a similar spec 1.6 for mine and am just trying to gather info from across the board, everyone seems to go to 1.8, I must be stupid but I want to keep the short stroke crank.
40/35 valves, Schrick 276, 10:1 comp 1mm overbore pistons. Whaddya think

Back to the top
10:1 compression is very low to be honest, remember thats static compression and the longer the duration you use on the cam then the lower the volumetric efficiency is. The original engine had 41/35 valve, lightweight followers (using lash caps) Schrick 325, Mahle Intruder pistons (approx 13:1 compression). The injectors were from the M10 BMW engine and the fuel metering unit had NO part numbers!
It had a ported cast manifold which was a work of art, must have been a weeks work in it.

Most of the group H cars in Germany don't use the heron head (EG) but use the FM chambered head instead.

Keeping the short stroke is a good idea. If you deck the block 2mm you can use G60 pistons (81mm)

Back to the top
Sounds like it would be a bit hairy on the road, with the Schrick 325! I'm aiming for something good for day to day driving with a decent power hike.
I thought a 276 Schrick would be a good compromise. That's also why I am keen to retain lower compression ratios, so I can keep using 95 RON.
I've got a feeling if I go much over 10:1 there will be issues with pinking with basic K-Jet.

Are you implying that the fuel metering head that car used was a custom/modified unit? Or just one from a different model but in disguise?

Interesting about the G60 pistons you mentioned, have you done this? Don't know anything about the G60 block, do those pistons use the same wrist-pins? And the C/R?

Cheers for your advice, sounds like you know what you're talking about although I must admit i don't see how what you said about volumetric efficiency applies to this?
Oli

Back to the top

addicted said

chopperoli said

The more I think about it (it was some time ago) I think that was the engine in the car when the shoot was done, I know that engine was removed before the car was sold.

I hope it wasn't! I bought it from Neil and apparently it still had it in! it did go very well!

Back to the top

addicted said

10:1 compression is very low to be honest, remember thats static compression and the longer the duration you use on the cam then the lower the volumetric efficiency is. The original engine had 41/35 valve, lightweight followers (using lash caps) Schrick 325, Mahle Intruder pistons (approx 13:1 compression). The injectors were from the M10 BMW engine and the fuel metering unit had NO part numbers!
It had a ported cast manifold which was a work of art, must have been a weeks work in it.

Most of the group H cars in Germany don't use the heron head (EG) but use the FM chambered head instead.

Keeping the short stroke is a good idea. If you deck the block 2mm you can use G60 pistons (81mm)

What sort of power and torque would this spec motor make?

'82 Mk1 GTI 1600 UGY74X
(Mars Red, mostly…)

Back to the top
Hi everyone did those magazines ever apear anywere here???????????????

Back to the top
sorry to bring up an old thread but this peaks my interest since I would like to build up my 1.6gti and have a lil more potent motor. Should I stick with the heron head or would there be another solution. I was also adviced that a 1800 crank and g60 rods with a nice set of forged pistons would do the trick. I want the car streetable but I also want to take part in the Budapest tarmac hillclimb next spring and need a potent but original motor? any advice

Snoopys Eurotune Autosport on FBook.

http://www.facebook.com/Sn00pyB0ttz#!/pages/Snoopys-Eurotune-Autosport/160536723976091

Contact me for parts you need but cant find!

Back to the top
Fitting a 1.8 crank (with correct pistons / rods) will give you more torque and low down power which is a good thing. The heron head engine can still give really good power, but sticking with a 1.6, any decent power increases will have to be made at high RPM (eg from a long duration cam) and it will be peaky and a bit gutless low down.

You would be better off asking technical questions on a different forum mate, this one is all questions and no solid answers.

Back to the top
get yourself onto clubgti they know what there talking about

Back to the top

mags

hi turbotechnics, any chance of scans of those fast car mags as im going down the road of old school tuning mine, collecting parts as we speak many thx

Back to the top
Hya all 

Seeking a copy of fast car magazine issue num 09. It feat a MK1 GOLF TESt. It has 2 Skeete cars a white mk1. And a Yellow mk1. With a helious mk1 Shoot out test… the FRont of rhe mag feat a split of 2 sierras POWER and STYLE… 

Thanks in Advance..
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.