Skip navigation

just bought these girling 54 calipers:):):):):)

Back to the top

just bought these girling 54 calipers:):):):):)

Cheers Woza,

Vaux stud pattern is the same, 4x100 pattern is the same, but I think centre bore is slightly smaller so they wouldn't fit on VW hubs.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
one of the lads on CGTI has just suggested that another way is to drill and tap the hub to take the 12mm bolts, may be the case on yours woza.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
well i can confirm that the carriers new from vw are ?111 plus vat each never mind bolts etc on top, so me thinks i'll be sticking these back on fleabay and see what i get for em :?

anybody got any idea how much somewhere would charge for having the vauxhall ones drilled and retapped??

TG :)

Need your console repaired or mods done? drop me a pm:)

Back to the top

ThE_gOg said

well i can confirm that the carriers new from vw are ?111 plus vat each never mind bolts etc on top, so me thinks i'll be sticking these back on fleabay and see what i get for em :?

anybody got any idea how much somewhere would charge for having the vauxhall ones drilled and retapped??

You only need to drill and retap the original vw hubs already on the mk1, not the vauxhall carriers. Can't imagine anyone would charge much to do it though.

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
ah right, either do that or use some kind of spacer on the 10mm vw ones?? is this an option??

we really need to find someone who is running this setup now so they can post pics etc if poss :?

cheers

Back to the top
also anyone know if these girling 54 calipers with the 95 mm carriers are going to go for anything decent on fleabay or should i just hang on to them??

Back to the top
this aint what your looking for is it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…Z9889QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
no bud, 239mm are the ones that are already fitted, you need the girling 54 calipers to fit the mk2 16v discs, but with the 75mm carriers to get them to bolt straight on to the hub :?

thanks for helping m8

Back to the top
Hi guys ….. just found this site today!

Ok, on topic for this thread I have to A1 based cars both using Vauxhal calipers and carriers.

My Cabby is running VW Mk2 16V discs on the front with Vaux Astra mk3 16V calipers and carriers.

My Mk2 Scirocco is running G60 discs and Vaux Omaga V6 calipers.

The 256mm discs are simple as everything goes straight on using either Vaux Caviler hoses and some "top hat bushes" to take the 12mm holes down to 10mm. Holes in the sleeves are concentric.

The 280mm conversion is a little bit more of a pain. For a start they ditn't fit under the 15" wheels I had (Smiths) as the caliper is a little too deep and rubbed the wheel. I got a rond this by maching the carriers …. not a fun job!!!! Ultimately I didn't like this so got new calipers and 16" wheels.
The Omaga runs 288mm discs so you have to get the extra 4mm (radial) form somewhere or else there will be one hell of a lip on the pads and you'll be looking at an MOT failure from any decent garage. The way I did this was to drill the caliper carriers out to M14. I cold then make up top hat bushes with a 4mm offset in them (the bolts brake out of one side. To stop any chance of the top hat bushes rotating (not that they would, I'm just picky) I made the top hats largest diameter as big as I could then, once fitted, drilled a dowel hole through both and used a piece of 2mm silver steel as a dowel. Don't try welding th ebushes in place …. carrier are the wrong type of material to stand that!

I would have thought this was common knowledge by now as I was not the first to do the 256 conversion when I did it first time. I have not seen another car with the 280 conversion though………..

Be warned, the 280mm conversion comes out quite heavy. If your using it purely for the road then no problems …. if it's for the track you really have no choice but to go for willwoods or similar as the unsprung mass will kill the response of the car!!!!!

Back to the top
Cheers Roger,
Top hat spacers/bushes would make sense, I assume the depth of the thin part being slightly less than depth of hole for obvious reasons…

And the top to spread the load of the bolt onto the caliper better.

Same set up required to mount the Volvo 4-Pots it appears!

There little point in using Vauxhall gear to go to 280mm as spacing the VW calipers out is easy/cheapish.  Only the 256mm ones are hassle to get hold off!

you're right, I'm suprised this hasn't been covered more!  Once we've got it cleared up I'll wack this in the FAQ, I think its worthy  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
hi and welcome roger :D

any chance you could post some pics of you 256 set-up m8?? and of these top hats?? did you fabricate these yourself??

cheers

Back to the top
They'll be like the ones in that image mate, those are for Volvo calipers, but same difference.

Am picking up Vauxhall 16V front set up later on  8)

Back to the top
ah right, nice one m8. how are you going to go about fitting them??

are you going to use the top hat method or soemthing else??

Back to the top
I'm n ot sure about the spacers being cheapish in price …… however the ones I've seen are cheap in quality!!!

The big advantage to using the Vaux bits to go to 280mm and that is the pad size … they are huge!!!

Remember that braking efficiency is down to two things. The torque created (based on radius fron cnetere of axle of the operational centre of the pad) and friction co-efficient. The 2 ways to of increasing this are via pad / disc material (often with side effects such as not working when cold, over heating or screaming at you all the time) or simply by having more contact area.

The original VW calipers us pads about the same size as mountain bike … LOL!!!!

Omaga calipers and cariers can be had for about ?40 as not many people want them.

Just my 2ps worth ….

Back to the top
would go for the turbos but have 14"s and want to keep them  :P

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.