Skip navigation

What would you change

Back to the top

What would you change

paul_c said

2. Having the boot lip lower, as you typically find on modern hatches and estates these days.   

??? what you mean?

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

paul_c said

2. Having the boot lip lower, as you typically find on modern hatches and estates these days.   

??? what you mean?

The hatch opening isn't low enough - the bottom of the tailgate is above the rear lights. If you look at a modern hatchback, or an estate car, its just above the bumper.

Back to the top
Keep it the same just build it again!!

Back to the top
Make the golf GTD avaliable in the uk… :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

paul_c said

AL_Mk1 said

paul_c said

??? what you mean?

The hatch opening isn't low enough - the bottom of the tailgate is above the rear lights. If you look at a modern hatchback, or an estate car, its just above the bumper.

Oh right - I see what you mean.
I actually like and prefer it that way. The boot aperture is a hell of a lot wider that many modern cars. We used to have a 206 and the opening in that was rediculously narrow!

Back to the top
Aside from the rustproofing and the light's buzzer (it's so good to know i'm not the only one) i'dd like my rear windows to be able to roll down properly… not just halfway. Hmm and maybe electric instead of manual :) but thats just cause i'm lazy

Back to the top

That's to deter you from putting things in the boot - keep the weight down :twisted:

Have to say few things I would change apart from the servo being fitted to the drivers side on rhd models.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
1. Headlights
2. Brake pedal efficiency for RHD
3. Driver seat a few inches further back for my long legs
4. Wiper speed - they were aweful even from new
5. Interior light to RHS for RHD
6. Seat cover durability, especially non sport seat versions

Banner

Back to the top
alright dubboy, calm down!

it is trying!  :wink:

Back to the top
The burning question is, though, would you make modifications to your car to try and improve on some of these slight weaknesses, or would you leave it as-is for authenticity? And how far would you go? I've always recalled the phrase that Quentin Wilson used in the feature on the Golf GTI in "The Car's the Star" programme: "Why guild a lily which doesn't need guilding"?

I think we would all agree, that, at the time, looking at the then competition, that VW got it right with the Golf and successfully replaced the Beetle. They've had their fair share of dogs in the past & present tho (Type 4, K70, ?Phaeton?)

Back to the top
Yeah, reinforced material on the seat bolsters! Or a slightly easier-to-access fuse box (some cars are worse). As for the rest - I think VW did a damn good job! No silly designs or thoughtless layouts in the series 2 that I can think of…a pleasure to drive. P.S - You don't need power steering! It's the electric windows, power steering and air conditioning that weigh down modern cars…but the mk1 Golf can fly on fresh air without the extra weight to drag around…that's if you can cope without the luxuries  :wink:

Back to the top
the only thing i would change is the use of the 256 audi / passat brake setup   :?  :banghead:  :banghead:
it was available at the time why did they not use it??????????????
every thing else WAS just fine :lol:
any way where would we all be if it was perfect from factory? :roll:

and would there be a sayin "made in germany refined in englan" etc??????
comparing it to cars from the same era it was well ahead of its time as was the mk2 and 3

if the sumps not dented its not low enough

standard origonal 82 mk1 jetta c     for sale

Back to the top
I've thought up another: at the time, the non-fitment of a stereo was a bit stingy. This is really quite a minor issue though, because it was pretty easy for the dealers to put one in if they wanted to.

Back to the top
mmm, yeah maybe a little more room for us tall 'uns! my left knee touches the gearstick, probs cos theres nowhere foward to put my left foot - very high pedal box dont u all find?? my feet are almost vertical!

and cos im a tight sod on fuel, a 5th gear would be nice :wink:  even though id still use 4th everywhere i like to have another higher if u know what i mean, so im not aleays in top gear! :roll:

other than that sweet as a nut, wouldnt change anything alse for the world :D

galvanised would be nice, but hey, 25 years old, mines still original and solid as a rock, look at other cars from that time, rotten to the core now! 8O

Greg 8)

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top

jimbo16v said

any way where would we all be if it was perfect from factory? :roll:

Richer!  :wink:

Back to the top
well said that man  :wink:

if the sumps not dented its not low enough

standard origonal 82 mk1 jetta c     for sale

Back to the top
better off maybe yes, but bored, deffinatly :lol:

Back to the top
As Noel Gallagher once sang…'True perfection has to be imperfect' !  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.