Skip navigation

9" servo conversion question????

Back to the top

9" servo conversion question????

One quick question.

Is it right that the hole in the clevis fork on the 9" servo is 2mm bigger than the standard servo?  :banghead:

If it is how do I get around it? It doen't seem that the old fork wants to part company with the old servo.

Cheers

Back to the top
The old clevis does come off, you just have to be a bit heavy handed. I think I put the clevis in the vice and used mole grips on the servo rod to rotate it. Then cut the new servo thread down so there's only enough to go through the mk1 clevis.

Back to the top
Lots more info in Archive's

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
hold up, i'm confused, I didn't have to modify anything to fit mine….

I cant remember which pin I used (mk1 or 16V) , but it all fit together with no problems…

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

hold up, i'm confused, I didn't have to modify anything to fit mine….

I cant remember which pin I used (mk1 or 16V) , but it all fit together with no problems…

Yup, thats what I thought too  :lol:

The servo I'm using came off an 89 german spec 16v, I'll go out to the UK spec 86 car later and see what that uses.

I can't take any material out of the eye on the link mechanism as its bushed.

Back to the top
Guys if you read the archive its this bit of info you need ……..

'Leave all the brackets as they are. Just need the servo itself and the master. Remember to swap the clevis pin on the back of the servo over with the mk1 part. The mk1 part has a hole drilled in it for the return spring.'

And cut off the excess thread on the new servo . The mk2 servo does not have that slot for the spring . I can remember a user looking for a MK1 clevis pin as he threw his away while doing this conversion . Earlier Passat's i am told had this slot . Maybe that is what you fitted . :dontknow:      

Chudd……………..

Back to the top
:oops: cheers chudd   :)

just remember doing a straight swop, lucky we've got tech editors to save the day… :oops:

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
The clevis on the mk1/scirocco servo was wound right down the thread and very tight against the shoulder of the shaft. I did manage to remove it eventually  :lol:

I took a measurement from the back of the servo body before I removed it so it would be set correctly on the 9" servo. And lo and behold the corect place on the 9" servo is tight against the shoulder on the shaft.

Manic,

Can you get a pipe into the master cylinder in the port nearest the bulkhead on the n/s with the fluid reservoir turned around?

Cheers.

Back to the top
you can get a pipe into all 4 no probs, i've got one there.

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

you can get a pipe into all 4 no probs, i've got one there.

Cheers.

I think I've sorted the "correct proportioning valve" dilema too, for a tenner  :lol:

Back to the top
stew you do know that the valves on uk cars are different from the prop valves on cars fitted with rear discs dont you (incase thats what you where thinking) and no im not giving my source away before you ask  :lol:

Back to the top

storm81 said

stew you do know that the valves on uk cars are different from the prop valves on cars fitted with rear discs dont you (incase thats what you where thinking) and no im not giving my source away before you ask  :lol:

Yup.

I've got two perfectly suitable valves for a tenner  :wink:

and why don't you want to give up your source? It took me all of half an hour to work out where I could find the ones I've got.

Back to the top

Brakes! 16v Conversion

Hey, have tried to find someone on previous post who is having my problem, but to no avail.

Got my wee 16v all running, starts, idles etc…. HOWEVER…(!) the breaks are causing a headache. I'm still hoping to be able to bring her down to Gti Fest.

The car is running the Mk1 Servo with the Mk2 master cylinder ( was already on when i undertook the project).  The brake pipes are connected so each of the two connectors ( on the M/Cy) has a front and a rear brake pipes on it. System pressure bled, and a very firm pedal. The brake seem incliuned to sticj just a tad.

However when i start to drive, the brakes progressively stick on, until it's impossible to drive any further. This can be sorted by simply opening ANY bleed nipple and letting the pressure out, and the brakes free. I have checked for seized callipers/cylinders also.

The fact that merely relieving the pressure sorts it, show that a sezived calliper is not the problem. BUT WHAT IS?!?!

When i unplug the servo, the problem virtually disappears. ( though brake do seem to stick on just slightly.

I'm on quite a tight time scale now, any thoughts please?!

Cheers, Jamie

Back to the top
it MUST be the late 16v servo and master cylinder, the pusrod in the mk2 master is a tad longer so its like running round with ur foot on the brakes, once they start to heat up they expand making the problem worse which stops the car with glowwing disks, let the pressure out and away u go, change to a late 16v servo its the only way to cure it.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
THanks for that,

How does that figure with the distributor bit? It would appear it will not fit ( the master cylinder will foul the dizzy)

How can i get round that?

Cheers mate, much appreciated

Jamie

Back to the top
ok, done my research, i figure that this audi 16v (6a) dizzy cap will fit on?

I'll swap the servos tmrw so i've got a mk2 16v servo AND m/cylinder and get this dizzy on monday. Fingers crossed. All thats left is sort some lights n stuff, a rotten wishbone and …. thats it. Then start doing the body, though don't know if i will bother, as long as she runs…

j

Back to the top
Hey All! Could anyone throw up some pics of the modifications needed to the brake pipes when fitting the servo and m/c from the 16v mk2.
This would be a great help!!

Cheers

F#$k them New Model Cars We Ridin Old School

Back to the top
put the Mk2 servo on with the mk2 m/s.

Volkswarren, i'm having problems still. When i put the assembly together, the m/s doesnt fit on the servo without forcing it. In doing so, i'm compressing the cylinder so that once its all tightened, there is only about 2 cm worth of travel in the cylinder, so the brakes hardly work. I would appear i need to shorten the pushrod in the servo, or something, can you enlighten me please,

( I have tightened the bulkheadside of the servo pushrod right up to the clevis fork)

Many THanks, Jamie

Back to the top
are you sure its a 90 spec mk2 16v servo?? is there a part number on it?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
i've been told its from an E-reg Mk2 16v.

Is that the prob?

I know someone breaking two, does it have to be 1990 onwards?

Cheers mate
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.