Skip navigation

Check this out it's flying on ebay

Back to the top

Check this out it's flying on ebay

to give him his due , he has been very clever, it takes alot to come up with that kind of ad, and hey its given me some entertainment.

but i too hate misrepresentation, i wouldnt do it in my job so dont see why others should. :x

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
i'd of rather gone for the  b plate lhasa green one which was on around the same time, must of got his ?3k as it was taken off early. campaigns are rare but on a b plate 85? i no its only the reg it would of been made the same, but not many folks have a b plate mk1!

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

dubboy said

So there are a few things wrong with it and some grey areas needed following up. But then it didn't go for top money either.

8O

So what is top money for a cosmetically resprayed Mk1?

Yes its very shiney, but its let down by detail and it isn't going to be concours. I'd be pretty sure thats top moneyfor what it is.

Back to the top
I meant top money as in for an original example with low miles.

Banner

Back to the top

It was me!

Hi chaps,

I was the one who bought it, interesting reading the thread, i agree with your comments and will be challenging him with them when I go and pick it up.

If this car is ok it will just sit in my garage and rarely be used, i hope its gonna be the right one!

I pick it up Thursday so i will let you know what its like.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!! :dontknow:

Back to the top
Look forward to hearing what your thoughts are on it and the seller. As you can prob see it's caused quite a stir on here. Look forward to maybe seeing you at a few meets and Also ay the Club show at Gaydon.

MK1 GTI 1983 (love of my life)
Mazda MX3 1.8 V6 ( Daily Drive)

Back to the top

Re: It was me!

l4mbo said

Hi chaps,

I was the one who bought it, interesting reading the thread, i agree with your comments and will be challenging him with them when I go and pick it up.

If this car is ok it will just sit in my garage and rarely be used, i hope its gonna be the right one!

I pick it up Thursday so i will let you know what its like.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!! :dontknow:

i knew this was going to happen.

this car is undoubtedly a great great mk1.  the only thing that the site was doing was showing that it wasnt perfect, so dont worry that your car is in poor nick. it is smashing!

i think you got  good price for the car, so sleep well knowing that you have a very tidy original (as any car of that age can be) mk1 golf.

Andrew

Back to the top
but at least the buyer will be clued up now, he can either look and make sure he's happy, and thats what really counts, if not walk away, he can't really be held by the winning bids a contract bull, as its not as per the listing, if a dealer don't no the cars been resprayed with the car in front of him, and we  can tell from photo's he'll be lucky to stay in buisness, but it's more likely he's well aware of the car, and what it should be, but he's thought low mileage low owners, $$$$$ a coat of paint and new stickers i'll make a mint here!!! :twisted:
just my opinion, if i was selling it and i'd restored it i would want who ever saw it to know what work had go into it. not pass it off as original, untouched by the passage of time!

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
l4mbo   
nice one for saying hi mate, ebays tricky at the best of times, but the car is nice, consider this thread ammunition for your negotiations and best of luck.

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
i'd really like to here how you get on thursday, let us now how you get on.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top
I hope it looks as good in the flesh as it does in most of the pictures, there is only a few minor problems and i'm sure you could sort those easy enough. At least you were informed to all the flaws so you could make your own mind up about bidding.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back to the top
thanks all for the kind words, it could be worse, im one of them that buys without thinking but im taking a friend down who restores mk1 gti's and im taking down a print out of the pointers off this thread. I will definately try and make a meet, that is if this car makes it back from Farnham to Derby!!! Oh and its great to be able to read something like this and get advice like ive got, so any advice even if it seems a bit below the belt is always appreciated.

I will post a new message when ive got it and let you all know what its like!

Back to the top
I'm at odds to see how you can challenge the guy about anything as you have bought it.  :?

Theres a reason why people put cars on 10 day listings, to give people a chance to view before bidding.

If I sold something on ebay and the buyer wanted to pick holes and negotiate when they turned up to collect I wouldn't be too happy…..

Back to the top
but if i had spent 4.5k on a factory condition motor and it turned out to have been resprayed i wouldnt be too happy either, it works both ways.

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
but if u list stuff incorrectly (i don't mean anyone on here just in general)the buyer can just walk, and say not as discribed, ebay listings need to be accurate, if there not a buyer is well within their rites to say no thank you.
may get neg but that wouldn't bother me non if there was a response saying not as discribed.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

l4mbo said

I will post a new message when ive got it and let you all know what its like!

Hi l4mbo,

Welcome to the site! I'm sure the car is going to be nice, though as already said, take a copy of this thread and check all that has been pointed out. If it doesn't feel right, then walk away as it is not as described, so you will be within your rights!

I'd say, post a picture if you get it, though I think we've seen just about every angle we could possibly see of that car!  :P

AL.

Back to the top
Point is guys you get off your arse and go and look at something like this before you bid, or you take the chance and don't complain.  :banghead:

As for misrepresentation, I don't think the guy has actually misrepresented anything. Maybe all the facts haven't been disclosed, but unless something contary has been stated then its not misrepresentation.

Face it, if you were selling something on ebay, it made very good money and the buyer came along and started to haggle yopu would not be happy.

Back to the top

stew72 said

As for misrepresentation, I don't think the guy has actually misrepresented anything. Maybe all the facts haven't been disclosed, but unless something contary has been stated then its not misrepresentation.

Some of the wording is a bit dodgy though, "untouched by the passage of time" would probably hold up as you would expect every car to be "touched" (servicing for example).

One point is definitely wrong though and that is "the car is complete with all the various factory stickers (both on the glass and in the shuts)". The car is missing a few stickers as pointed out before. That alone means the winning bidder can walk away.

Banner

Back to the top
If the seller is a trader, he is expected to have "expert" knowledge in the field and therefore you can basically tell him where to go if he plays ignorent to any respray or any other aspects which defect from a "factory condition golf" (providing all these defects pointed out are true). Although he's worded the advert as if it's his own oppinioun which would not mormally count as misrepresentation, a trader is still an "expert" and should know better therefore it would be seen as misrepresentation. If it's a private seller, you will have less protection with regards to misrepresentation and all that jazz, as you have to assume they are selling the car in good faith.

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top

dubboy said

stew72 said

Some of the wording is a bit dodgy though, "untouched by the passage of time" would probably hold up as you would expect every car to be "touched" (servicing for example).

One point is definitely wrong though and that is "the car is complete with all the various factory stickers (both on the glass and in the shuts)". The car is missing a few stickers as pointed out before. That alone means the winning bidder can walk away.

No it doesn't.

Playing devils advocate here. How would the seller be aware if all the factory stickers were present without any referance to what should be there? As for "untouched by the passage of time", I've a mate we call "the passage of time" and I'll personally guarentee he's not touched that car  :wink:

If the guys trade then theres a case, but if he's not stated he's trade and you can't prove otherwise (basically if you can prove that he sells a car a month for profit then he can be viewed as a trader-not as easy as you might think) then its a case of buyer beware. Hence the need to view anything before you bid.

I think you'll find that to prove he's misrepresented it you'd need something more solid, even the FSH claim would be a grey area as he has also listed the servicing. Yes there's gaps, but its there for all to see.

I think you'll find the ebay rules will favour the seller and while its unclear how enforcable these are, just by signing up you are agreeing to ebays terms and conditions, which include these rules.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.