Skip navigation

New engine...golf mk1, where to buy from?

Back to the top

New engine...golf mk1, where to buy from?

hi guys,

im looking to buy a new 1600 mk1 8v engine for my golf…i was about to get mine rebuilt but the mechanic found a hairline crack in the head…

id like to keep everything original, so my question is where can i buy an engine from…maybe even a race tuned one?

many thanks!

Back to the top
i am just about on the finsihing end of getting an new engine installed into my mk1 after a damamged crank shaft and many other problems.

if you still like the idea of reconditioning an engine, i would highly recommend, 'scouse' or 'crazyquiff' on the furum. Although i didnt buy a used engine from them they were very helpful all the same.

I eventually went and bought a VEGE engine. I think they have their own website.  I got the 1.8 8v so not sure if they do a 1.6 8v.  they are VAG engines though and of the highest quality (so i am told)

i was recomennded 'big boys toys' or something like that. i'm sure if you google it you will find it.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Andrew

Back to the top
Just had a look on both websites.
Very expensive.
For that kind of money i may as well install a tuned sport engine in.
Anyone no of anymore info pls let me no.
Cheers.

Back to the top
you want top stuff then try
oemparts.co.uk

Back to the top
just looked at the site it aint very good but you can get a full 1.6 for ?1070-
ouch 8O

Back to the top
Cheers 4 that.
The OEM website does not do any engines for a 1.6 as far as i can see.
I mite just put the engine back in and sell the car. :cry:  :cry:

Back to the top
i have a 1.8 engine sitting in the shed, took it out last year when i did my conversion, went very well, have a pic somewhere, i wanted 200 for it
had a head rebuild on 107,000, took it out on 124,000, have reciepts  to prove plus all the mot's and service history for u to look at…

Back to the top

yea

yea i have plenty of mk1 1600 gti engines in stock all with very low mileage . ave got one that has had a rebuild

Back to the top
i've just been to visit my mk1 which is getting its new VEGE engine. looks superb and sounds the business. i am hopefully picking it up tomorrow and after almost 8 weeks  :banghead:  off the road i am sooooo excited.

i'll let you know how i get on though.  :pray:

Andrew

Back to the top

TheMarkedOne said

Cheers 4 that.
The OEM website does not do any engines for a 1.6 as far as i can see.
I mite just put the engine back in and sell the car. :cry:  :cry:
yeah website aint up to parr but in golf+ they list loads

Back to the top

Re: yea

Hi there Scouse.
Can you let me have some contact details pls and also wot kinda prices am lookin at.
I am idealy looking for the bottom end of the engine.
My email is…..
inzajaeno@hotmail.com

many thanks mate:)

PS…need my baby back on the road  8)  8)  8)

scouse said

yea i have plenty of mk1 1600 gti engines in stock all with very low mileage . ave got one that has had a rebuild

Back to the top

hi

hi sent you pm :D

Back to the top

FINALY!!!!!

Hi all.
I have sourced a bottom end engine from Scouse.
Its sounds very promising:)
Really grateful for all your help guts.
Will have pics once the car is finished.
Ez all.

Back to the top

yea

glad i can help you show some pics when done

Back to the top

Update.

Hi all.
Spoke to Scouse and he said i should be getting the bottom end Tomorow…
Cant wait.
I have sourced my Cylinder head wich is Ported with a piper cam.
Will keep you guys posted:)

Back to the top
Hi guys, just an update….
Still waitin for the bottom end 1600 gti block from Scouse. Been over a week now.
AM very sad as my baby is still in the garage.
Will keep you posted.
Nice 1.

Back to the top
Have you thought of trying a mk3 2lt engine block? Fitted one to my mark 1 caddy  and it now goes like stink, very cheap to buy and easy to fit. Check out april's golf mag on a conversion

Back to the top
may i ask what piper cam you have?

the reason I ask is that I have a piper285 cam with a head, but i was told it was a bad idea to fit it to my brand new VEGE engine.    :mrgreen:  (sorry)

what sort of tick over will it have? lumpy?

thanks, Andrew

Back to the top

Ez....

Ez guys. At the moment am a bit upset as i have paid Scouse for the bottom block last week. He assured me that it would be with me on tuesday and then he said it will be here by today. I still have not got my bottom block and cant even get hold of him. I am very upset as i am a student as saved up my hard earned cash to pay for the item.
Like i said when and if i hear from him i will keep you posted.
In the meantime if anyone has any contacts for him or address pls do let me no as i am indeed of this block which he promised me. :roll:  :roll:

Back to the top
i've been trying to get in contact with him too on two occasions now. no idea where he has gone.

i feel for you man. my car was off the road for 9 weeks instead of 1 because people let me down.

i'm sure scouse has a good excuse…

Regards, Andrew

There are too many online users to list.