Skip navigation

Can anyone tell me what I have got??

Back to the top

Can anyone tell me what I have got??

volkswarren said

well that is a 1.6 with a carb, did u buy it as a gti?  u might want to ask for your money back, doesn't matter if it was trade or private, as trading standards would take this up for you. as you might have real trouble selling this on.

Tbh all I wanted was a cabby, wasn't bothered if it was a GTI or not really. This was cheap and cheerful and seemed OK bodywise and had a new hood so I bought it. It runs fine and passed its MOT with no probs so I'm not too bothered really. (Is that really bad??)

Where on the engine can you find the engine number so that I can check and see if it is different from the log book and on the car?

Back to the top
ayup, its a mk2 carb engine, when u get it back to your house giz a shout and ill come have a look,
got u them lights btw,
paul

Back to the top
the engine number should be under the 3rd spark plug, on the flat section in the photo,  i don't mean to worry you, but u have no chassi id plate on the front pannel also behind the carb where the rubber is it looks like the chassi number has been cut out, i'm not 100% sure on this as its covered, but i would check this first before u worry about the engine, there should also be a white sticker in the boot on the rear cross member, about the size of a window on an envolpe this should have the chassi id on it too. really don't mean to worry you, but i would get this checked. but not by the boys in blue!! there's a buyers guide to cabs on here read that then check ur id numbers.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I like the battery clamp thats different  :wink:
wrong battery by the way,be careful that it dont rub on the bonnet when its shut.
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

tomo320 said

ayup, its a mk2 carb engine, when u get it back to your house giz a shout and ill come have a look,
got u them lights btw,
paul

:cry: Paul, it looks like I really need your help!!

I'm in every night this week so feel free to come round whenever. Looks like I need you to check it over very carefully if you don't mind!  8O

Back to the top

volkswarren said

the engine number should be under the 3rd spark plug, on the flat section in the photo,  i don't mean to worry you, but u have no chassi id plate on the front pannel also behind the carb where the rubber is it looks like the chassi number has been cut out, i'm not 100% sure on this as its covered, but i would check this first before u worry about the engine, there should also be a white sticker in the boot on the rear cross member, about the size of a window on an envolpe this should have the chassi id on it too. really don't mean to worry you, but i would get this checked. but not by the boys in blue!! there's a buyers guide to cabs on here read that then check ur id numbers.

8O EeeeK! I'll have a look and report back. I know that there is a plate on the outside rim that the bonnet shuts on to so I thought that was where it was supposed to go.

Back to the top
nps i wouldnt worry about it as long as it goes ok, parts are plentiful and it looks solid enough, it definatley aint a gti engine tho, theres an early 1.6 carb engine with points too might be one of them 1588 with points, u in thursday evening? that vans a go-go with missus if its still ok?
cheers,
paul

Back to the top

tomo320 said

nps i wouldnt worry about it as long as it goes ok, parts are plentiful and it looks solid enough, it definatley aint a gti engine tho, theres an early 1.6 carb engine with points too might be one of them 1588 with points, u in thursday evening? that vans a go-go with missus if its still ok?
cheers,
paul

Yep. Will be in Thursday night anytime to suit you. See you then.

Caroline

Back to the top
Hi. Similarly, I have a 1990 mk1 cabby. In Feb, I bought an additional donor car for cheap which was advertised as a GTI. It was a 1984 (B reg) dark blue with cream leather interior model.

Anyway, I needed to get the AA man out as it was advertised as a non runner when I collected it. When he arrived and checked it out, he told me, in no uncertain terms, that this was a carburettor model and did not look like a GTI at all. He was right. But, he also said that the car didn't look like it had undergone an engine swap! It's now at a local mk1 breakers but I still effectively own the car. I never checked the engine ID against the V5 but if I get the chance soon, I will. Needless to say that I was very confused with what I had but I sacked investigating it at the time as it wasn't pivotal to me ripping out the leather, hood alloys etc off it.

Glad to see that someone else is smilarly puzzled!

Will post the result of my enquiry into whether the engine ID corresponds with the V5 as soon as possible.

Steve.

'91 mk1 cabby

Back to the top
Let me know what you find out. Very puzzling!!  :?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.