Skip navigation

Goodness me, what a pair!

Back to the top

Goodness me, what a pair!

Illyun, still for sale, I had a guy come down from Staffs on Sunday, we agreed a price to suit his budget over the phone, he had a look around the car and decided against it. Puzzled I asked why? he replied theres some rust spots on the passenger side splash gaurd!!!! After he left I had good look under to find naff all wrong with it. Ah well no great loss and it means I've got it for a bit longer.

Glad you guys like it, and yes I also agree about these models starting to gain more notorioty, bit there really aren't very many of them about as old as mine, May 1985 its her 21st this year.

If anybody wants a nice ones this one is up for ?2995 ono

Back to the top

richyrich said

keep your eyes peeled for some before and after pics. I will do one side with Auto Glym and one side with back to black. Will post the results so we can all share in what the best product is. I have four arches (no sh*t sherlock) so if anyone can name another two products which they reccomend or ,even four if I do the bumbers, then I will get one of each and do a proper test with pics straight after and then 1-2 weeks later

Any progress here rich?

Back to the top
not yet only got it back on Saturday. keep your eyes peeled after the weekend. Will start a new post

MK1 GTI 1983 (love of my life)
Mazda MX3 1.8 V6 ( Daily Drive)

Back to the top
did you ever do this Rich?  :dontknow:

Back to the top
If you want your bumper shine to last you need to heat it with a heat gun from 8" away until it starts top go black again then spray it with back to black , if you do it properly it will last for ages .

Al you gotta sell that mk2 and get another mk1 !!!!!! (white cabby from 5ways meet )

Back to the top

marsredgti said

did you ever do this Rich?  :dontknow:

I have done this, only not how I intended.
Started off with back to black which was satisfactory for about an hour.
Used some of my mates Autoglym on the rear bumber and that was ok but not fantastic still.
But then I found the holy grail the absolute dogs danglies.
The stuffs made by Turtle wax and it's called Black in flash, I think, I'll check the name later.
It's basicaly like a cream stuff that you rub in to the plastiv wait a couple of minutes (or the time it takes you to work around the car) and then your rub it off.
This is absolutely fantastic made the trim look like new. Again it lasted a couple of weeks and now it's started to fade a bit and I did have to do a couple of bits twice but that more down to my slopiness than the product.
The car is a bit grubby at the mo as have been using it as a daily driver but will wash tonight and take some before and after photo's (promise)
Also found that if your seals and rubber are lookign a bit tatty as mine were then get some tyre blackener put it on a cloth and wipe it over them and that restores them quite well (bit of a bodge but have to spend money elsewhere at the mo)
Don't know if this damages the paintwork so I masked around them first (better to be safe than sorry)
Also those wheels cleaning things with the brush on top that you get from the garages are really good. not used on the golf yet but it got the Mazda wheels spakling and they've never been cleaned.

Sorry bout the Essay

MK1 GTI 1983 (love of my life)
Mazda MX3 1.8 V6 ( Daily Drive)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.